SRT 10 Coolant

great thanks!!! I love this forum super fast responses! The dealer is going to replace the oil line January 10th and then im going to set aside some cash for when they leak again and buy the kit from JTSVP. I have to buy front brakes first. Vibrates terribly when braking.

I have been told we use antifreeze called HOAT, and HOAT is not compatible with other formulas. It is ORANGE, not red, and not the same as Dexcool. Normally, i would not bother saying anything, however, after my truck sat for 5 years, i drained the coolant and it looked brand new. The inside of my coolant jackets in the engine looked as shiny and spotless as the day the engine was made. It is about $22 a gallon at your local autoparts store, and should only be mixed with distilled water. I highly reccomend spending the extra few bucks and getting it.

evans coolant???

If your interested, read on....

Automotive antifreeze/coolant is made of ethylene glycol, water, and a chemical additive package. For many years, there was only one type of antifreeze on the market, conventional green. Antifreeze technology, however, has become significantly more complex in the last several years with the introduction of Dexcool and other extended life antifreeze formulas. There are three main types of antifreeze on the market. They all contain an ethylene glycol base, water, dye and an additive package. Colored dye is added for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type. The additive package is what makes them different.

Conventional green antifreeze formulations usually contain a number of inorganic corrosion inhibitors that provide immediate corrosion protection because they maintain the pH of the solution (buffer it), but are consumed or transformed chemically as they perform their functions. As the coolant is heated and cooled, and exposed to air, the components of the conventional antifreeze additive package are depleted over time. This causes the pH to drop, and is why the coolant should be changed out every two years or 24,000 miles.

Dexcool-type extended life coolants use organic acid technology to inhibit corrosion, and are referred to as OAT based coolants. OAT antifreezes are touted as having longer potential service life than conventional antifreezes because of the fact that the components in the additive package are not chemically consumed as they perform their function of inhibiting corrosion. The chemicals used in the OAT type formulas protect metals from corrosion by forming a thin, molecular coating on them, and because of this, are not as fast acting as conventional inorganic formulas. However, as long as the cooling system is kept sufficiently full and coolant is not lost due to leakage nor diluted by top-off with water or conventional antifreeze, it will continue to function properly. Unfortunately, if the cooling system is not properly maintained, a “red muck” is likely to form and could cause serious cooling system problems.

The third type of antifreeze on the market today is the hybrid OAT, known as HOAT (or G O-5). One of the primary problems with OAT formulations is that they are not compatible with conventional antifreezes. The chemicals used in OAT antifreeze react to some extent with some of the inorganic salts and other components in conventional antifreeze. The result of this interaction is the generation of cloudiness and precipitates. HOAT formulations are called hybrid because the additive package contains ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both.
Hybrid OAT antifreezes provide both fast acting and extended life corrosion protection, eliminate the problem of anti- freeze compatibility, and therefore are compatible with all types and colors of antifreeze.

Unfortunately, many automotive professionals consider all extended life antifreeze to be “Dexcool” and associate all the problems related to “Dexcool” with both OAT and HOAT formulas. The result of this misconception is often replacing the extended life coolant with conventional green. Industry experts say that this can be done safely if all of the green antifreeze is removed from the system. However, auto manufacturers recommend specific formulations and replacing the factory fill coolant with a different type that doesn’t meet the manufacturer’s specifications could cause liability issues down the road. A much safer solution is to replace OAT systems with HOAT coolant which meets OAT specifications.

I have been told we use antifreeze called HOAT, and HOAT is not compatible with other formulas. It is ORANGE, not red, and not the same as Dexcool. Normally, i would not bother saying anything, however, after my truck sat for 5 years, i drained the coolant and it looked brand new. The inside of my coolant jackets in the engine looked as shiny and spotless as the day the engine was made. It is about $22 a gallon at your local autoparts store, and should only be mixed with distilled water. I highly reccomend spending the extra few bucks and getting it.

You are correct, its indeed orange, not red. I just call it red I guess, lol. I believe as long as it G-05 rated its ok. Has different aluminum oxidation inhibitors.
Reds / orange can be mixed. Can't mix with green! It will coagulate!

Not trying to start any fights, just making sure people who read know what they are reading. I spent many hours trying to figure this out, after a dipshit at my local autoparts store told me it took 18 quarts, which he was correct about, but told me it was $22 a QUART. I quite literally shat myself, then proceeded to look up everything i could about the antifreeze they use in our engines. I have also read that HOAT and OAT are not compatible, and have seen on the bottles where it states just that. What i personally am doing, is coughing up a little extra $$ and buying genuine Mopar fluid. No questions, and for the extra few $$ now i can foresee a much happier self if/when i need to pull the engine apart.

great information!! i read about HOAT in the manual but had no idea! Ill find out about it and see if the store has it around here.

Zerex G-05 HOAT(hybrid organic acid technology), orange in color. They make the coolant for mother Mopar and MB. NAPA carries it.

Back