SRT or Cummins

mgwarrior350

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in buying a new truck or trading my 06 jeep commander for a pickup. I have been stuck between the SRT10 ram qc and the Ram qc Cummins 6.7 diesel. I have been favoring more the srt. I no that everyone has their own opinion on what is the best. I also know there are a lot of forums out there which compare them. I am located in lower ny. It does snow here so that is the only major concern I have with the srt but I can use another car if needed. My major issue is for the money spent, looks aside, what can I make faster with some basic mods. Such as a full exhaust, intake, programmer or computer and some other mild mods nothing to extreme, I used nitrous a few times but I think it’s a cheater mod. The modo now is all throttle no bottle. I already had my jeep go through all the major work and I don’t want a car like that anymore. I am also looking for something reliable. I love speed not gonna lie, and I love it even more when you smoke some sports cars with a truck either kind. I will probably drag race a few times but that’s not what I really enjoy. What really gets me going are those random highway runs from like a 30 roll going full throttle. So my questions are:
1: For the money spent besides the cost of the truck which is cheaper to make it run in the 13’s?
2:On insurance which of the two is cheaper?
3:Which of the 2 is more reliable?
4:In ny if you were in my situation which would you choose?
5:After doing some of the minor mods which truck is the dealer going to be more lenient with?
6:Also on both how reliable are the transmissions?

Thanks for the help on this 1

I have a 08 maga cab with the Cummins and love it. Its never been down the track but well this summer. I only have 13,000 miles so time will tell on the trans. My SRT 10 is a RC and ran 13.4's stock. Qc's are slower with the auto. Don't know what it would cost to get the Cummins ihto the 13's. But viper motors are not cheap to work on. Mind ins. is the same on both. Ins. co. doesn't know about the mods.

sounds to me like you already picked the srt 10...now why would you want a diesel... to race or pull stuff? As far as insurance...how old are you? To be honest the diesel's are more reliable....but if you take care of your stuff...what isnt? The mods on the 10 are expensive (if you buy them new) compared to other performance vehicles....but this truck has a viper motor in it!... you can find used parts at great prices, and we have some pretty cool vendors here too.....good luck on your choice

If you decide to go diesel ya better go with a 5.9. The 6.7 are slower, have more recall and warranty issues and all the smog and emmissions stuff makes it a pain in the rear to mod. The dodge auto trans has a very bad reputation, and the 6 speed aren't geared right for speed. needless to say from a stop you'll be in 5th gear by the time you make it to 30mph. JMO

HV SRT said:
My SRT 10 is a RC and ran 13.4's stock. Qc's are slower with the auto.

This statement is not necessarily true...this is more a statement of opinion vs. a matter of fact. Sometimes it just depends upon the Driver. I have heard of many QC's that have had faster 1/4 mile times that RC's!;)

mgwarrior350 said:
I am very interested in buying a new truck or trading my 06 jeep commander for a pickup. I have been stuck between the SRT10 ram qc and the Ram qc Cummins 6.7 diesel. I have been favoring more the srt. I no that everyone has their own opinion on what is the best. I also know there are a lot of forums out there which compare them. I am located in lower ny. It does snow here so that is the only major concern I have with the srt but I can use another car if needed. My major issue is for the money spent, looks aside, what can I make faster with some basic mods. Such as a full exhaust, intake, programmer or computer and some other mild mods nothing to extreme, I used nitrous a few times but I think it’s a cheater mod. The modo now is all throttle no bottle. I already had my jeep go through all the major work and I don’t want a car like that anymore. I am also looking for something reliable. I love speed not gonna lie, and I love it even more when you smoke some sports cars with a truck either kind. I will probably drag race a few times but that’s not what I really enjoy. What really gets me going are those random highway runs from like a 30 roll going full throttle. So my questions are:
1: For the money spent besides the cost of the truck which is cheaper to make it run in the 13’s?
5:After doing some of the minor mods which truck is the dealer going to be more lenient with?

Thanks for the help on this 1

1.QC's and RC's both should run in the 13's.
2. Depends on your driving record.
3. Depends if you buy used or new and who you bought it from....:dontknow:
4. I would move to Florida.
5. SRT-10...Hands down....they love these trucks for some reason!!!;)
6. I am pretty sure that both have the same or similar transmissions! How much stomping and braking are you planning on doing and are you going to be towing?

1: the srt will be in the 13's stock
2: my insurance was 13 dollars more on the srt than my z71
3: as long as you take care of them they both should be reliable
4: i couldnt live in ny but if you have access to another vehicle during the winter i would get the srt, but we are a little biased here.:p
5: dealerships are different everywhere you go they all have different opnions, it wouldnt be a bad idea to become friends with a viper tech though...
6: when you start modding the qc's auto becomes weak. the rc's tremec t-56 6speed is pretty stout..

BAD-RC said:
If you decide to go diesel ya better go with a 5.9. The 6.7 are slower, have more recall and warranty issues and all the smog and emmissions stuff makes it a pain in the rear to mod. The dodge auto trans has a very bad reputation, and the 6 speed aren't geared right for speed. needless to say from a stop you'll be in 5th gear by the time you make it to 30mph. JMO

I can vouch for this. I got a new 6.7. Not to happy with it. Trans... Shifts at odd times makes weird noises pulling a load. Alot more electronics with the 6.7. I would find a 5.9 you can make more power that is tested and proven.

Me personally I would go with a 10. More unique.

Stock 10's are in 13's

Ins was cheaper on this than my Mustang and lightning

Both take care of them and they will both last a long time.

2nd vehicle, Get the 10.

I would say the 10. These trucks were made to be modded. Not so much on the cummins

Pretty reliable I have had issues with mine but not caused by trans. Clutch I beleive.

This is my opinion/ Good Luck!!

i disagree fellas on number three the diesel will be more reliable. especially if your planning on modding the 10. the 10 is a lot more fun. depends on what your going to use the vehicle for. if you tow a low get the diesel. if not get the 10.

Call me different but if it was my choice I'd go with the diesel. In a four door package I think it offers more for the buck.

Probably cheaper to mod the diesel but not as fun a ride and sound as SRT.
SRT's are tricky. Mine is insured as a reg 1500 pickup.
Diesels always seem more reliable but for the most part, these trucks seem pretty good. We have some members over 100k on the clock.

I am in that situation. I have the SRT and a 04 Hemi QC :D

Depends on dealer and relationshop. And Mods...
Not sure but have heard of many band issues on the stock SRT QC tranny's.

thanks for thehelp id love the srt my only real issues are the wet weather driving but i can get over that, i have heard the qc trans are not very strong.

Get the Diesel, Chip it, Exhaust and it will be quick and year round drivable, Wont touch the 10 but good and quick

If you want a truck to haul and one that stinks get the deisel....if you want to enjoy driving get the 10.....they are to completely different animals..

I love to drive, i dont mind throwing some extra money just to spend some time on the highways. For the towing I only have to tow a single quad trailer that maybe all together weighs 500 pds. I am worried about the qc auto trans. I would get the 6 speed but i need the extra space, anyone w the qc have any opinions. Also how fat with the auto qc run a quarter mile.

mgwarrior350 said:
I love to drive, i dont mind throwing some extra money just to spend some time on the highways. For the towing I only have to tow a single quad trailer that maybe all together weighs 500 pds. I am worried about the qc auto trans. I would get the 6 speed but i need the extra space, anyone w the qc have any opinions. Also how fat with the auto qc run a quarter mile.

If you want to tow and run the quarter..get the 5.9

If you want to 'drive' get a RC, throw on a hitch, upgrade the hydrolics, have fun :D

I have seen a long list of 5.9's run 11's and 12's.....1000+ ft lbs = fun ;)

nothing to add to this discussion cause I thought the question was retorical.

the 10 rules:rock:

The 6.7 is a very problematic motor, chrysler is still trying to work the bugs out of them. The 5.9 is a much better motor, tuners make the most of that motor (the cummins in dodge trucks only run at 50% power). Its all what you want bro, just remember "if its got tires or tits its going to give you problems".

I own both, a 2000 CTD extended cab 4 X 4 with the 4 sp auto trans, and a 05 SRT-10 RC. Depends what your purpose for the truck is...my CTD is my daily driver and i also tow my 24 ft enclosed car trailer with it. It tows the trailer like it's not even there, and gets 17 MPG highway towing, 24 MPG Hwy by itself. Only mods i have on it is a K & N drop in and a 4 inch magna flo exhaust. Now the SRT has it all over the CTD as far as fun factor...the SRT is the most fun I've ever had in a truck, and I've had over 100 mopars thru the years..
Just had it on a 200 mile trip and it got 16.5 MPG on the highway running 70-75 MPH...not bad but you dont buy a srt for the gas mileage...LOL

As others have said, two totally different animals.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back