Stage 2 Questions..........

HOT RAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
............. I have a DC Performance Stage 2 flash on my truck.This one worked as well as the X-Metal ( from B&G Chrysler ?) that I was previously using so I just left it in and sold the X-Metal flashed computer.I bought it to see what ,if any,difference there might be between the two.

I have never been 100% happy with any that I have had.The first X-Metal tune was KILLER for performance but it pinged at high RPM and high load so I returned it to have some timing pulled to stop the pinging.While it was way better than stock,it wasn't quite as "HOT" as before.

I then bought this Stage 2 from GriffsSRT (Marc) ? that was previously owned by MUTT and before that......... ???????

Now my truck runs over 200* and feels down on power.Could it have lost the program and returned to default, or is that even possible ?

Would it be worth the enormous (at least to me ) cost of having it checked and re-programmed or should I go another route ?

I want it to turn on the fan sooner,fuel cut-out on decel,and a 5800 rpm rev limit .Should I go SCT ? Or VEC 3 ? Or bite the bullet and send it back to DC ?

BTW.......I am NOT blaming anyone for anything.I am just looking to get it where I want it.

I've got a B&G Stage 2 that I was having the same pinging problem with after sending it back a couple times to have timing pulled, it now feels like it's almost back to stock. It also runs at 200 degrees so I really don't know if it's doing anything for me.:dontknow:

Can't answer your ?? about VEC or SCT as I haven't ventured there. Vec can be self tuned with a laptop if you know what your doing. I think you can download tunes and install on the SCT and then your truck. Hope this helps.

have had both a flash and the vec the vec is really adjustable and easy to switch tunes i believe any time you run a flash or the vec or even the sct it is a good idea to put the 170 degree t stat i have seen a flashed qc get a vec and still pulled out another 20hp all the way across the board

I am thinking the VEC just might be the way to go. I have a 170* t-stat .

The Stage 2 seems to need the timing advance to get the big power "feel",though I suspect that it may not be safe unless running octane boost ALL the time.That is why I had mine "de-tuned" a bit.Not sure exactly what is on this one.

i have a sct from B&G ,stage2 ,i told them when he did tune to turn fan on at 185 ,,mine never goes over 190 tops sitting in houston traffic in august ,no ping ,i also told him to take out decel fuel ,,it helps popping a bit but not much at high rpm ,,after letting rpm drop below 3 or 4 grand it is good ,pops if i wind it up and
let it drop say from 5 grand ,,i also had them set rev limit to 5950 ,
o and i do have the 172 thermo

also as anthony can attest to you can check codes and erase them ,,he popped like 6 or 8 on race fuel at P.C. GTG in less than 3 mins i showed him how to erase them ,,,sct is way to go ,,you can also keep a stock tune so if you have to take it to a butthole dealer you can switch it back to stock in 5 mins,,also after you get sct tuner if you want a different outfit to give you a tune its no problem ,have them email you one and BANG your ready to go without sending in any parts to get reflashed

JUST MY TAKE

Last edited:
I have had the Stage 1, Stage 2, Blower flash (all from B&G), VEC3 and now the SCT. The SCT is the way to go IMO. You can everything that a flash does without having to send the PCM to someone. If you want to run a winter tune then you need to send your PCM to someone to flash. With the SCT just put the truck on a dyno, email your A/F and get a new tune emailed back in 20 mins. A tune for your truck is better then a generic out of the box tune. Put on a 2 bar map sensor and the SCT can controll timing under boost. The VEC can do the same thing but it is hard wired into your PCM and is pretty invasive and you need to factor in the cost of installing the VEC plus the unit itself. The SCT is just plug and play and can clear codes. It wasn't until the SCT that my temps acutally dropped.

Nelson, the VEC requires alot of wiring, but is awesome especially the VEC3 for any mods down the road (FI). never used the SCT, and my stage II from Xmetal was very good IMHO. If you go VEC3 just buy one from the forum, even if you get a viper one send it to Roe to redo the wiring harness.

I had the Xmetal stage 2 on my truck first - the truck ran 200-220 all day , didnt ping , didnt feel any difference at all , truck wasnt catching second - it sucked ...

So i got the DC stage 2 which was a BIG difference , the truck ran 180 all day , was pulling much better and the shifting was very good :burnout: :burnout:

thats my experience with both :marchmellow:

BurntRubber said:
Nelson, the VEC requires alot of wiring, but is awesome especially the VEC3 for any mods down the road (FI).

Roe now offers their S/C with the SCT. I think the VEC's days are numbered.

I still have a Vec 2 converted to a 3 still in an unopened package.

PM me if you want it.

FlyingLow said:
Roe now offers their S/C with the SCT. I think the VEC's days are numbered.

could be, atleast for simple tunes...never used one so I couldnt tell...I do know that the VEC3 is very comprehensive as far as tuning...Pat would know more. but you prolly right, its just to much of a pain.

Well,maybe the SCT is the way to go.I like that I can read and clear codes.

The current flash is a DC Performance ( or was supposed to be ,I am the 4th or 5th owner so it possibly might be something else) and the one I sold was the X-Metal Stage 2 flash.It did not run hot with that one.THAT one was almost perfect,just not quite as "HOT" after taking out the pinging.

This one just seems like it has lost all its power or sumpin' ?

Anybody wanna sell an SCT ?

btw..I still have my original stock PCM/ECM ,computer,whatever

Last edited:
BurntRubber said:
could be, atleast for simple tunes...never used one so I couldnt tell...I do know that the VEC3 is very comprehensive as far as tuning...Pat would know more. but you prolly right, its just to much of a pain.

My SCT is running my fuel up to 20 PSI. The 2 bar map sensor lets it add more fuel as needed under boost (with larger injectors). The VEC maniulpets the stock timing on the PCM to get what is needed. The SCT actually changes the PCM timing. I don't think there is much the VEC can do that the SCT can't. Even Roe's meth kit can now be used with the SCT. Only thing I can think of is the "No start card" and you are not limited to 3 tunes provided you have enough smart cards. Now I could be wrong about the VEC so maybe some one else can chime in on what the VEC can do that the SCT can not.

they have had more than one stage 2 revision. My first one was the ping monster, and I sent it back to DC and they re-flashed it with the latest for free. took care of the pinging, lowered the fan-on temp, and changed the shift points. it's a much better stage 2 than the original!

AWDisuzu said:
they have had more than one stage 2 revision. My first one was the ping monster, and I sent it back to DC and they re-flashed it with the latest for free. took care of the pinging, lowered the fan-on temp, and changed the shift points. it's a much better stage 2 than the original!

I'll give them a call tomorrow as well as send a PM .Maybe they can help me out without me having to get a second job :D

FlyingLow said:
My SCT is running my fuel up to 20 PSI. The 2 bar map sensor lets it add more fuel as needed under boost (with larger injectors). The VEC maniulpets the stock timing on the PCM to get what is needed. The SCT actually changes the PCM timing. I don't think there is much the VEC can do that the SCT can't. Even Roe's meth kit can now be used with the SCT. Only thing I can think of is the "No start card" and you are not limited to 3 tunes provided you have enough smart cards. Now I could be wrong about the VEC so maybe some one else can chime in on what the VEC can do that the SCT can not.

yeah, i would have to ask Pat...he had his laptop on the car with me, I know the VEC3 does fuel adaptives and a few other smaller things. If Sean is using the SCT I am sure they have software that does all a VEC does. if thats the case than anyone getting one going foward is making out on this one. the VEC3 took us hours to hook up to the car.
Maybe we can get sean to give us the details.

Yesterday 12:55 PM
i wonder if B&G would do the same? i have had mine(stage2)since 04':dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back