Start problems when hot

Jus10

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm really desperate, so I hope someone can help me out.
It's about my '05 Ram SRT 10, it won't start when the engine is hot. So in the morning (cold engine) when I go to work, no problems... starts perfect. (Engine has the time to cool off, so no problems after work)
But when I go to the supermarket for example and after 10 minutes you want to start the engine (hot engine, about 180°F-200°F), it won't start. You have to wait an hour or so until it has cooled off. I'll try to post a video of the sound it makes when I push the start button with hot engine.

So this is really driving me crazy! Do you guys have any idea what the problem is? They remanufactured the starter already, but doesn't make a difference :dontknow:

I thought it was the battery, but a battery doesn't know if the engine is hot or cold... so again I'm going NUTS!!!

Hi guys!

I'm really desperate, so I hope someone can help me out.
It's about my '05 Ram SRT 10, it won't start when the engine is hot. So in the morning (cold engine) when I go to work, no problems... starts perfect. (Engine has the time to cool off, so no problems after work)
But when I go to the supermarket for example and after 10 minutes you want to start the engine (hot engine, about 180°F-200°F), it won't start. You have to wait an hour or so until it has cooled off. I'll try to post a video of the sound it makes when I push the start button with hot engine.

So this is really driving me crazy! Do you guys have any idea what the problem is? They remanufactured the starter already, but doesn't make a difference :dontknow:

I thought it was the battery, but a battery doesn't know if the engine is hot or cold... so again I'm going NUTS!!!

The battery may not know if the engine is hot or cold but the battery itself will react differently to rather it is hot or cold. Your battery could be bad, but before we get that far, check your terminals to the battery. Make sure they are all tight, even the textended part on the negative side if you can move any part of your terminal they are not tight enough.

I just went through something like this but not as bad as yours. Mine would fire up strong from a cold start, however after I went somewhere and got back in it to start, it would turn over slowly. I at first thought my starter was going, but the starters in these trucks are pretty durable.

I saw I had a loose terminal connection on the negative side that connects to the negative terminal post. I could move it from side to side (should not be able to move it) Tighten that up and it starts up strong everytime now.

Follow your starter wire and ensure it's not on manifold or header. It does have heat sleeve but that's not bulletproof. If not then check all wiring. It really does sound like a heat soaked starter though. We used to make heat shields around them to prevent headers from heating starter. It would do as you described 100%

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back