Starter click?

Nucdancer01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume its a dead battery... Voltmeter in truck shows 12-12.5 VDC. I've had no problems. Slow starts, etc.. But I've only had the truck for about 1 weeks worth of driving.

If I push the starter button, it clicks like a dead battery. The thing I'm not sure about is that if I hold the button, it clicks on a cycle as if I had a conventional switch moving to the crank position over and over.

Is that normal to keep clicking slowly while holding the button with a dead battery?

I don't wanna jump to conclusions, and I've read my search function. Just seems like bad luck over and over.

Probably has 12 surface volts but i bet if you checked it while you hit the button it would drop below 10. dead cell would be my guess. replace the battery.

Yup replace that biatch! It's volts yes, but also cranking amperage that needs to be observed. Surely the battery though sir:burnout:

Crap...

I'm prolly gonna have to spend three months worth of mod money just to replace all of the 'consumables' on this truck.

Old nasty brake fluid already cost me 650 including shipping on calipers. My clutch and slave cylinders will need to be bled before I have clutch problems, which BTW I'll likely have to change my clutch within a month or two also.

Brake pads and rotors will be soon, plus oil, transmission oil, diff oil..

What else is coming?

dude i bought mine in march and drove it home from CA and had to put tires, brakes, rotors, power steering lines, oil cooler lines, fuild changes and a windshield. It sucks but at least you know its good.

Well after trying my battery charger, jump starting from my other truck, then ultimately switching batteries between trucks...

I hit the starter with a hammer a few times and viola!!

Can only imagine it won't be long until the starter goes for good.

Well after trying my battery charger, jump starting from my other truck, then ultimately switching batteries between trucks...

I hit the starter with a hammer a few times and viola!!

Can only imagine it won't be long until the starter goes for good.

Nah, maybe its because of sitting too long and contacts were dirty in that particular spot. Think positive :)

Well...

It's done it twice more since the first time. Each time a whack with a hammer and she fires right up.

Anywhere you guys recommend besides RockAuto to find one?

Well...

It's done it twice more since the first time. Each time a whack with a hammer and she fires right up.

AnyTHING you guys recommend besides RockAuto to find one?

A hammer bolted to the frame with a cable in the cab to whack the starter with. Cheaper ;)

my starter has been doing the same thing for a while. I finally took it apart and cleaned all the brass terminals and I haven't had a problem since.

Usually it's the brushes that get worn down and stop making good contact with the commutator. Do you guys know where to get new brushes? I may be able to file them down and re-contour them..

I can probably source some through my work contacts, I'm just trying to identify resources available on the forum..

my starter has been doing the same thing for a while. I finally took it apart and cleaned all the brass terminals and I haven't had a problem since.

You just cleaned the outside terminal connections, or did you pull the solenoid and end caps off of the DC motor itself?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back