Starting my New PRoject

iraqivet01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 68 Dodge Coronet 500. It a 440, with a 727 automatic. It going to transformed into an R/T.
I got a sweet deal from a guy here in OKC. I am only the third owner. The first was the guys aunt.
So far I have redone the seats refoamed and covered, and rechromed the bumpers. I been removing the glass and interior to get it ready for media blasting and then off to the body shop for paint.

The pictures were taken the day I was loading it up to take it my Uncle's shop to finish taking the dash, glass, and engine out.

20091102476-1.jpg

20091102483.jpg

20091102482.jpg

20091102477.jpg

20091102474.jpg

Last edited:
The back seats. I wish I would have taken a before shot. Mice were living in them at one time.

20091102478.jpg

The front seat after being recovered.

20091102480.jpg

Bumpers back from the chromers.

frontbumper3.jpg

frontbumper2.jpg

rearbumper.jpg

I need that so i can drop my 426 and 727w/GV unit off in to it. Bet it would be more fun in that than my truck.

Even with that crappy paint job, and sorry state of the interior, it was a head turner.
The guy I bought it from painted it in his garage, and you can see by the pictures that laws need to be passed to prevent future abuse of a Classic MOPAR's. I think removing parts prior to spraying wasn't a consideration. Overspray is saying it lightly.

A positive note is He did rebuild the front suspension, transmission, engine, and the car has no body rot!!!! (which is very rare in these cars)
My body guy going to get it in sometime in January or February, and I hope when i return from my deployment in 2011, it be all set from me to reassemble it. My Uncle and cousin going to go back through the engine and get it all cleaned back up to stock colors.

Last edited:
iraqivet01 said:
Even with that crappy paint job, and sorry state of the interior, it was a head turner.
The guy I bought it from painted it in his garage, and you can see by the pictures that laws need to be passed to prevent future abuse of a Classic MOPAR's. I think removing parts prior to spraying wasn't a consideration. Overspray is saying it lightly.

A positive note is He did rebuild the front suspension, transmission, engine, and the car has no body rot!!!! (which is very rare in these cars)
My body guy going to get it in sometime in January or February, and I hope when i return from my deployment in 2011, it be all set from me to reassemble it. My Uncle and cousin going to go back through the engine and get it all cleaned back up to stock colors.
Lets just hope this guy didn't use 5 gallons of body filler to cover up any of those problem areas.

Update on 68 Coronet:

New Magnum 500 Wheels and BF Goodrich tires

newmagnum500andBFGoodrichtires.jpg

After removing the engine and wiring, and before stripping the spray paint from the engine compartment.

enginecompartment1-1.jpg

Bumpers Back from the Chrome shop

bumper.jpg

rearbumper.jpg

frontbumper2.jpg

After stripping spray paint. I used oven cleaner purchased from Dollar General. Took 4 cans. Not bad for $4.50.

strippedenginecompartment.jpg

engine out and getting ready to for Gasket overhaul, and Edlebrock combo kit to be installed. (Aluminium Heads, cam, Intake) Suppose to bump it up to 480 HP

removedengine.jpg

Got lucky and bought an Alter K suspension from a member of the other forum I belong to. It consisted of QA 1 adjustable shocks, Power Rack and pinion, 12" Wilwood slotted and drilled Power brakes

AlterKsuspenion.jpg

Last edited:
Should be a real nice set up and MUCH better handling performance! Can't wait to see it finished.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back