Steele, AL drag strip

Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a pass at Alabama Dragway in Steele, AL this past Sunday. There are potholes toward the end of the track which no one mentioned before I approached them at 100mph. The guy at the timing booth said "yeah, sorry about that. Come back Friday night! You can run all night for $10!".

I don't suppose anyone would have a single wheel for sale?

Attachments

• 20151119_155123.jpg
    20151119_155123.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Damn. That's a big thing to forget at a place where people are trying to go as fast as possible and use the whole track to slow down.

Last edited:
The guy at the timing booth said "yeah, sorry about that. Come back Friday night! You can run all night for $10!".

Why? Are they going to fix the hole by then?

I would have grabbed guy by the neck

Hate to say it, but with a wheel bent that badly you're probably going to have some belt seperation in that tire too.. Good news is the Wheel can be repaired, will just take time. Bad news is the tire will probably be a throw-away or Spare at the best.
Cant believe that Drag Strip would even allow racing with the Track in that condition.

The guy at the timing booth said "yeah, sorry about that. Come back Friday night! You can run all night for $10!".

Why? Are they going to fix the hole by then?

I would have grabbed guy by the neck

I was immediately reminded of Oh Brother Where Art Thou with a dash of Deliverance sprinkled in. I suspected something awry in his "heh-tidge" as he didn't understand why I wouldn't want to come back.

The last time that I was at that track was with Stinker, Jack, et al at the meet up and it was awesome. I understand that it's under new ownership now.

Heck...the streets that I usually race on...er...I mean used to race on were way better. :)

I read about some outfit that had franchises with a proprietary process involving multiple hydraulic rams, heat, and then annealing but they're out of business.

I figured the sidewalls of the tire are trash since I wound up driving on it after flat. I'm pretty impressed with how well it held up, btw (Nitto).

I don't suppose you'd know where/how to straighten it?

I read about some outfit that had franchises with a proprietary process involving multiple hydraulic rams, heat, and then annealing but they're out of business.

I figured the sidewalls of the tire are trash since I wound up driving on it after flat. I'm pretty impressed with how well it held up, btw (Nitto).

I don't suppose you'd know where/how to straighten it?

Thank you for the tip.

That's where I took it. I checked around town and lots of people had good things to say about them. It turns out that quite a few of the dealerships use them. They're pretty sharp guys but the wheel is just too damaged.

I suppose I need to post somewhere else "Wanted: real SRT10 wheel". I'm shocked at how many people think that the 22" wheel is aftermarket.

On the track note, I talked to a friend today who races promod and nearly flipped his car at the end of the track. Way to embrace mediocrity, buncha dumb ole dumbs!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back