STEERING ISSUES

TMCNORWAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just finished with the build and am experiencing an almost scary sensation when driving - POWER STEERING is so light its shocking, in fact its un driveable, there is no feel to it whatsoever, its as though the whole front end is hovering abouve the ground!!!!

I have got rid of the hydrloic fan set up and gone with Justins electric one, and I also have a 7"Crank pulley.

Could it be the oversized pulley, doing more work than normal?

Has anyone else experienced this with either or both of these mods?

Any help or input is much appreciated.

Mark

TMCNORWAY said:
HELP ANYONE:confused: :confused: :confused:
Hang in there my friend, Most of these guy's sleep all day and ho buy night.:D They will be coming out soon.:rock: :rock:

JRSVIPR said:
Hang in there my friend, Most of these guy's sleep all day and ho buy night.:D They will be coming out soon.:rock: :rock:

yep, what he said:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

if it got that easy, sounds like theres a real good flow increase to the rack:dontknow: :rock:

Or did you simply block off the hoses going to the fan? They need to be tied back to each other to complete the power steering/fan circuit even though the fan is gone. Could be wrong but worth a try. That or you still have alot of air in the system. Good luck bud!

I'm also thinking air. Have you called or talked to Justin to see what he thinks or if anyone else that has installed his fan has had this issue? :dontknow:

air in a hydraulic system will make it harder or not work at all till the air is bled out

ZCx said:
air in a hydraulic system will make it harder or not work at all till the air is bled out

That's what I was thinking.

Justin has never experienced this issue with the new fan set up,

There is no air in the system - this would only make it stiffer anyway.

I have also installed a new hose which came with Justins fan set up.

Has anyone had these issues with the larger crank pulley? And is there a fix for this.

I really wanted to keep the larger pulley on. It reall yis so light on the steering that its incredibly dangerous.

Here is a list of the rest of my mods which I have installed so far.

WISECO FORGED PISTONS
K1 FORGED CONNECTING RODS
BILLET MAIN BEARINGS
BILLET ROD BEARINGS
LIGHT HEAD AND INTAKE WORK
BASSANI HEADERS
JMB BENT MANDREL MIDPIPES
MAGNAFLOW CATBACK EXHAUST
HIGH FLOW CATS
CENTERFORCE CLUTCH
VIPER CLUTCH HYDRALICS UPGRADE
ELECTRIC COOLING FAN ASSEMBLY
CUSTOM PAXTON SUPER CHARGER 10-15 PSI
ATI DAMPER
LARGER CRANK PULLEY
SMALLER SUPER CHARGER PULLEY
3 BAR MAP SENSOR
DC BLOWER INLET AND AIRBOX
ROE THROTTLE BODY
TRIPLE WALBRO FUEL SETUP
POWDER COATED BILLETT FUEL RAILS
72LB INJECTORS
TRIPPLE GAUGE PILLAR MOUNT
AIR FUEL GAUGE
FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE
BOOST GAUGE
JMB TRACTION PACKAGE STAGE 1, 2, & 3
LOWERING KIT
FRONT AND BACK SWAYBAR ENDLINKS (FOR LOWEREED SUSPENSION)
POWDERCOATED BRAKE CALIPERS
SLOTTED BRAKE ROTARS
HONEYCOMB GRILL
JMB DRESS UP COVER SET
JMB POWDERCOATED CATCH CAN
JMB OIL COOLER LINES
JMB POWDERCATED - VALVE COVERS, HARD RADIATOR PIPES AND T-STAT HOUSING
JMB BILLET JUGS
CHROME BILLET DRESSUP CAPS
DOUBLE DIN CUSTOM STEREO INSTALLATION

Sounds like you got one nice build....correct me if im wrong but adding a larger diameter crank pulley alone would have like the opposite effect of doing an under drive pulley right? So with a bigger pulley it should speed up your accessories and could be making the p/s pump spin faster maybe making the wheel even easier to turn...... Thats just a thought of mine.....

Troy's QC SRT said:
Sounds like you got one nice build....correct me if im wrong but adding a larger diameter crank pulley alone would have like the opposite effect of doing an under drive pulley right? So with a bigger pulley it should speed up your accessories and could be making the p/s pump spin faster maybe making the wheel even easier to turn...... Thats just a thought of mine.....

i think your thinkin correctly.

would it be a big pain to swap back to the stock pulley & see when it does then????

is there a shop by you that can hook up flow/pressure gauges & see what is goin on????

sweet build :rock: :rock: :rock:

Between the deletion of the hydraulic fan (a lot less restriction) and the over sized crank pulley, you're are probabably creating excessive pressure in the system and therefore causing your concern.

ZCx said:
i think your thinkin correctly.

would it be a big pain to swap back to the stock pulley & see when it does then????

is there a shop by you that can hook up flow/pressure gauges & see what is goin on????

sweet build :rock: :rock: :rock:

HaHa so I may not be crazy then :rock: When I think about the whole U/D pulley thing thats what comes to mind....it seems to just be backwards of doing an U/D pulley....

I have dual electric fans, and yes the steering is more responsive ( i love it) It can be the oversized crank pulley ( hard to tell without the truck). One thing you can try is changing the pwr steering pulley to compensate for the crank pulley (if that pulley can be replaced). I thought it was a little scary at first but when you get used to it, you will be amazed at the quick response when running wide open;)

As suggested try and swap the pulley's to see if the steering rack resistance changes. Is the alternator output OK?

DevilDawg3097 said:
I have dual electric fans, and yes the steering is more responsive ( i love it) It can be the oversized crank pulley ( hard to tell without the truck). One thing you can try is changing the pwr steering pulley to compensate for the crank pulley (if that pulley can be replaced). I thought it was a little scary at first but when you get used to it, you will be amazed at the quick response when running wide open;)

Matt to the rescue! Logical approach...and the comment about checking the alternator is spot on!

OK, first the pressure really needs checked

it will be higher with the single line going striaght to the rack than what dodge says,

but with a half dozen of these or so installed with larger bottom pullies an nobody has complained of this it leads me to possible incorrect install.

on the pump when they installed the line, the pressure vavle jsut under it, was it removed, is the spring there? that needs to be checked, jsut replacing the line wit a single line is not gonna cause crazy feeling in just ht steereing.

you are only bypassing the fan, the line is smaller in diameter than the oem line so some line pressure is increased, but not to the level that will cause super light steering , the steering will be easier , but not to a crazy level.

but before anything the line pressure should be checked with a pressure guage

FastRam said:
As suggested try and swap the pulley's to see if the steering rack resistance changes. Is the alternator output OK?

I forgot to ask as well -- how is the AC compressor working? That needs to spin at a certain rpm for peak efficiency or it may fail prematurely.

Sorry For the late reply, and thanks to everyone chipping in.

There has been another issue with it this evening,
I was driving tho the gas station, where i did a u-turn and the power steering just completely failed.

After taking a look, the new installed hose which was supplied with the new system, had just blew off the fitting.

So, there deffinately was a lot of extra presure.

JTS has mentioned the valve and spring I will have to chech tomorrow. But should the spring be removed or what should I do with the valve?

I am having a new line made tomorrow, should this line be smaller or larger in diameter if I would like to stiffen it up a little?

that line will hold 6000lbs of pressure it def should not have blown off, in the upper part the valve should have a spring on the inside, it should stay there, almost sounds like a incorrect install was done somehow and the valve was removed

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back