Steering play

attila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

after installing Mopar performance headers, disconnecting the steering linkage, I'm experiencing some steering play.

I checked with my dad steering from inside, and the column looks firm down to the steering box. It's really weird, and now I'm getting pissed off of that while driving. Truck has 10700 miles..., yes 10k not 100!

any hints on what to check?

thanks
Gabriele

Hi Guys

after installing Mopar performance headers, disconnecting the steering linkage, I'm experiencing some steering play.

I checked with my dad steering from inside, and the column looks firm down to the steering box. It's really weird, and now I'm getting pissed off of that while driving. Truck has 10700 miles..., yes 10k not 100!

any hints on what to check?

thanks
Gabriele

Have you had the alignment checked... Mine had around 10k miles and was all over the road , especially when I hit an uneven road suface. It damn near put me into the other lane one day. Tire wear was on the outside edge of the tire. After the alignment it was perfect again...

i had an alignment issue when i first got my truck....it turned out that the dealership said that the alignment was stright since the wear was even...they said that while the alignment was right on the steering wheel was not centered....from what they tell me this can happen when hitting big bumps or curbs...

thanks, I'll have the alignment checked, but I can turn the wheel when the truck is stopped and engine off :-( there's some big play

will let you know after the check

thanks!

Double check ALL the bolts that you removed when installing the Headers. Then have someone turn the wheel with motor off, watch the intermediate shaft between the bottom of the steering column and the Rack & Pinion to see if it is turning at the same time. It sounds like the shaft is not seated all the way on the splines on the ends of the shaft. If it is really loose, Don't drive it! Have it towed (nice to have AAA) to a shop to have it checked. If it comes apart while driving it is not going to be any fun. :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back