Stereo Help

TurboFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FM/AM part of the radio has not worked since I bought the truck so I have been listening to CD's. Well I decided to fix the problem. I removed the bezel and radio and found that the antenna was not hooked up. The previous owner must have had an aftermarket stereo and the antenna was cut and speaker wires were run through the dash. I could not hook up the antenna as part of the tip had been cut off. I took it to a stereo shop and they spliced a new antenna in but it was not a 100% fit. I need to go to the dealer and buy one I guess as they did not have the correct one. But at least it work for now.

Also, I noticed that the back of the stock stereo has plugs for two connectors to go into. The bigger one is there but I do not have the second one. I was told it could be the one for the stock amp. Which could be why the sub-woofer also does not work.

Is there supposed to be two connectors plugged into the back of the stereo plus the antenna or just the one bigger connector and antenna? If only one connector is used what else could be causing my woofer not to work?

Yea I believe the smaller one is for the Sub amp.....when I took mine out it stopped working...could be wrong tho....Also you can get the proper antenna connection piece off ebay for around $10

kickinassrt-10 said:
Yea I believe the smaller one is for the Sub amp.....when I took mine out it stopped working...could be wrong tho....Also you can get the proper antenna connection piece off ebay for around $10
Houston we have a problem, lol. I have checked and can only find one connector.

As for the antenna the original one was cut so I had the stereo shop splice one in for the meantime. I will check e-bay to see if I can find a stock one though. If you happen on the listing though please post a link to it.

kickinassrt-10 said:
Adapter looks similar to this..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AM-F...0437QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ebayphotohosting

Do you have radio controls? That's what the small connection could also be...not too sure about it
I couldn't find the cable on ebay only the actual antenna.

Yes, I have steering wheel radio controls and they work so it can't be for that.

eddie102870 said:
ive got a extra sub amp if you need it
Thanks Eddie. If mine is no good I will definitely need yours.

BTW, I swapped lug nuts and have them in a box ready to go out tomorrow.

I tore apart the whole dash to check for that other connector and can't find it anywhere. Maybe we only use one even though the stereo has plugs for two. :dontknow:

What I do know is the sub does not work so maybe it is bad or the amp went out.

Here are pics of the dash with everything I could take off removed and you can see that I only have one connector and the antenna. Now I have to put everything back together again.

Bare Dash:
Stereo2.jpg

Parts in the bed:
Stereo1.jpg

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the stereo?

Does anyone that has replaced the stock unit with an aftermarket one remember or have a pic of the connectors. I need to know if I should have two.

TTT - can someone remove their stereo and see if there are one or two plugs hooked up to the stock head unit.

Yes there are two plugs for the stereo. One connector contains power for the radio, 2 speaker outputs, dash lights, PCI bus(used to communicate to stock amp), and telemetry for the steering wheel controls.

The other one (the one you can't find) is used for inputs for a satellite receiver, handsfree receiver, CD Changer, and or IPOD input. The second connector also supplies power and ground that is used for the external components that hook up to the stock head unit as well as a SDAR Bus which is the line that is used to communicate to the head unit.

The stock amp behind the glove box has an output that feeds signal to the sub amp. With the infinity system the rear speakers off the deck are the only speakers wired to the amp for inputs. The stock amp then takes that signal and splits it to all the door, dash, and rear speakers.

The cable your looking for lands under the dash somewhere and nothing is connected to it unless you had a handsfree module, satellite receiver, cd changer, and or ipod integration unit.

It sounds like someone removed that cable all together. If your sub amp is not working it could be the amp, speaker, and or power. I would start with power then test the impedance on your speaker all of which can be done with a meter.

I have a complete print out of all the sound wiring and pinouts. If you need to know what a wire is PM me. I hope that answers some of your questions.

Cablefed said:
Yes there are two plugs for the stereo. One connector contains power for the radio, 2 speaker outputs, dash lights, PCI bus(used to communicate to stock amp), and telemetry for the steering wheel controls.

The other one (the one you can't find) is used for inputs for a satellite receiver, handsfree receiver, CD Changer, and or IPOD input. The second connector also supplies power and ground that is used for the external components that hook up to the stock head unit as well as a SDAR Bus which is the line that is used to communicate to the head unit.

The stock amp behind the glove box has an output that feeds signal to the sub amp. With the infinity system the rear speakers off the deck are the only speakers wired to the amp for inputs. The stock amp then takes that signal and splits it to all the door, dash, and rear speakers.

The cable your looking for lands under the dash somewhere and nothing is connected to it unless you had a handsfree module, satellite receiver, cd changer, and or ipod integration unit.

It sounds like someone removed that cable all together. If your sub amp is not working it could be the amp, speaker, and or power. I would start with power then test the impedance on your speaker all of which can be done with a meter.

I have a complete print out of all the sound wiring and pinouts. If you need to know what a wire is PM me. I hope that answers some of your questions.
Thanks, I will start putting everything back in tomorrow since I don't need the other connector for the sub to work. I don't have a meter so I will take it to a stereo shop to have it looked at.

Just to be clear though we have two amps, one behind the glove box and one on the bottom center console/seat, correct? Also, there is no need for the second connector for the sub to work?

Again thanks for the help.

I kinda got in late on the post but the second plug is for extra / external sources like factory Satellite radio or Ipod's and such. Did you already check the fuse for the sub amp??? I have seen them blow fuses when pushed to hard for to long.

Correct, the second connector is not needed to make the sub work. Like I said check the power first. Remove your fuse box cover and check all your fuses under the hood. The best thing to do is remove the plug from the amp and check at the source, but if its out of your power to check it taking to a shop is an option. Just be careful sometimes techs can spend a few hours on troubleshooting the issue with a labor rate of $70 bucks an hour or more. Check the obvious first. Or better yet go buy yourself a volt meter they are cheap and teach yourself something. I will be more than happy to walk you through on what to check before you drop it at a shop. Cheers!

Oh yeah there is two amps. There is one under the seat for the sub and one behind the glove box that powers the doors, dash, and rear speakers. Cheers!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back