Strange noise upon start up?

Nothing like having made every mistake...those scars make for good perspective!

Prof said:
We tried to put a billet oil filter on my truck (Boomer) and it caused the flapping noise...it is a back-flow valve...and the noise could not be stopped. We dropped the billet filter...

Had the same problem with the same filter...Using K&N now....

Soooo, should I lean more towards the oil filter making the new noise and switch back to the original Mopar one, or is it quite possible the belt and/or loose pulley bolts??? Like I said, I've never heard this noise until now, after I've used the new 'Viper' oil filter... And the only reason I switched was b/c of the higher flow capabilities it's said to have over the original Mopar...

Also, what do you guys mean when you say back flow valve noise???

BDR SRT-10 said:
Soooo, should I lean more towards the oil filter making the new noise and switch back to the original Mopar one, or is it quite possible the belt and/or loose pulley bolts??? Like I said, I've never heard this noise until now, after I've used the new 'Viper' oil filter... And the only reason I switched was b/c of the higher flow capabilities it's said to have over the original Mopar...

Also, what do you guys mean when you say back flow valve noise???
For the cost of an oil filter i would try that first.

It is the oil filter that makes the startup noise. It is resonance caused by oil system pressurizing. When the truck sits for a long time without being run, the oil slowly drains out of the system back into the pan (even with a anti-drain back valve in the filter). When you start the truck oil is being forced back through the system through the holes in the filter causing the noise. If the engine has run recently, it won't make the noise since the oil has not drained out of the system yet (or very little).

I have compared the Mopar filter to others and the main difference is the number of flow holes around the outside of the filter face. The Mopar one has more of them. This would allow more oil flow thus eliminating the resonance. This doesn't make it a better filter, just different.

It is pretty common knowledge in Mopar circles that the filters are rebranded by whomever Chrysler chooses to contract with to make them. They may not always come from the same vendor even though they will have the same part number. Could be the reason why some get the noise with the Mopar filter and some don't. It is annoying, but will not hurt anything.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
It is the oil filter that makes the startup noise. It is resonance caused by oil system pressurizing. When the truck sits for a long time without being run, the oil slowly drains out of the system back into the pan (even with a anti-drain back valve in the filter). When you start the truck oil is being forced back through the system through the holes in the filter causing the noise. If the engine has run recently, it won't make the noise since the oil has not drained out of the system yet (or very little).

I have compared the Mopar filter to others and the main difference is the number of flow holes around the outside of the filter face. The Mopar one has more of them. This would allow more oil flow thus eliminating the resonance. This doesn't make it a better filter, just different.

It is pretty common knowledge in Mopar circles that the filters are rebranded by whomever Chrysler chooses to contract with to make them. They may not always come from the same vendor even though they will have the same part number. Could be the reason why some get the noise with the Mopar filter and some don't. It is annoying, but will not hurt anything.

-Muzzy

Thanks for clearing that up Muzzy.I just can not make myself listen to the noise.:dontknow: Went back to the regular Mopar filter.

Ok I understand that and follow what you're saying and thanks for the great clarification Muzzy, but does that mean the Viper specific filter really isn't better than the regular Mopar one?? That noise is rather annoying upon start-up :mad:

Or does it indeed flow and filter better, just with this start-up noise as a side effect??

I used a mobile one filter and it made the same noise so I switch to the mopar filter and it fix the noise.

Mopar filters still have the noise for me, Both the regular one and the Viper one. Next I will try the one Inludemeout mentioned. If that doesn't work a K&N will be my next option.

Alberta-SRT said:
Mopar filters still have the noise for me, Both the regular one and the Viper one. Next I will try the one Inludemeout mentioned. If that doesn't work a K&N will be my next option.
If you still have the noise with the regular filter,Check the belt and pulley bolt.

Change the oil go with a factory filter, sound , no sound.

sound
upon start up take some WD and spray on the belt , see if the noise dissapears sound no sound

sound
buy a bottle of lucas oil treatment and pour in sound no sound

sound

take to dealer have them chek the crank bolt. sound no sound

sound

sell the phugger:D

JRSVIPR said:
If you still have the noise with the regular filter,Check the belt and pulley bolt.
I have checked it, everything is fine. the noise is not the squeal of a belt, it is a resonating sound that does not change with engine rpm.

KB

put them in photobucket.com (free) and cut and paste the lowest address and insert it here.

/\/\/\/\ By stating billet filter, is that a.k.a. new Viper filter?? Back flow valve? Is that in the new filter too??

I trust your advice, just wanna make sure I understand??

Prof said:
put them in photobucket.com (free) and cut and paste the lowest address and insert it here.

Thanks, I tried, but I am in a hotel with a painfully slow connection.
I couldn't even get on that webpage. I'll try tomorrow.

BDR SRT-10 said:
/\/\/\/\ By stating billet filter, is that a.k.a. new Viper filter?? Back flow valve? Is that in the new filter too??

I trust your advice, just wanna make sure I understand??

We tried to use an aftermarket billet filter that has a nice powder coat finish and a replaceable filter element and it caused the fluttering noise on two different trucks...Gary felt it was the back flow valve...but when we disabled the valve the sound persisted.

We went back to the oem mopar filter and the noise was gone immediately.

I just purchased a half dozen of the new viper filters but have not tried them yet...I may put one on tomorrow just to see if the sound returns...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back