Stripped thread in aluminum block, what to do?

HDVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I screwed here? A friend of mine and I changed out a cam last night on his LS6 and I went to torque down a bolt on the retainer plate for the cam and ended up stripping the thread. :mad: :mad: :mad: I could really use some advice here, I'm worried I'm going to need to buy him a new block. Thanks in advance.

HDVIPER said:
Am I screwed here? A friend of mine and I changed out a cam last night on his LS6 and I went to torque down a bolt on the retainer plate for the cam and ended up stripping the thread. :mad: :mad: :mad: I could really use some advice here, I'm worried I'm going to need to buy him a new block. Thanks in advance.
Can you use a Heil coil?
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil/heliex/design.asp

We did that same thing and a heli coil worked... Should work for ya...

Hmmm, how to I figure out the right size? That definitely looks like it would work. Thanks guys!

when you redrill for the helicoil or timesert make sure you grease the drill bit and clean it every so often, so that you dont get metal shaveings into the motor. good luck

You can also attach some Duct Tape (stapled with the sticky side up and showing) to some paper bags and mask off the area. The sticky tape will catch anything that tries to fly away...

The Mobil1 oil for our trucks works real good on the drill bits to keep them lubricated and biting into the metal too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back