stroke of brilliance??

Randall488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to thinkin, I'm gonna supercharge my 8.0... but if I want better mpg at times... how could I disengage the supercharger... I wonder if you can wire in an a/c clutch for the pulley..? Ideas? Thoughts?

some report better mpg at cruising speeds with supercharging. If you disengage the blower impeller, it will block airflow. It doesnt work that way. Dont over complicate it. If you want less parasitic power loss and increased efficiency, a turbo may be another solution, but to do it for MPG savings would be futile because of the extra expense to set it up.

I've given thought to turbos, I'm a diesel tech by trade. Ive got holset guts lyin around like they're out of style. But I don't like the wistle on gassers.. the whine is better. But I didn't realize the impeller would completely block airflow? It should in theory still turn if air is passint into the case.. right? I'm just huntin info here.

A straight shaft ball bearing turbo will spin... A gear reduction supercharger will not. Even if it did (with the A/C compressor clutch theory), the turbulence and intake restriction would reduce efficiency and MPG. At cruise, you will be in vacuum anyway, and the supercharger isnt straining against compressed air or struggling to gain rpms during acceleration. It is spinning with centrifugal force, in the draft of air the engine is pulling. Its better for air flow that the blades be spinning, by belt driven power.

I've gained better fuel economy with the ROE and with my Paxton on my truck! Look at Ford with their Eco boost TT truck that they use for better fuel economy.

Got to thinkin, I'm gonna supercharge my 8.0... but if I want better mpg at times... how could I disengage the supercharger... I wonder if you can wire in an a/c clutch for the pulley..? Ideas? Thoughts?

I have also heard an a/c compressor clutch can't handle the rpm a supercharger spins at and will come apart violently at some point. I have no personal experience with this just something I have heard from someone who tried it.

in case you have to take it somewhere for service... lol then they can't eff it up too bad:dontknow:

They may get the impression that a supercharged SRT10 is really gutless and the blower doesn't make a lot of noise.

My gas mileage staid the same/slightly improved when I had a SVT Focus with a ProCharger. Staid in vacuum while cruising and daily driving. Managed to keep 20+mpg even though hp went from like 153fwhp stock to 289fwhp after the blower went on. Also have heard of others with different vehicles maintaining or even improving mpg after adding a blower. You end up using less throttle to achieve speeds that you used to have to use more throttle to achieve. Also when I had the ProCharger, once I got up to speed, such as on the highway, the blower would keep my RPMs a little higher than when it was stock, so instead of the RPMs dropping to 1200 when I was in 6th gear and having to drop into 4th and punch the gas to get up to speed, I was able to stay in 6th with the blower and still had power and didn't have to punch the gas.

I've always thought similarly when choosing engines, I figure more power less pedal. I'm curious to see what my mpg will be after the centrifugal. I get 12-15 now. Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back