STS Turbo low boost runs

msdnga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who says STS kits don't work!!!!Talk about torque! Don't need no stinkin diesel!:p

Tuning a Black Night Runner SRT10 Ram today on low boost, 6 speed truck. Making sure it's safe for this weekend, 9 psi and the 93 octane tune using the SCT tuner.
Dyers Top Rods, Forged Crank, Ross Forged pistons, stock heads, stock cam, stock exhaust manifolds, centerforce clutch SCT Tuner, 60lb injectors, full return A-1000 fuel system, 2 bar MAP, STS T-76 rear turbo no intercooler (130air temps). Wednesday, I'll be tuning it on 20 psi. Here you go!

Attachments

• STS low boost.jpg
    STS low boost.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I dont anybody said that they dont work because by ur dyno sheet they do work. It is just that they take the motor out of the truck from most of the stories around here. nice work man:)

Thanks! You gotta forge em! I tryed to get this truck ready for the Brat GTG 2 weeks ago, but it just did not happen...

Flying Low is next! Let's see what an Automatic can do!

great job...i am liking all of these options that are coming available for us owners. A huge thanks to all that has safrificed and worked to make this possible.

bought time all these turbos started catching up with me:D

LOLOLOL guess I am gonna have to install some heads here soon, and do some more tuning:p

it will be good until it goes BOOM, every truck that has had one has went boom so dont count your chickens

Nice numbers Marty. I'll still have to question the reliabilty of the system. It's reputation speaks for itself. The forged internals should help. Is there any long term test done on any of your previous STS builds?

Nice numbers, but why the sudden drop in hp and tq after 4750 rpm? Shouldn't those numbers increase with the rpm?

I,ve been waiting for this beast to get done,:D
Can,t wait for the final hard tune!!!!!:rock: :rock:
I,ll Have the Paxton Daytona for you to tune this week too!!!!!!:burnout:

stick said:
it will be good until it goes BOOM, every truck that has had one has went boom so dont count your chickens

Not every truck has. And the ones that have lost #3 was always tied to tuning. The original system had 4 extra injectors that sprayed into the intake. The fuel had to travel uphill and around a 90 degree turn then spread itself to the 10 cylinders evenly. Buy upgrading to larger injectors and a SCT the tuning is much more reliable. Mine lasted 2.5 years. I believe the failure we saw with mine was due to the year prior when my spark plug had some sort of impact. I think it was just hanging on with low boost and meth. When Marty started tuning mine we had the meth off and had a little boost spike. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back. That piston was already damaged I'm sure. As far as the over-boost I think that was due to how I had mine connected. There were original problems with over-boost then they changed the way it was connected (referencing boost). Marty looked at mine and said it was wrong. This will be fixed with the rebuild. There are people losing pistons without FI. A turbo on stock pistons is really pushing the limits of the engine. Below is a picture of a new spark plug and old one. The second pic is 4 from the engine. You can see the closed gap from #3. This was from Feb 2007. My engine blew up in April 2008.

DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0809.jpg

Wow! It's going to be a year in August that I installed my supercharger and will be changing the plugs very soon. I'm very interested in seeing what they look like after a year and approximately 15k+ miles. To date no pinging thank god, and still running strong.

I'll post up a new thread when I get the plug changed and let you know what I find.

Last edited:
Smoke...I think I said a year ago that your plug electrode was the result of impact...that is the only thing other than putting it in bent, that will cause that kind of bend.

I hope you have your fix...

Good luck and make that thing live!

The only STS turbo problems are the ones with stock internals. The boost comes on hard and at a lower rpm than a centrifugal. In the past with no tuning options, was disaster. I use stock heads and cams and a single turbo, so I keep the power tuned lower than 5500. I don't need to spin the engine to 5500 or 6000 to test my machine work for oiling. True big blocks don't need rpm to 60 foot a 5000lb vehicle.
I see it all here as does everyone in here, Roe Racing disasters, STS disasters, Paxton disasters, NOS disasters and even all motor Viper disasters. No one is safe on stock parts. Repeat-no-one. I have only had suspension issues, axles and clutch issues after forging, no engine issues.
Add head work, and camwork, larger y-pipe, and you will see that rpm climb if that is what you desire. But keeping this massive power below 6000rpm will keep this combo together for a very long time. I have another going on 8 months with this same STS setup still running strong. The Dyers rods are usually overkill for 700-800rw builds, but I prefer to over engineer and stay out of the motor for a long time. I would hope we all agree on that.

Marty,

Thanks for clearing that up, and do agree that these engines are very temperamental at high rpm's. That's when all the engine failures happen. Just curious if that was done on purpose during the tune to keep the motor under its failure threshold?

Thanks,

Alex

Even on high boost, the smaller y-pipe, stock manifolds, stock heads and cam keep the tq high and the rpm low and safe.

Attachments

• sts high.jpg
    sts high.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back