STUPID Code P1686??

NightRunner248

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my truck to sonic this afternoon, got home and ate, when I got back in my truck I started it and after about 5 seconds it just turns off, so I start it agin and it shuts off, I try again and give it gas, same thing after 5 seconds. So I pull out the sct and I get the code P1686, Looked it up on here, with not much luck, so I returned the 10 back to stock and cleared the code,I started it back up, same prblem!!! So I ended up disconnecting the battery for about 15 min, hooked it back up, checked the sct for any thrown codes "none" started it up it rans just fine, no problems what so ever!!! This seemed like a easy fix to me, is this problem going to came back in a few days??
so what does this code p1686 mean

"P1686= Driver 5 Line 6/ No SKIM BUS Messages Received"

How do I fix it?

Last edited:
Could be water in the electrical harness for the security system. It's nothing engine/fuel related. It's just security. The module I'm sure is pricey.

1686 No messages received from the Smart Key Immobilizer Module. What I found that code to mean. :dontknow:

It could be your key or wireless control module is going bad. Chrysler products have had wireless control module problems for a while now. The reason the truck shuts off after 5 seconds is it does not recognize a skim key that is programmed to it, or it thinks someone is trying to steal the truck. My suggestion would be replace the wireless control module if both keys do the same thing, if it is only one key replace that.

I know it's an old topic but i ran into the same problem today.
I got out of the truck and had to try 3 times to lock the doors. After a miute i opened it again and everything runs fine ow.
Could it be the battery in the key that's running low ?

There is no battery in the key

Did you cut a key open?

No not at all. The key of a 2006 has integrated buttons for the doors and panic button. One can simply open it to change the battery and then push it together again. It is just a click. No cutting involved.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back