Stupid question, Cat-back(Magnaflow) system owners.

Justanotherdodge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with the bolt/clamp system that they send with it to install leaking? The reason I ask is that I don't have time to install the system right now, so I decided I'd just fork over a few bucks to have an exhaust shop do the swap from the stock cat-back. The weird thing is they said "we don't really clamp anything anymore even if that's how the kits are designed" which sounds like a bunch of BS. Thoughts?

Depends,
Are you talking about this:

prd_7841.jpg

or a band

band3.jpg

The first one is crap in my opinion. Doesn't put equal pressure around the pipe.

ZXqrt76.jpg

Here's the hardware that came with it.

Edit - sorry for the photo size. Apparently the new phone's camera is set to HAM.

HAM! lol. Ya, those are good to go IMO. I don't see why they wouldn't be ok using those.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I honestly don't see the need to weld it all up if it doesn't leak w/ the supplied clamps.
To me it just sounded like they wanted an excuse to take more time/materials so they could charge me more.

I would use those. :dontknow:

Also if he welds it you won't be able to remove it easily. I'd use the clamps and go, never had an issue with them.

My clamps from magnaflow leak just like the ones you showed. I bought mine used so i assumed that was the reason. I plan on eventually using the ones wesalbert pictured(#2) bc it is a little annoying to hear the spitting sound. If I was to have the choice at installation I would have done it then but I was unaware of those type of "clamps".

ZXqrt76.jpg

Here's the hardware that came with it.

Edit - sorry for the photo size. Apparently the new phone's camera is set to HAM.

Harley Davidson uses this type of clamp on most of the bike systems. They are a 1 time use only. Camp is supposed to stretch like a rubber band with the hot/cold cycling. The outer pipe your clamping must have 2 slits cut in it 180 degrees from each other for that style clamp to work properly. If both pipes are solid it will never get tight enough to hold. Either of the other 2 styles should work fine in that case.

Harley Davidson uses this type of clamp on most of the bike systems. They are a 1 time use only. Camp is supposed to stretch like a rubber band with the hot/cold cycling. The outer pipe your clamping must have 2 slits cut in it 180 degrees from each other for that style clamp to work properly. If both pipes are solid it will never get tight enough to hold. Either of the other 2 styles should work fine in that case.

magnaflow pipes do come with the slits cut into them. Good to know about them being one time use.

magnaflow pipes do come with the slits cut into them. Good to know about them being one time use.

Yeah thats good info. Probably why trussman's used system was leaking. I'll let ya'll knock if these do or not when I finally get them on. I'll probably just try to get it done late this week/early this weekend once I get my home renovation crap outta the way.

PS-insulation/drywall sucks.

I have the magna flow exhaust and I installed it myself with the clamps and no leaks and a smile on every mile of it.

Most bikers use them till they won't hold at all. Seen more than one Dyna have the mufflers & mount fall off while on the highway. Lol

Yeah thats good info. Probably why trussman's used system was leaking. I'll let ya'll knock if these do or not when I finally get them on. I'll probably just try to get it done late this week/early this weekend once I get my home renovation crap outta the way.

PS-insulation/drywall sucks.
Working on old rusty exhaust sucks also. Just wait. Lol

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back