suddden clutch failure?

kcsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had an odd event today while driving my 06 SRT-10 RC. I cranked it up after sitting overnight, drove a 1/2 mile, and pulled into a parking spot to drop off a movie. Left the truck idling. I hopped back and put it in reverse. As soon as I started to back up, the clutch pedal lost pressure, and the truck was stuck in reverse. I pumped the pedal a few times, tried to back up, and the truck died.

I cranked it back up again, and the clutch seemed to be back to mostly normal, but a bit soft. After driving another mile or so, it was completely back to normal, and has been fine since.

Any ideas what might have caused it, and whether I should take it in for service?

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. So once I got it home I messed with it a bit, and I know this sounds odd but if I put my foot under the clutch and lift it up and then try to push it down it has no pressure but if you pump it it will return to normal. Don't know why the heck it does it though?

How close is your clutch line to the exhaust manifold. It may need to be routed a little further away. I'm guessing that letting the truck idle while you were returning the movie might have caused a hot spot in your hydraulic line and caused the fluid to vapor lock (for lack of a better term). Again, just guessing.

:dontknow: Personally I think it's a combination of you dropping off a movie and hopping back.. Don't feel bad though because drop 'n hop doesn't work out too well for me either..

Same shit happens to me. Make sure you check for oil in the reservoir, it may be low. If and when it gets too low you wont be able to put it in gear. Then you are going to find yourself stranded.:slug:

.....and when you find out what the problem is, let me know. TIA!

If your truck is under warranty, a service call might not be a bad idea as well.

Bleed the clutch hydraulics and refill with a DoT 5 or DoT 6 brake fluid, available at most motorcycle shops.

FATJACK said:
Bleed the clutch hydraulics and refill with a DoT 5 or DoT 6 brake fluid, available at most motorcycle shops.
Why Dot 5 or Dot 6? I refilled mine with Dot 3 like it says on the cap.

thanks for all of the input guys. fwiw, i drove it today and had no problems at all, and it feels completely normal. like it never happened.

to answer a few questions/comments ...

perk_1405 said:
time to upgrade that beotch.

its an 06 with 11k miles, exhaust and intake, never been to the track. bought it about a year and a half ago new, and is still under warranty.

SilvrSRT10 said:
How close is your clutch line to the exhaust manifold. It may need to be routed a little further away. I'm guessing that letting the truck idle while you were returning the movie might have caused a hot spot in your hydraulic line and caused the fluid to vapor lock (for lack of a better term). Again, just guessing.

never been moved, so wherever it was from the factory i guess. i'll check. i had driven it such a short distance that morning that i don't think the exahust manifold had an opportunity to get that hot. temp outside was right at freezing (32F).

btw, i was born and raised in Raleigh, and spent about 35 yrs there. :)

SRT-IZ said:
Same shit happens to me. Make sure you check for oil in the reservoir, it may be low. If and when it gets too low you wont be able to put it in gear. Then you are going to find yourself stranded.:slug:
[...]
.....and when you find out what the problem is, let me know. TIA!

i will indeed check and let ya'll know what i find.

FastRam said:
If your truck is under warranty, a service call might not be a bad idea as well.

yep, it is, so i probably should. i'll check the obvious things others have mentioned.

FATJACK said:

thanks for the advice. :)

Get Netflix's and never have to abuse your clutch at the video store again! LOL Sorry I couldnt resist.

Clutch comes with a 12 month warranty. Take it in while there is still time.

patrick

kcsr said:
thanks for all of the input guys. fwiw, i drove it today and had no problems at all, and it feels completely normal. like it never happened.

to answer a few questions/comments ...

Originally Posted by perk_1405
time to upgrade that beotch.

its an 06 with 11k miles, exhaust and intake, never been to the track. bought it about a year and a half ago new, and is still under warranty.

i ment time to do the viper upgrade, if the stocker is giving u problems. its a upgrade that lots of us have done, the viper one is metal not plastic.

FOr all you guys that still suffer from clutch promblems.....Do yourself a favor and start saving, get a credit card or just buy the complete viper hydraulic set up...I have about 700 miles on my truck since i replaced it and i can believe now that i went 43k miles with stock pos...You are depriving yourself of what the truck should really shift like.....I can literally shift just using 1 finger if i wanted to....I used to get the same promblems hell once at the track I had no clutch pedal after doing a burnout...quite embarrassing it was,,,,,

The fix is out there so just pay up and get it done.....

FerrariTruck said:
FOr all you guys that still suffer from clutch promblems.....Do yourself a favor and start saving, get a credit card or just buy the complete viper hydraulic set up...I have about 700 miles on my truck since i replaced it and i can believe now that i went 43k miles with stock pos...You are depriving yourself of what the truck should really shift like.....I can literally shift just using 1 finger if i wanted to....I used to get the same promblems hell once at the track I had no clutch pedal after doing a burnout...quite embarrassing it was,,,,,

:rock: thats exactly what i was talking about..:rock:

mauiSRT/10 said:
Get Netflix's and never have to abuse your clutch at the video store again! LOL Sorry I couldnt resist.

patrick

dude, i DO have netflix, and blockbuster. i work from home so i watch alot of movies. :)

perk_1405, FerrariTruck: thanks for the explanation. i guess ya'll weren't kidding in the 500 other threads about how the viper clutch upgrades were a basic, necessary upgrade. ;)

well, figured i would ride it out for a couple more weeks since my last post in this thread (hoping it would just go away) .... and now it looks like the drivetrain is about ready to take a huge dump. hope it can drive it to the stealership in the morning for the appt i have scheduled. my bet is melted slave / slave failure. i'm at 11,400 miles and 1.5 yrs on warranty after purchasing brand new. sure hope they don't refuse warranty repair for it.

FerrariTruck said:

This is the solution...you can do it now or do it later...the fact is that you will eventually do it and it will solve the problem...the stock cylinder is plastic...this option will take you to a billet cylinder...imagine what is happening to that plastic as your temps go up...it will eventually fail completely. Just do it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back