Suggestions

mmmmtorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short story....

I had bad power fluid leaks (lines) for awhile now. (Recently moved to CA and have had no good place to work on my truck, things are in storage, etc)

Anyway, purchased a stainless line replacement kit and put on one line (the leaking one) last weekend.

Tried my best to work the air out and then commenced to driving it. Well it wasnt too long after that I noticed my temps were rising so pulled over. Sure enough my fan wasnt turning.

Now considering I dont have any place to really work on it, know of no known good local shop. I drove it to the local 5 star dealership.

They called and said the fan assembly is bad and needs to be replaced. ($1300 + $500 labor)

Its reported that its difficult to turn by hand and has power.

Not looking for sympathy, just any suggestions on ruling out the power steering pump and or fan assembly...or a third option (aftermarket fan).

Keep in mind I will be out at least $180 for diagnosis and a $250 (approx tow fee) if I dont have them do the work)

still a good chunk of change if ya pull her.

will they let ya supply your own fan, new or used???

check with the guys here to see if they can get ya a good price on the fan.

might be some good used ones floatin around.

Justin has a real nice electric fan for the trucks

I sell you mine for 350 plus shipping dont need it. It only has about 30k miles on it. let me know

one , are you sure you got all the air out? the best way is to loosen the fitting from the rack and let the air bleed there.

but the dawg has a good deal if it is the unit

I am assuming that the power steering pump went out and then took out the fan assembly.

I will talk to them tomorrow and see what they say about supplying my own parts. If they balk then I may just tow it and fix it myself and save some $.

Thanks for the support and feedback so far...I'll let you know what they say after they open in the AM.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
one , are you sure you got all the air out? the best way is to loosen the fitting from the rack and let the air bleed there.

but the dawg has a good deal if it is the unit

But the fan should still come on regardless, correct ?

Are you sure the line you installed is clear? It's kind of fishy that everything went South just after that. Or like Tony says it's got air trapped. That's all I got. Good luck with it Charles. Hope it's something simple.

Last edited:
mmmmtorque said:
depends really, if there isnt enough fluid to push the fan , such as big air pocket then I would think no.

I had a couple guys, maybe 2 that had the same prob, went back and rebled it well, from all the fittings , got a huge pocket of air, an it worked fine after that.

now yours may be different, not sure, but to check it they should have at least took a pressure reading to be sure there was enough pressure to turn the fan.

they may have jsut check to see if the electrical side was kicking in.

make sense?
I suk at explanations is why i ask:aetsch:

mmmmtorque said:

Not really if you have air in there it can be hydro locked for lack of a better term. Also to get the air out lift up the front and block it and turn the steering wheel from left to right lock to lock 20-40 times making sure the pump stays full. I have to do it to mine tommorow:elefant: Oh and dont forget to make sure the cap is back on, these pumps can completely empty the whole system in less then a tenth of a second:dontknow: ask me how I know:eek:

Good feedback, will try that....

Just in case, can anyone get me a good deal on a pwr steering pump? :D

Was it difficult to drive (turn) at slow speeds? If not I'm thinking it's not the power steering pump. I'm with everyone else. The air in the line was chased up to the highest point and got vapor locked there in the fan motor. May be why it's difficult to turn the fan. If you or they could bleed the air out could be the solution.

Damn out of warranty...:(

Stay away from the Stealership...:mad:

If you don't like JMB's kit, give Dan a call at dcperformance, your in L.A. now...:itsme:

Jerry

Sounds to me you need to get that thing the hell away from the dealer!!!
The situtation you describe sounds to me, like most have said, to be air in the lines. I doubt you need either the pump or fan. Bleed it as Stinker said, at the rack, and keep checking the pump resevoir to ensure it's full. NOT TO THE TOP!!! TO THE MARK ON DIPSTICK! If it empties, you've reintroduced air back into the system and have to bleed again. Turn the wheel left to right 30-40 times to disperse the fluid and occasionally go back down and bleed/check resevoir again. Good luck, but I think the tow bill and MISDIAGNOSES FEE should be all the money you need spend, well except some more power steering fluid.;)

Which line did you replace? If you replaced the pressure line from the pump where did you disconnect it at? Reason I ask is when I removed my line I took the line and adaptor fitting from the pump out at the same time. Below the adaptor fitting is a plunger and spring that can be lost. If the spring and plunger are missing or possibly installed wrong you will have this problem.

If it is the fan that is the problem I have one as well if you are interested.

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it. I have been under alot of stress lately, no sleep, etc...Having a few sober minds to point out the obvious helps :D

I am not having them do the work either way....I will have them flush the power steering fluid and check the pressure from the power steering pump.

If it needs replacing, I'll go with an aftermarket fan set up and do the work myself.

Not having a garage to work in is a pain in ass...miss my tools...lol.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back