Suncoast Toast...

HaroldD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 9 months ago, I got a "built" Suncoast 48RE from another member here who had run it just briefly before heading down the TH400 route. I got it because it was about half price, so seemed like a good deal.

It shifted very firm; I'm a fan of quick shifts, but these were to the point of being harsh, but it stayed cool and I figured it would survive. I wasn't sure about other drivetrain components though...:dontknow:

Well, lately it had been making a whining noise in lockup and seemed to be slipping in first and the 1-2 was flaring, so I took it by the local trans shop that I've used for our tow rig and my 4x4.

Verdict - burnt clutches, bands, and torque converter lockup was shot. :mad: :mad: :mad: They re-used a little of Suncoast's stuff (including the converter housing), but built it up like they did my other trucks.

Also, the harsh shifts and lockup cracked the stock flexplate. I had looked around for a billet one when I put it in (I've cracked one in our tow rig with a 12k lb trailer behind it), but I couldn't find one for our SRTs, so I didn't bother. :mad:

At any rate, their rebuild is great! :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: Shifts are still quick and firm; still bust the tires loose, but they are not harsh and I'm very happy to have the truck back the way it should be!

Kudos to Doug's Transmission.

See attached for a pic of the crack in the flexplate.

Attachments

• IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    900.3 KB · Views: 60
Main reason why I'm staying away from suncoast. I've heard this before about there longevity

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back