Sunlight

CRexSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After washing and waxing my truck sometimes I take a few steps back and look at it sitting in the shade often thinking damn this thing looks almost looks as good as the day it was driven off of the showroom floor.. Then I would pull it out into the sun and curse a lot because the paint looked absolutely thrashed with scratches and swirls. Well, yesterday I took the initiative to buffing the whole truck with my porter cable 7424xp and some Lake Country foam buffing pads. After numerous hours in the garage, I can now say the truck looks 99% better. I still have several small scratches but ALL of the swirls and hazing are gone. It wasn't sunny when I was done so I'll have to post some daylight pictures today but you can definitely tell a difference in some of the pictures.

Scratches and swirls before

After

Part of the prob with black paint. Shows all flaws.

I tried about every polish and trick known to man on my dark car(s), and a friend suggested Turtle Wax one day. Yeah - Turtle Wax. I kind of laughed at him, but he gave me a bottle and told me I would be a twit not to try it.

Wouldn't you know, I'd tried $50/bottle polish from Griot's, Zymol, McGuiars, etc., and had only partial luck. I used the Turtle Wax, and my black car looked like an onyx. It was absolutely amazing. No swirls, and a deep shine that looked like I'd paid a detail shop.

Even though I showed several cars, and won several "cleanest/best attn to detail" awards, I've been laughed off of other forums for even suggesting people try Turtle Wax. But I stand my ground. The shit works.

-big

The key to black paint is compound. You have to cut a layer of paint off then polish/seal/wax it. looks good man.

No doubt guys. That was with a heavy swirl cutting pad and some pinacle natural brilliance swirls remover. This morning I'm currently working on going over the truck with a much softer pad and some mothers finishing polish. I don't have a sealant but I do have a good carnauba wax I'm going to apply when done. I bought most of my products from the Mothers distributor on the Hot Rod Power tour and they told me what to get. Didn't mention a sealant though; is that something I should go get?

You dont have to but its a good idea after cutting into the paint. Also I dont know if you have ever tried this product but its a miracle.

RejeXfamily.gif

That shit works bro.

if ya "cut" into the paint, you've gone too far.

base coat/clear coat remember???

& the factory clear coat is very thin

Last edited:
if ya "cut" into the paint, you've gone too far.

base coat/clear coat

Um, hate to tell you but thats exactly what you do. You use a rubbing compound and cut the paint, you literally take off a layer of clear coat that is all scratched up and then you polish the shit out of it. Keep in mind clear coat is paint, so when I say cut the paint…well, I hope you understand.

i understand.

but ya are dealin with 2 different "layers" of paint. one "clear" & one that is the color of the vehicle.

hince base coat, color, clear coat, clear.

and if ya cut past the clear coat, ya gone too far.

is that correct????

i understand.

but ya are dealin with 2 different "layers" of paint. one "clear" & one that is the color of the vehicle.

hince base coat, color, clear coat, clear.

and if ya cut past the clear coat, ya gone too far.

is that correct????

Please re-read my previous comment sir.

i did twice before i posted.

but when your dealin with one thin coat of clear, ya best be careful.

thats what i'm sayin

Keep in mind that I'm using a dual action polisher so I'm not heating the clearcoat that much

Well thats where experience comes into play. I only speak on this because I was a professional detailer. I used to practice on junk cars and you can burn straight through the paint if you arent careful. So, I get what you are saying. I was just saying that the clear coat isnt some magical layer of shiny awesomeness. Its just paint, and you have to cut it to get results.

i think we're sayin the same thing, just with different words.

the body guys & detailers around here "cut" paint is to get flaws out of the paint, clear or color, to finish the job

ZCX is correct, the way you worded "remove a layer of paint" is misleading :burnout:
You have about two sheets of paper thickness of clearcoat that's easy to remove/burn. You are not removing clear much unless color sanding with 1500-2000 grit. When buffing/compounding you are actually using friction and the compounds to melt the scratches/swirls back into a smooth finish. It very much has to do with heat!
As for Turtle wax versus the Griots and expensive polishes and waxes, I'm a professional painter and paint restoration expert and I'll vouch that I personally use Turtle Wax ICE and have for about 6 years with excellent results :)

i think we're sayin the same thing, just with different words.

the body guys & detailers around here "cut" paint is to get flaws out of the paint, clear or color, to finish the job

yep...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back