Sunroof Drains .....

bossharp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never cleaned or blew out the drain tubes for my sunroof..Now I have to! Does anyone hqve tips on how to do it ? Right now I have water driping from the bolt covers on the assist handels on both sides.I hope there is no perment damage it just happned today.Thanks!

There won't be it happens to everyone. Make sure it's not because the sunroof is not flush. Look up one of my old threads on resetting the sunroof, make sure to check your seal.

There is a small tube in the front of the front door jamb. I used my compressor to blow out all the crap from the lines and that worked.

Thanks all! Viper CLKGTR,that really helped.We had hard rain fo 30 min today and no leak...There is a small hose by the passanger door hinge but none by drivers door hinge..Strange..The dealership wantd 180,00 minum to blow them out.Its dry for now.

There are 4 drains. The proper way to clean these is to drop the headliner. Just blowing air through them you can actually blow then off the connector, that would be bad. Two drains at each front door and two in the rear coming out between the bed and cab.

Here is a post I put up on other forum in 2011 after having some major mold issues from my sunroof and third brake light leaking. Anyway, in addition to the sunroof adjustment mentioned earlier, if you have to go the hands on method, this should help you.

Interesting to see a post on this since I unfortunately just had all kinds of water issues which resulted in the carpets having to be replaced. Anyway, I would just like to add some additional info to this, as cleaning the drains is very good advice. There are also drains in the rear. If you look between your bed and rear of the truck cab you will see two little tubes sticking out. These are the exits for the rear drains. If they are clogged the only real way to get at them is to drop the headliner. Not very difficult to do you just have to take some stuff apart. Remove seatbelt bolts, pull out coat hooks, remove grab handles, front and rear, remove front A pillar trim, remove sun visor screws, unplug sun visor, remove sun visor hooks, remove trip computer screw in rear near windshield, pull on both sides of trip computer to release retaining tabs and unplug the molex connectors, remove all of the trim pieces, where the seatbelts were. When all the trim is removed simply pull down the headliner, it is held up by velcro around the sunroof opening. Also disconnect the rear light connector between the coat hooks. You can also disconnect the third brake light connector, I don't think you have though if you just rest the headliner on top of the seats. Also check the third brake light seal for leaks, they are prone to leak. You will now see 4 blue tubes, when the headliner is down, coming out of each corner of the sunroof. Pull the black rubber connector off. If you blow in the tube and hear whistling sound it is clear, if not it needs to be blown out.

When water testing the sunroof (closed) you should only see drips coming out of the drain tubes. If you see alot of water then check the seal. Do this by taking a business card and sliding it between the seal and sheetmetal opening. You should have slight resistance when you remove the card. If there is little or no resistance you need to adjust the sunroof by pulling the accordion black fan look thing (mechanism cover) and then loosen the attaching screws, two on each side. If only one side is bad then adjust that by loosening the two screws and then slide the sun roof forward or back until the seal gives some resistance on the business card.

I learned this the hard way and $600 in new carpet. Hopefully someone else will read this and not have too.

Just went through this with my Dually. Took it in to dealer and told them the glass saw sitting about 1/8" below the roof line. They gave it back to me and said the drain lines were pluged :chain:

Then I had to take the service manager out and show him by sticking a piece of card board through the back seal on the roof when it was closed. Told them that I already tried to adjust it up and it was out of adjustment. Well they proceded to try any way and couldn't do it. Finally they figured out they had to recalibrate the roof to get it to seal.

I would have recalibrated it my self but what I read of the service book said that if it was out of calibation it would not open unless you held the open button down, well they were wrong.

How do you find old post links like this?
Try the search bar and type what you're looking for. Sometimes less is more -

also if you click on "more" once you open the search window then you can type in the keywords

Attachments

• CB5D84E4-68F4-4A83-B76C-26D36401A196.jpeg
    CB5D84E4-68F4-4A83-B76C-26D36401A196.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
As far as I know all sunroofs have a drain tube .. even the dealers couldn’t be that inept ! one of my duster had a sun roof and was leaking everything looked in place .. but I’ll be damned I didn’t even see a drain until later and it was just a small hole built int to track area and had a tube hidden by the headliner and interior parts that ran down and out under the car … Yes it was plugged up . Blew it out with are and no more leak .

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back