Suspension Time

Kiwi SRT10

Full Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had truck on a hoist on Saturday 13th April. Found all boots on top and bottom ball joints are torn, so it is time.....Have bought a 10pcs front suspension kit and lower control arm bushes. 4 new Bilsteins, diff cover gasket and a bottom radiator hose
From Rockauto. Will be here in a week by DHL
I am glad to be buying the original Shocks as that is part of the 10 build.
B O O M !!!!!

What year is your truck? Almost every SRT10 I've seen had ripped/missing balljoint boots, I don't understand why.

No plans lowering the truck?
Ever since cars have been made the boots have become torn or split …
Personally I prefer using good quality replacements that actually have zerk fittings in the to grease the joints myself . That in itself will be able to keep the grease even with leaking split boots

Last edited:
Had truck on a hoist on Saturday 13th April. Found all boots on top and bottom ball joints are torn, so it is time.....Have bought a 10pcs front suspension kit and lower control arm bushes. 4 new Bilsteins, diff cover gasket and a bottom radiator hose
B O O M !!!!!
You must have got the last 1. It says the front end kit is not available

Although he may actually be behind us but whichever way it is - it worked !;)

Ever since cars have been made the boots have become torn or split …
Personally I prefer using good quality replacements that actually have zerk fittings in the to grease the joints myself . That in itself will be able to keep the grease even with leaking split boots
I have never come across such shitty balljoints on vehicles than SRT10s. I'm a car collector and on lots of car forums and I've never seen people complain about the boots like on these trucks, OEM or aftermarket like Moog Problem Solver lines. They're a terrible design, period.

B O O M !!!!!
I guess I'm a little slow or just can't navigate rock auto website correctly. I don't see the bilsteins on there

I have never come across such shitty balljoints on vehicles than SRT10s. I'm a car collector and on lots of car forums and I've never seen people complain about the boots like on these trucks, OEM or aftermarket like Moog Problem Solver lines. They're a terrible design, period.
A ball joints a ball joint , tie rod ends are tie rod ends there made by the same types of companies for the auto manufacturers and the rubber boots are basically the same just with a different label . They are all required to meet federal and auto specifications. The thing that imo is when they started making and approving these parts without grease fittings and end up running dry on grease causing them to deteriorate faster which happens when the rubber boots crack , split over time .. they all do that and have for decades . Years ago when they all had grease fitting , people and mechanics would pump in to much grease and rupture the boots . Rubber dry rots over time and the force and movement flexing the boot which finally split them .. every vehicle and not just these trucks .. there are also bad runs put on vehicles and get recalls.. 2002 dodge Dakota’s is a example . There are other factors like the elements , road salt , weight of vehicles etc . All those things affect rubber and metal ..
one ball joint is the weight load carrying ball joint and the other is what I call the non load follower ball joint .. the loaded ball joint will usually wear out first .. it the same with any rubber suspension part ..

RockAuto appears to be carrying less and less for our trucks .. I had no idea that the even sold kits !
Heck checkout Walmart auto ,, appears the have sublet companies name brand and not name brands .. prices seem better than RockAuto !

I guess I'm a little slow or just can't navigate rock auto website correctly. I don't see the bilsteins on there
Have to put in the part# in the search
Front and rear are on Viperstore and the Bilstein Part# are there too.
Front 24069274
Rear 24025508
I have been caught before.
If you know the manufacturer/brand and part number then put in the search and bingo 9 times out of 10 it is there, even if it isn't on the list of SRT-10 parts.
Be careful too there are a lot of ordinary Ram parts lumped in with the SRT-10 parts too. Need to double check and cross reference everything.
For me especially as the freight is a killer and it won't be going back. Just becomes another garage ornament.

Wow parts Have already left Christchuch NZ that is only 2 hours up the road
"DHL when you want it there in a hurry DHL, they're here already already."
Loved that ad

Wow parts Have already left Christchuch NZ that is only 2 hours up the road
"DHL when you want it there in a hurry DHL, they're here already already."
Loved that ad
That was fast!

Have bought a 10pcs front suspension kit and lower control arm bushes. 4 new Bilsteins, diff cover gasket and a bottom radiator hose
From Rockauto.
What was the part number you used on Rock Auto for the 10pcs front suspension kit? In fact, what was all the part numbers of the items you just purchased on Rock Auto? I am doing my front end and want to see the various item. I looked for radiator hoses before and never found them on Rock Auto.

A ball joints a ball joint , tie rod ends are tie rod ends there made by the same types of companies for the auto manufacturers and the rubber boots are basically the same just with a different label . They are all required to meet federal and auto specifications. The thing that imo is when they started making and approving these parts without grease fittings and end up running dry on grease causing them to deteriorate faster which happens when the rubber boots crack , split over time .. they all do that and have for decades . Years ago when they all had grease fitting , people and mechanics would pump in to much grease and rupture the boots . Rubber dry rots over time and the force and movement flexing the boot which finally split them .. every vehicle and not just these trucks .. there are also bad runs put on vehicles and get recalls.. 2002 dodge Dakota’s is a example . There are other factors like the elements , road salt , weight of vehicles etc . All those things affect rubber and metal ..
one ball joint is the weight load carrying ball joint and the other is what I call the non load follower ball joint .. the loaded ball joint will usually wear out first .. it the same with any rubber suspension part ..

When it comes to SRT10s you cannot tell me, "ball joints are ball joints" when there are countless threads about OEM and aftermarket brands blow out boots within weeks or months of replacement. Heck both lower ball joints on my truck have missing boots even at 51k miles. I have a vehicle 11 years older than my truck with twice the milage and those joints are perfectly fine, there is something horribly wrong with these truck's ball joints.

Not all parts are, "basically the same and have to meet OEM requirements". There are clearly manufacturers who sell parts at different quality levels and price. Moog Problem Solver parts are typically way better built than OEM and address OEM shortcomings, but it appears Moog have even given up manufacturing Problem Solver line of lower ball joints for SRT10s. Moog still make Problem Solver upper ball joints but those don't appear to fail as quickly as the lower ones.

Last edited:
What was the part number you used on Rock Auto for the 10pcs front suspension kit? In fact, what was all the part numbers of the items you just purchased on Rock Auto? I am doing my front end and want to see the various item. I looked for radiator hoses before and never found them on Rock Auto.
I'll second this. It may be in the depths of this forum somewhere. I'd also appreciate specific part numbers for the front end if someone doesn't mind sharing. I was looking real hard at jtsvp 1/2 lowering kit and control arms but that adds up real quick .

When it comes to SRT10s you cannot tell me, "ball joints are ball joints" when there are countless threads about OEM and aftermarket brands blow out boots within weeks or months of replacement. Heck both lower ball joints on my truck have missing boots even at 51k miles. I have a vehicle 11 years older than my truck with twice the milage and those joints are perfectly fine, there is something horribly wrong with these truck's ball joints.

Not all parts are, "basically the same and have to meet OEM requirements". There are clearly manufacturers who sell parts at different quality levels and price. Moog Problem Solver parts are typically way better built than OEM and address OEM shortcomings, but it appears Moog have even given up manufacturing Problem Solver line of lower ball joints for SRT10s. Moog still make Problem Solver upper ball joints but those don't appear to fail as quickly as the lower ones.
Don’t get me wrong ,, I’m all for knowing if there is a problem and what it is .. the thing what I have been finding looking around on forums doesn’t appear to be aimed at the SRT rams but aimed at multiple vehicles and many having the problem due to lowered and lifted trucks that mess with the geometry of the suspension ! Many other factors that I did state previously are some of those factors . Many Ram srt trucks have modified their trucks to different levels .. I have not and have not had a problem with the ball joints or the boots .. imdid think my ball joints were bad due to a clunking noise , I also bought new ball joints years ago .. well it turned out my ball joints are fine and it was the sway bar end link on the drivers side that IMO is a stupid goofy link design that really is not lubricated well and was also not something easy to see and I got lucky to notice it when I was checking the ball joints .. I did get the new sway bar links ( the problem solvers ) which zi have no idea if they will last ( I’m skeptical) but the truck no longer makes the damn popping clunk noise ! Just looking at the sway bar link you couldn’t even tell it was broken !

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back