Swapping 4.10's for 4.56's in a 2004 Rc

HaulinAsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering swapping out the stock gears for 4.56's, what would I lose in top end compared to the 4.10's? Is drivability that much better? I would like to hear some opinions from those that have done this swap.

Thankx in advance....

There is also a sticky that posts gear ratios and speeds...

If you are considering going away from the 4:10 why not go to the 4:88's?

Several have and like the 4:88's.

Marc T and Maui are two that come to mind.

But the group buy on the total rear-end is the cats meow.

HaulinAsp said:
I am considering swapping out the stock gears for 4.56's, what would I lose in top end compared to the 4.10's? Is drivability that much better? I would like to hear some opinions from those that have done this swap.

Thankx in advance....

You would loose nothing in top end, and driveability is much better.

Check out the group buy on rear ends, like it was said it will only cost a little more, be bullet proof, and allow you to put any wheel on that you want to. This is without messing around with grinding calipers, ect. And you are still limited to 16" whells the the stock rear brakes.

I am doing it to my Red 04 and I already have 4.56's and polished and cryoed spider and side gears in the differential.

It just makes life easier in the long run.

I personally swapped an "06 rear into my "04.I found a whole rear end out to the rotors , that had 0 miles on it, on Ebay for 510.00 + 140 shipped to a dock by my home. I swapped it out on a friends lift in abouit 4 hours. I then sold the 4:10 rear end to our good buddy (azmotorhead) for a killer deal as well.I wasnt out too much cash .It was a big difference.I can see why they (dodge) switched from 4:10"s to 4:56"6 in our trucks.

4.56:1.... is the only way to go if your boosted. :rock: If you try the 4.88:1's/boosted, it will be to much wheel-spin. The 4.88's are good on a Truck that is not boosted.
One of my better mods...outside of Boomer's shifter!

Quick

I changed to 4.88's and love them. I called Unitrax and talked with the owner and he agreed with Marc T and others that 4.88's would be best for me. I do not plan on SC ing. The difference is massive over the stock gears. Truck feels so much lighter. When in traffic the truck seems be in the sweet spot rpm all the time. I even use fifth gear in traffic now. You definatly shift more. Truck feels way more torquey and powerful. I have not run at the track but John Stuttle ??? ran with his and was .20 faster if I remember correctly.

Gears from Unitrax were $400 and I had my local dealer install for $400 or $500, I cant remember. When buying your gears, make sure you buy new bearings too. Just a little FYI.

patrick

I switched mine to 4.56 and love it.Around town driveability is much improved.Use 5th gear a LOT now.Generally only use 6th on the interstate.Seems perfect to me.RPM's at 60 mph in 5th are around 2,000.At 80 in 6th it is about the same.

Haulin Asp these guys have been tellin ya about the axle buy, just to let ya know bud, its an average of around $1000 give or take to install gears I think.

but with a new axle assembly you could get any gear ration ya want 4.88 or whatever, with a locker , and even if ya want go with something like wildwood brakes.

But if I was to make a choice on gear ratios for a na truck I think as high as 6th is it would be the 4.88's,

HaulinAsp said:

Thankx in advance....
IMO, if you plan on simple bolt-ons, DO IT!

If you have bigger plans in the future such as forced induction, you may want to keep the 4.10's.

With that said, I never planned to supercharge my truck, so dumping the stock 4.10's was a no-brainer! It is so much nicer to drive with the 4.56's on the street now. Not to mention how much better the truck accelerates from a stop. Of course, now traction is an issue in 1st, but that's half the fun!:D

Hello Friends
I am wondering if the speedometer vill show the acurate speed if yuo change the gear ration in the rearend.:dontknow: :dontknow:

yep sho will, as long as ya dont change the carrier, there is a ring on our carrier that the sensor reads off of , in the axle group buy we have going on they are goin to mill the detroit locker to accept the ring so the abs and speedo will work.

SRT-10 OF SWEDEN said:
Hello Friends
I am wondering if the speedometer vill show the acurate speed if yuo change the gear ration in the rearend.:dontknow: :dontknow:

With what Unitrax sends you, the speedo will still be acurate. No problems.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back