T56 Reverse issue

DUCATI HAULER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove home yesterday from work and the truck shifted fine first thru sixth. I put the truck in reverse to back into my spot ans when I let out the coutch tbere was just a grinding noise. I put the truck back into neutral then shifted back into reverse. It shifted into the postion but when I slowly let the c lo utch out just a grinding noise and no reverse. Any ideas as to what it could be and how much its going to cost. The trans fluid was replaced about 3 months ago.

Shift pad likely worn down and not engaging gear fully. You can try to hold gear in place for time being but you're looking at a rebuild likely bro. Your teeth can also be just worn enough it won't hold any longer too.
Plan on a full rebuild as you'll be in there anywAys.
New pads, syncs , bearings, etc.

Yeah thats what I figured, well shat. I was looking on line and noticed alot of LS1 guys were using tick performance. Went to there site and a rebuild with shipping is 1k dont know if thats a good price. Any recommendations on place to send it. I can drop the trans my self but looking at the gears and bearings from the manual I would hate to screw tbat up.

If your mechanically inclined and have the manual it shouldnt be a problem for you..I think there is a 160$ special tool kit you will need...id look into the transzilla rebuild kits, they have one good for 1000+ hp...Ive heard some good things about their stuff....

tick performance recommended a level 5 tr6060($5000) for my truck(makes near 600/700) and sees 6k clutch dumps. The transzilla is about $8000 without core. Just something to think about.

Just went through the very same thing with mine. Went to put it in reverse and *nothing*, then a grinding noise.

I had mine rebuilt by Jason @ Texas Drivetrain Performance. http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/index.php/t56-6-speed.

I went with his Stage II build. I love the way it shifts now. Made me think all as not well when I bought the truck a few years ago, as it's never shifted this smoothly. Most of his rebuilds are folks who ship their transmissions to him. The main shaft on mine was damaged and the part is no longer available, but he has a machine shop that can usually repair them. Jason is a good guy that stands behind his work.

Last edited:
tick performance recommended a level 5 tr6060($5000) for my truck(makes near 600/700) and sees 6k clutch dumps. The transzilla is about $8000 without core. Just something to think about.

I was just talking there rebuild KITS...plus the 8000$ rebuild you are talking down is good for 1200 hp hence the money difference...

Last edited:
Jason does great work! SRT2SLOW has had issues with Tick but I've used them years ago with success but recommend TDP in DFW as well. :burnout:

rebuild you are talking down is good for 1200 hp hence the money difference...
do it once, do it right :rock:

There's so little info with t56's in high hp trucks floating around. It's near impossible to see which rebuilt kits or built transmissions actually hold up. I'm gambling when i will have mine rebuilt. I dont even think it will last.

do it once, do it right :rock:

There's so little info with t56's in high hp trucks floating around. It's near impossible to see which rebuilt kits or built transmissions actually hold up. I'm gambling when i will have mine rebuilt. I dont even think it will last.

A stout build on a fiddy six sould last a great while in the 6-700 hp range...whats stoping you from doing the rebuild yourself? You sure could save a boat load of cash...

Last edited:
Unless he lives in butt fuck Egypt, there should be someone within driving distance i would think :dontknow:

Nope not at all! There's a handful of shops I trust with a rebuild of a T56/6060 and that's TDP, Tick, RPM, Liberty, and the Gearbox usually has parts if doing yourself.
Bringing it to your local builder is asking for trouble, IMO.

Nope not at all! There's a handful of shops I trust with a rebuild of a T56/6060 and that's TDP, Tick, RPM, Liberty, and the Gearbox usually has parts if doing yourself.
Bringing it to your local builder is asking for trouble, IMO.

If you add RSG and a few others that about makes it driving distance from anywhere!! :):)

I currently live in new orleans and have no issue sending it to Tejas. My truck is stock and a daily driver so just looking for a normal rebuild. Would love to do it myself just dont want to ruin it. Thank yall for all the great advice. This is why I love the VTCOA family. Im going to drop the tranny in the next 2 days and take a look.

im about 30 min from you. Id send it to TX as well.

Make sure you have a trans jack to drop that trans. They arent too heavy but lots can go wrong under that truck. Safety first. If you by all means cant find a buddy to help, i can possibly come on the weekend.

im about 30 min from you. Id send it to TX as well.

Make sure you have a trans jack to drop that trans. They arent too heavy but lots can go wrong under that truck. Safety first. If you by all means cant find a buddy to help, i can possibly come on the weekend.

If you're fat like me you can just use your stomach as a trans jack:D oh and drain the fluid first it'll really make a mess in a hurry

i had to wrestle a piece of crap 4r100 out from under mine. Then i forgot i didnt have the ebrake set when i lowered the truck down months later. sob ran strait into the 4r100 infront of it. I called it quits for about a week after that episode. my poor front bumper and stupid owner.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back