t56 shifting issues

RagunCajun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little background, i have a viper spec t56 in my gen 2 Lightning. It's from a gen 2 viper, it has all viper hydraulics from the gen 2 viper car. Only thing to do with the SRT Ram is the B&M shifter. It has a spec 3+ 26 spline clutch. Truck makes 628/727. The problems happened even when the truck was making 100hp+ less. Ok, now on to my questions...

When shifting at WOT(doesnt matter if i lift or not), it's a little hard to get into gear. It will go half way then click into gear. It seems to always have done this. I've put about 9k miles on it since the install. Are viper spec t56's suppose to easier slide into gear?

I just put in Mobil 1 synthetic ATF as recommended on here through searching vtcoa. I also rebled the clutch line too. The clutch disengages fine and the truck drives fine.

A buddy recommended that i flush the fluid in the clutch master cylinder because it gets dirty and he said it causes issues. If the trans is indeed fine, i really dont know what to do. I doubt going to the new Venom shifter will help. It isnt as shifter issues, it sees it's either the trans or something else.

Well the truck made close to 460/575 with the old set up and it shifted like this. I don't think that's the problem. I see guys with RC 10's pushing north of 450rwhp rowing like a champ.

Last edited:
Mine does this too. For example, I will shift from first, through neutral, into second. But then I let the clutch out admit isn't really in second, its not in neutral and i feel the shifter move into second, but its just not there. So I have to push the clutch in, then pull the shifter further into second until it clicks. I have this problem primarily in second gear, but have had it happen to 4th and 6th too. You can adjust the shifter to get rid of it, but when I get real aggressive with my shifting, it comes back. Consequently, I have to readjust the shifter occasionally.

Strong numbers with your L, btw!

Jeff, i do have the brass bushing. You guys recommended it a while back. Very pleased with that. Thanks! Reverse isnt a problem. It stays in a gear once it's in it.

Caveman i see what you are saying. Mine does my issue in all gears although i rarely use 6th and im not even close to WOT when hitting 5th and 6th.

It sounds like you need a new shifter. Can you grab a video of the problem?

My advice is to have one of us 10 guys drive it around and compare and you do the same for there's.
Maybe when your done you will sell that ugly pickup and buy a real truck.... Won't have that problem anymore.

I'm going to have a couple knowledgable guys drive it soon. A video won't work, it has to be felt.

I'm going to have a couple knowledgable guys drive it soon. A video won't work, it has to be felt.

I'm certain I have the same issue, but only in the gears I mentioned. Have you tried adjusting where the shifter is sitting on the transmission?

I did not know that was possible. No Sir I have not. I need to remove the rubber boot on the shifter to adjust it?

Mine does this too. For example, I will shift from first, through neutral, into second. But then I let the clutch out admit isn't really in second, its not in neutral and i feel the shifter move into second, but its just not there. So I have to push the clutch in, then pull the shifter further into second until it clicks. I have this problem primarily in second gear, but have had it happen to 4th and 6th too. You can adjust the shifter to get rid of it, but when I get real aggressive with my shifting, it comes back. Consequently, I have to readjust the shifter occasionally.

You have a bent shift fork bro!:D

Strong numbers with your L, btw!

I did not know that was possible. No Sir I have not. I need to remove the rubber boot on the shifter to adjust it?

You have disengagement issues! Try this test for me and I guarantee you fail. Put the truck on a level suface with nothing in front of you. ( empty parking lot). Place selector in 1st gear and rev the engine with clutch still in, to your normal WOT shifting point. If the truck lurches forward, you are not completely disengaged during a WOT shift due to Centrifugal Forces exerted by the pressure plate. You will need to disassemble and space the slave accordingly to accomadate those forces which move the pressure plate fingers further from the slave under high RPMs. A perfectly spaced clutch setup will let you shift at any speed and RPM at WOT!! This goes for any hydraulic clutch but moreso for all T56s in all makes vehicles.:burnout:

Just went rev her in 1st like you said. Did not creep at all.

Must be something syncro related then? Usually WOT shifts not happening is air in the lines or improper disengagement. Not sure where you shift but that clutch test will usually be telltale sign of not completely disengaging.
When you try that test that I told you about, snap the throttle to 5500-6000 fast while clutch disengaged. Not a slow,gradual creep to WOT. Hold clutch in, snap the throttle to 5500-6000 and see if it moves even a lil! Any movement is the clutch not disengaging. If not it's sOmething tranny related internally.

i blimped the gas and played with the gas while it was stopped. nothing sir.

WOT shifting can happen, it just a lot harder than id like.

Can the B&M shifter be adjusted? If so, how to make sure it's right. Someone mentioned if the shifter is sitting in the trans correct.

Last edited:
I think mine is similiar. Syncro related i think. WOT i hit second fine but third will grind abit. Normal shifting i notice a slight drag when going into gears now. Not sure what it is yet but won't take it apart till November if i can help it!! Think i might sell mine and buy Prof's!!! That is one hell of a deal for a pristine bucket of 14 second nuts and bolts!!

What do shops charge on average if they have to put new syncros? Pulling the trans too.

If it's a lot i think i will just saved for a t56 magnum and just drive it for a year or two more like this. I'm tired spending money on this.

you might need to upgrade the slave....it might not be keeping up with the heavy duty spec3+ stocks slaves are plastic if im not mistaken

Can the B&M shifter be adjusted? If so, how to make sure it's right. Someone mentioned if the shifter is sitting in the trans correct.

Remove the console and shifter boot. Loosen the four bolts that hold the shifter on the top of the transmission. You will be able to move the entire shifter assembly 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch fore, aft, and side to side. Slide it all the way forward and tighten it down. Go for a drive and see if it changes how the shifter feels. If it feels worse, loosen it up and move it all the way back. Go for another drive and see how it feels. Once you have it where it feels best, you can fine tune it side to side. I've had to re-adjust mine twice.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back