Tailgate Stuck

BadCompany9119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to put some things in the back of the truck yesterday and can't seem to get the tailgate to open up at all. Seems like one of the little plastic clips broke that holds the handle, had this happen on a older truck. No big deal but i have the toneau cover on this time, so not sure on where to go from here anyone have this happen before? All i can see is some allen bolts on the front of the cover near the back window. Also tried sliding a hanger inside to pull the toneau handle with no luck. Any ideas on what to do to get it open?

Only thing I can think of is call a locksmith,, they may have a trick to get in.

BadCompany9119 said:
The stock one from what I know that came from the factory.
Does the bed have a liner over the tailgate lip? If so you may be able to slide A hanger and catch the latch. If there's no liner though you will screw the paint.

Yea there is a liner, tried with a hanger no luck though. Guess I'll keep trying with that and hope I get lucky.

You might be able to pry the outer trim on the tailgate handle. That will allow you to get inside the guts and trip the latch. BE PREPARED to break the handle.... That stock tonneau cover is aluminum, and very expensive. So, I would be much more willing to break the $30 plastic tailgate handle than screw up the tonneau cover. ;)

BadCompany9119 said:
Went to put some things in the back of the truck yesterday and can't seem to get the tailgate to open up at all. Seems like one of the little plastic clips broke that holds the handle, had this happen on a older truck. No big deal but i have the toneau cover on this time, so not sure on where to go from here anyone have this happen before? All i can see is some allen bolts on the front of the cover near the back window. Also tried sliding a hanger inside to pull the toneau handle with no luck. Any ideas on what to do to get it open?

I guess I am the only confused one here? You say you cannot get your tailgate open correct? Can you only open the tonneau cover from inside? That would really suck! Push in on the tailgate while you try and open it? Is one side of the tailgate unlatching and not the other? :dontknow:

VENOMOUS1 said:
I guess I am the only confused one here? You say you cannot get your tailgate open correct? Can you only open the tonneau cover from inside? That would really suck! Push in on the tailgate while you try and open it? Is one side of the tailgate unlatching and not the other? :dontknow:
You can only open the tonneau cover from inside and his tailgate is closed with the handle being broken.

err76 said:
You can only open the tonneau cover from inside and his tailgate is closed with the handle being broken.

Yup only one handle on the tonneau on the inside, i did end up finally getting it open though. Had to break the handle to get in though, and it was the little clip on the passenger side that broke. Have to go pick up a new handle tomorrow. Thanks for the help did not want to have to break and buy a new handle but it got me in.

You can get a locking handle cheap off ebay. Think mine is made by Bully. It wasnt that expensive, and I like being able to lock stuff in the bed.

BadCompany9119 said:
Yup only one handle on the tonneau on the inside, i did end up finally getting it open though. Had to break the handle to get in though, and it was the little clip on the passenger side that broke. Have to go pick up a new handle tomorrow. Thanks for the help did not want to have to break and buy a new handle but it got me in.

It's the only way, dude. :eek: Glad you got it open! I hope you were able to do it without scratching/denting the tailgate.....

call a locksmith and have it repaired for a while then if it's already okay, be careful next time. if i were you, I'd replace them already since this can happen again any time and it's really a hassle for you to experience this again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back