Texas man dies in trapped Vette from heat

Sooo he left his cell phone mistakenly at the Waffle House and is found dead in the Port Arthur restaurant parking lot ??

Agreed its sad, but also pretty strange

i worked on a BMW once, battery died and i was unable to open any of the doors....from the inside, what a horrible design

If there was a manual release, I think it would be nice of whoever sells these cars to show the next owner. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have a copy of my owners manual in my bathroom reading basket. This guy probably has dodged many bullets and get's taken out by a car door.

The same thing could happen in a Gen2 Viper. Manual release is behind the seat on the door.
I'll be dammed if glass is going to be between me and death. See ya window. Shirt off, wrap hand, hold key, break glass.

The same thing could happen in a Gen2 Viper. Manual release is behind the seat on the door.
I'll be dammed if glass is going to be between me and death. See ya window. Shirt off, wrap hand, hold key, break glass.

This was exactly my thought. I'd skip the hand wrapping part though and just turn and kick the thing out. The guy in the car was an older guy though, maybe he couldn't break it (yes, I'm being serious)?

Just a good idea to read the owners manual even when you buy a used car or truck..for you never know what can pop up. Wonder if his family will file a lawsuit?..I am sure GM is prepping for one.

That's pretty sad. After serving this country, to go out as a result of electrical failure and misplacing a cell phone. Pretty much because of TECHNOLOGY. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Shouldn't the sales person at the dealership demonstrate safety features such as this? Of course we aren't aware if he purchased his Vette new or from someone else. I can't see a private seller passing this information onto a buyer. This serves as a good reminder to the rest of us whenever we are getting into any vehicle... To determine where and how to get out upon electrical failure in the event of an emergency.

The guy in the car was an older guy though, maybe he couldn't break it (yes, I'm being serious)?

Yea glass can be hard to break. He also had the option of popping the top off. All C6's with the exception of the Z06 have targa tops.
I also wonder how many people must have walked by him as well. Typical today's society where "It isn't my problem", or "someone else will help"
It is very sad that he went out like this.

As far as a dealer showing people, that's a joke. I have bought 15 vehicles and only had 1 place show me anything about the car I purchased. Most of these being brand new cars.

I'm not sure how much of it is, the dealer never informed the person how it's operated correctly or the customers in such a hurry to leave on a shiny new machine he don't give a damn to listen.

I can assure you in all of my cases I have asked if anyone is going to show me my new car. Only one dealer (Mitsubishi) had someone that showed me the car and how to operate different things like the convertible top and how the cover went on, radio features, even went as far as popping the hood to show me where to fill the washer fluid, check the oil and so on.
On my 1993 Mustang back in the day the sales person attempted to show me, but had no clue what most things were like the red button in the trunk. It is the fuel shutoff switch. It pops when someone bumps you or you get in a wreck. Sometime even popped after going over Railroad tracks. Without knowing this you would pay for a tow truck believing that the car died and wouldn't start. All you have to do is press the switch back in.
On my 1993 Camaro they didn't have a clue because I bought the first one they got into the dealership.
On my Viper the dealership showed me nothing. It was a Toyota dealership and they knew nothing about the car. Not even how to pop the hood. I figured that out on my own to inspect the car. I got the car with no key fobs. I left and went to a nearby Wallgreens to get a phone charger and a drink before heading home (4 hr trip). I locked the doors. When I came back to the car I couldn't get into it. I had to call the salesperson to figure out how to get into the car with no keyfob.... This is how since there are no keyholes on the doors:

Use the key and pop the trunk. Alarm will sound. Reach in behind the drivers door and pull the manual door release. Then open the center console between the seats. At the top of it find the keyhole, put the key in it and turn to shut the alarm off.

So no, it's not about the new shiny car, it's about sales people not even knowing what they are selling. Even new car sales.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back