Texas to raise speed limits to conform to driver habits

ROKTMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Texas is considering raising the speed limit on two major interstate highways to match how most motorists drive. The state’s director of traffic operations, Carlos Lopez, said research found that 85th percentile speed of traffic was 79 mph. Thus, speed limits are likely to raise from 75 mph to 80 mph. The Texas Department of Public Safety said raising the limit to conform to the speed the majority of drivers travel will make roads safer. “If people begin to think that the number on the sign is unreasonable, then they won’t respect it,†Lopez said. “Just putting up a lower number on the highway isn’t going to slow down traffic.â€

As previously reported, data released from Britain’s Department of Transport suggested that as speed limits, speeding decreases — adding credibility to assertions that there is a natural “safe speed†at which most drivers will travel.

On roads with a 30 mph limit, half of passenger cars exceeded the speed limit. On similar roads with a 40 mph limit, just 25 percent of cars exceeded posted limit. This seems to suggest that drivers know a safe speed, and high speed limits would not lead to equally high speeding.

In Britain, with highway limits of 70 mph, between 50 and 60 percent of drivers exceed the speed limit.

ROKTMAN said:

Texas is considering raising the speed limit on two major interstate highways to match how most motorists drive. The state’s director of traffic operations, Carlos Lopez, said research found that 85th percentile speed of traffic was 79 mph. Thus, speed limits are likely to raise from 75 mph to 80 mph. The Texas Department of Public Safety said raising the limit to conform to the speed the majority of drivers travel will make roads safer. “If people begin to think that the number on the sign is unreasonable, then they won’t respect it,†Lopez said. “Just putting up a lower number on the highway isn’t going to slow down traffic.â€

As previously reported, data released from Britain’s Department of Transport suggested that as speed limits, speeding decreases — adding credibility to assertions that there is a natural “safe speed†at which most drivers will travel.

On roads with a 30 mph limit, half of passenger cars exceeded the speed limit. On similar roads with a 40 mph limit, just 25 percent of cars exceeded posted limit. This seems to suggest that drivers know a safe speed, and high speed limits would not lead to equally high speeding.

In Britain, with highway limits of 70 mph, between 50 and 60 percent of drivers exceed the speed limit.

What do you expect.:rolleyes: They drive on the wrong side of the road for god's sake.:eek: ;) :)

5_0_BAIT said:
What does everyone think a "safe" speed is???

Depends on the road and traffic conditions. A lot of the roads in West Texas are 80mph... its long boring road with little traffic. But when they say 80, they mean 80. I got pulled over for doing 84:dontknow:

Damn, I saw Roktman and thought he was back...maybe he is...

Safe speed: 14 second quarter mile sprints!*

*On a sanctioned track...

I'd like to see that study done in Atlanta. The posted speed limit on I285 and 75/85 going through town is 55. If you do less than 70 you are a rolling road hazard. If you want to drive in the fast lane you need to be doing 80. Cops don't even look twice at you running between 70 and 75, but if they decide to pull you over at 80 you get a HUGE fine. IMO there are more accidents because of the people who are doing 55-60 than there are because of people riding with the flow of traffic.

I think there is no safe speed. I do think that audobons should be in each state eventually (lord know we don't need to spend anymore tax money) Why shouldn't we make a road from Cali to NC with limitless speed. Charge a toll tax (100.00) and check insurance card and drivers license. Just a thought!

The vehicle you are driving and its capabilities are the biggest factor along with your ability to control the vehicle at the limit of its performance capabilities. Try to drive an old Pinto on the freeway at 80mph and you sure as hell aren't safe. Any new car would be perfectly safe but it's the old beaters that keep the speed limits down. By "old beaters", I mean cars, not old folks. Hehe

I have an idea.....what if we gave licenses on a yearly basis (more money) but allowed everyone to choose what kind of license. Have a high speed license, a low speed license, a safety license, a drag race license, etc. Then you have rigorous criteria to meet and prove skills. Kind of like what you have to go through here (NC) to get a concealed weapon permit. Would make more money for states and let us have fun legally. Now before you go beating me up, I just want to clarify, I mean strict guidelines for this. Certain roads only, certain equipment only, saftey restraints and so on.

The problem is enforcement. We can require licenses for anything we want, but who is going to check? Who is going to pay for the checking? People don't work for free. What seems like a simple idea can become a multi-billion dollar proposal by the time the government is done with it. Did you know that you paid for a teapot museum in Sparta, NC, as part of a transportation bill? You did!

This is just what "new" ones they added this year!!!!!:mad: :mad:

* $500,000 for a child obesity pilot program for the K-12 system
* $985,000 to expand the “minority male mentoring program†in the North Carolina Community College System
* $500,000 to the “motorsports consortium†– a community college training program for students interested in the motorsports industry
* $2,000,000 in HHS “demonstration projects†to reduce obesity
* $500,000 for a tobacco quitline
* $2,000,000 for an oyster sanctuary program
* $100,000 to upgrade the Building & Sites Web site
* $175,000 for an international trade office in China
* $300,000 in funds to the Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development
* $1,000,000 to increase Internet connectivity in underserved areas of the state
* $1,000,000 for a “community development initiative†in the Department of Commerce
* $135,000 to the North Carolina Indian Economic Development Initiative
* $75,000 for the CSS Neuse
* $500,000 for the Civil Rights Museum
* $150,000 for the Queen Anne’s Revenge archaeology project
* $250,000 for art museum transition
* $175,000 for arts council grants
* $1,000,000 for a performing arts group to perform for school children
* $500,000 for a grassroots arts program
* $25,000 for the outdoor drama “Horn in the Westâ€
* $75,000 for the John Coltrane Music Hall
* $25,000 for the Penderlea Homestead Museum
* $450,000 increase in funding for the North Carolina Symphony

5_0_BAIT said:
I have an idea.....what if we gave licenses on a yearly basis (more money) but allowed everyone to choose what kind of license. Have a high speed license, a low speed license, a safety license, a drag race license, etc. Then you have rigorous criteria to meet and prove skills. Kind of like what you have to go through here (NC) to get a concealed weapon permit. Would make more money for states and let us have fun legally. Now before you go beating me up, I just want to clarify, I mean strict guidelines for this. Certain roads only, certain equipment only, saftey restraints and so on.
:dito:

For those of you who dont live in texas, as they were expanding I-10 through houston they snuck in a toll lane that runs from west houston into downtown, they should raise the speed limit on that thing, it chrages you a $1 for every toll.

man do i need this to happen i just got a 85 in a 60 last saturday and on I30 everybody drives about 80-85 anyways lol:congrats:

Hello 2006. Roktman called...he want's his thread back.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back