The Sickness Exonerated !!

ILtemprd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sickness Exonerated ?!

I know some of you will dispute this, but I was instructed to inspect my U-Bolts on my rear axle because of traction problems we were having on the line at the Bakersfield GTG. After we completed IZ's drop we pulled mine in and found them HAND TIGHT!!. Please check your U-Bolts as soon as possible. I believe someone else has posted to this issue, but it is worth a simple reminder. Thank you Begood for the heads up.

Last edited:
SRT911 said:
what's an U-Bolt?
I guess the other term used is shackles. Its the U shaped bolts that hold the rear axle to the leaf springs. They are changed when installing a drop kit.

Nope, not shackles. Those are U-Bolts. Shackles attach the springs to the frame.

Anytime you alter the suspension you should always recheck all bolts/nuts/etc. for torque values. The suspension componets are very active in movement and need to be re-torqued after a hundred miles or so.

Nope, not shackles. Those are U-Bolts. Shackles attach the springs to the frame.

Anytime you alter the suspension you should always recheck all bolts/nuts/etc. for torque values. The suspension componets are very active in movement and need to be re-torqued after a hundred miles or so.

Silverback said:

Your thoughts on the traction issues we were having off the line Silver, is it possible this was a reason?

Iltemprd said:
Your thoughts on the traction issues we were having off the line Silver, is it possible this was a reason?

ummm....No.....but it could explain the vibration you felt on the Freeway....

I found this to be true on my other truck I lowered so I used Thread Locker or you could put a second jam nut after a re torque.:)

Nowwhat said:
ummm....No.....but it could explain the vibration you felt on the Freeway....
That came up also....It does feel much better on acceleration. :dontknow: ...maybe just hoping...

I'm glad to help. You will have to take it to a track and see how it does now.

Bill.

TheSickness said:
No really Shawn I just plain suck :D
Yes, you do - you have the trophy to prove it :D We love you just the way you are .............;) :rock:

U-bolts

Iltemprd said:
I know some of you will dispute this, but I was instructed to inspect my U-Bolts on my rear axle because of traction problems we were having on the line at the Bakersfield GTG. After we completed IZ's drop we pulled mine in and found them HAND TIGHT!!. Please check your U-Bolts as soon as possible. I believe someone else has posted to this issue, but it is worth a simple reminder. Thank you Begood for the heads up.

Thanks Iltemprd. Torqued to ?? ft/lb? TIA. :rock:

Iltemprd said:

Possible, but doubtful.

However based on what happened and how loose they were I would like to offer a suggestion. Pull your spacer blocks and make sure that the pin is not sheared off (or displaced) and/or that the hole is not elongated. If you see signs of either of those conditions, then yes, that would contribute to what happened in Famoso.

Let us know what you find out.

BigSkySRT10 said:
Thanks Iltemprd. Torqued to ?? ft/lb? TIA. :rock:

Yup, I want to know too...and where can we get Torque Specs??? Could we create a sticky for this data?

Prof said:
Yup, I want to know too...and where can we get Torque Specs??? Could we create a sticky for this data?

The spec I got with my U-Bolts was 100 to 116 if I remember right.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back