Thermostat temp?

stealth78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After speaking with Chuck Tater, he recommends that I run a 180* thermostat. I am currently running either a 170 or 172... I forget. I see most guys seem to be running either the 170 or 172. What's you guys advice about this if any? Thanks in advance

I think you're just fine myself. I do run 180 stats but I don't see 170 being an issue. He's likely saying that due to climate up there and you'll get a little less heat temp through your heater core for cab heating but otherwise I'm sure you still run around 180-185 correct?

The only problem I'm having now is that when I'm still running my truck in Oct/Nov before I put it away for the winter, I sometimes trip a code that is indicating that my truck is running to cold. Chuck says he prefers the 180* on his Viper builds.

I think you're just fine myself. I do run 180 stats but I don't see 170 being an issue. He's likely saying that due to climate up there and you'll get a little less heat temp through your heater core for cab heating but otherwise I'm sure you still run around 180-185 correct?

Scott put the 180 in mine and I have yet to get above the 180 mark---but have not yet had it in our 110 heat running at 80 mph. This summer will tell the tale. Oil temp has not been about 175 and used to run close to 200 with the 195 ts.

The only problem I'm having now is that when I'm still running my truck in Oct/Nov before I put it away for the winter, I sometimes trip a code that is indicating that my truck is running to cold. Chuck says he prefers the 180* on his Viper builds.

As simple and inexpensive as it is I'd swap the stat but honestly you're not hurting anything. You tend to not fully burn off condensation on short drives but otherwise you're good.

My 170* works fine even in 30* cold, no codes. Heat still works good too.

I've gotten this a couple times in the winter as well. Says "Engine too cold too long"!

Bought mine at 15,400 miles and it had a 195 but it came from Boston so it may have been changed. :dontknow:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back