Thinking about a new car, Your opinions please.

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my first Social Security check in 7 days, so I am going to sell my 2006 GTO (Red, 6.0, 400 hp, 6 speed, all stock, 48,000 miles, one owner). I have narrowed my choice to 2 cars....which do you guys think I should get? Choice #1 Cadillac CTS V Coupe, 6 speed (of course), Crystal Red, Recaro seats ( about $71,000 before discounts) or, Choice #2 Shelby GT 500 (Deep Impact Blue, recaro seats, stripe delete) @ $56,590 MSRP, no discounts on these. Don't worry, I'm keeping the Ram SRT-10. I would leave the Cadillac stock. If I go for the Mustang, I will do the following: Long tube headers, JLT intake, catless X-pipe, lower pulley, Cobra Jet Throttle Body, a custom tune, and 4.10 gears. I would expect the dyno to be in the 725-750 rwhp range. So do I cruise in comfort or cruise in a 10 second Mustang?

I will be going to some new heads and cam (at least) on the SRT-10 and I expect it to be in the high 10's . I also have a 2000 Firehawk that we are building a 433 cu. in. stroker (should be about 650 rwhp) that I will race also (it will be at least 500 lbs lighter than the Mustang.

Id say Shelby... kinda hard decision.... caddy would be nice 2!:D

GT500 All the way .. The Caddy will not hold its value . You can not buy a 03-04 Cobra for under 25k with decent miles .

Caddy, especially if you are already have 2 cars to race with. Cruise in style and comfort and blow the doors off anybody that wants to run.

I gotta say CADDY all the way!:rock:

There's a bagillion mustangs on the road:(

I have a friend that owens both. And from the price range that your talking about im assuming its not a new gt500 but thoes are bring around 70 grand. But he swears by the caddy. He took it to lingenfelter and made it a bad boy. He doesnt like his 500 cause its a one purpose car that gets no traction. Plus its cool to say you have a 550 hp sedan

I have a friend that owens both. And from the price range that your talking about im assuming its not a new gt500 but thoes are bring around 70 grand. But he swears by the caddy. He took it to lingenfelter and made it a bad boy. He doesnt like his 500 cause its a one purpose car that gets no traction. Plus its cool to say you have a 550 hp sedan

I'm considering theCTS V Coupe, not the sedan. And yes, it is the 2013 GT500 with 662 HP, the dealer I am working with is selling it for MSRP. Base GT500 is $54,995, plus $1,595 for Recaros = $56,590 + tax and license. Cadillac is about $71,205 MSRP, but I can get it for Employee pricing , so about $68,000.Most of the Ford dealers are marking up the Mustangs between$5,000 and $20,000, but I refuse to pay over window sticker. There are several options on the Mustang that I don't want, such as Performance Package, Track Package (those two are more for Road racing, which I don't care about), Electronics Package , Stereo upgrade, etc and they can run in the mid to high $60,000 range.

Last edited:
caddy for cruise...you already have a fast 10..the caddy has comfort and is fast

I think this question has been asked 100 times before it seems by different members.

same cars. I agree with the mustang holding value it's true.

Both are fast cars, both cost a lot. IMO people should not decide what you buy, it's your money and you will be the one owning it.

Why don't you get on some forums and see the pros and cons of both before you buy anything. I mean the caddy might ride so nice, but might be a POS with factory problems, not saying that it is, just trying to give an example.

Is this the only 2 cars you will buy ? or is there maybe a possible other ? I have always hated buy a new car LOL I just seem to go back and forth all day. But good luck with which ever you buy.

After seriously considering all your options, I have decided you will get a GTR, since I can't afford one :D. As for the other choices, I can tell you a new 5.0 tops my want list, so I would lean towards the Shelby. Like ARRESTmeRed04 said, with the right mods, you are close to a 9 second car.

Our friend Nelson from Evolution Performance has (2) Grabber Blue '13 Shelby GT500 Coupe's. This car hands down is the new "King of the Road" in the American car market. There car ran 11.6 @ 125 mph bone stock off the showroom floor. They installed Long Tube Headers, Mufflers, Slicks, Skinnies, 4:10 Gear Swap, pulley, & a tune and ran 9.95 @ 142 mph!!!!
This car modded will piss ANY supercar owner off Guaranteed!!!! :D

c110d3d2.jpg

459832f3.jpg

9 second pass video!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxEUA0W7nQ]First 2013 Shelby GT500 In The 9's - 9.95@142MPH - YouTube[/ame]

but I refuse to pay over window sticker.

You should refuse to pay close to window what the window says and above.

I would go V though, I thought they were cool but then I saw one with exhaust that opens up that note and holy moly

Our friend Nelson from Evolution Performance has (2) Grabber Blue '13 Shelby GT500 Coupe's. This car hands down is the new "King of the Road" in the American car market. There car ran 11.6 @ 125 mph bone stock off the showroom floor. They installed Long Tube Headers, Mufflers, Slicks, Skinnies, 4:10 Gear Swap, pulley, & a tune and ran 9.95 @ 142 mph!!!!
This car modded will piss ANY supercar owner off Guaranteed!!!! :D

I'm well aware of this car, I've probably watched that video over 100 times. Actually they went 10.02 with the 4.10 gears, and full race gas tune (116 octane) , the 9.95 pass was with 4.30 gears. That exhaust sound sends chills through my veins, really gets the blood pumping. That video is the main reason I am having such a hard time deciding. I have driven a 2011 CTS V Coupe with a 6 speed and I was impressed! It felt nearly as quick as my SRT-10 (11.63 @ 118 best). I have also ridden in a 2013 Shelby (but I wasn't allowed to drive it) owned by a private party and I wasn't that impressed, but then again I wasn't driving. To be honest my truck feels faster....again I wasn't driving.... and the owner got on it hard from about 50 to 100 mph...and it seemed OK....but I was thinking with 662hp I should have been impressed and i wasn't. I know that with the mods I have planned the car will be an easy low 10 second car with tires. I hope you can see my situation:dontknow: And thanks everybody, keep the comments coming....oh and Caveman... I'm not considering the GTR...it's an Automatic...and thats a NO NO for me.:D I have also considered a ZR1, ZL1 and Z06 . I need a back seat for the grandkids, and the initial reports for the ZL1 have been very disappointing, plus I think the interior (read dashboard) in the Camaro is horrible. It was the reason I first looked at the CTS V (loved the interior) and the reason the CTS V has a slight edge in my choice as of now. ......But , OH that GT500 exhaust.....(In my best Lewis Black impression) Son Of A Bitch!:burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back