Thinking about starting a business, advice?

Discussion in 'Non-Offensive' started by Roz, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Roz

Roz Active Member Supporting Member

Well, I had once the worst days at work in a LONG time. They're all regularly shiddy-days anymore (but). On Sat (service dept closes at 12) and I was there until almost 3:00, and I'm there late on a regular basis on weekdays too. We close I 5:30 and I'm usually there til 6:30-7:00. If I leave at 5:30 it's a damn miracle!! I seldom take lunches anymore etc etc. Bitchin' about my job isn't the real purpose of this thread. :mad: :D

Anyways, I've been kicking around the idea of starting my own small business. I know alot of guys are business owners or have been in the past. I've been wanting to do it for a while (several years), but never really had the money or opportunity, and I was scared to take the "risk" (all excuses in my opinion). I'd really like to go after this, but I've got a LOT to learn yet. . . ;)

What I'd like to do is create a mobile auto-detailing business. I'd also like to offer wheel refinishing and paintless dent repair (in due time). I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I want to be able to offer/perform enough services so I'll stay busy with work. For now, I do not intend to have any employees other than the occasionaly helper. I'd also prefer my client-base to be mainly specialty/collector cars instead of daily driven cars but I'll take any work that comes my way. I'm not totaly sold on that idea, because alot of enthusiast (like ourselves) prefer to do their own detailing. That's probably because they don't trust anyone else with their vehicles (atleast that's how I feel). So I figure the mobility aspect of the business will be a more beneficial so people's pride-and-joys will not have to leave their property or their sight for that matter. So, bascially, that's "it" in a nutshell. I'm gonna start doing this on the side any-day-now (gonna hope I have the time with work and all). I'd like to be up and running by next spring or summer. I plan to hit all the local car shows in the spring to spread flyers and drum up customers. :cool:

OK, I'll get to the real point of the thread. I'm gonna do as much research online as well as seek the guidance of local professionals/advisors. What are the do's or dont's of opening a business? Those of you that own your own business, what'd you learn the hard way or what would you have done differently now that you know what you know . . . I (think) the best way to operate would be as an LLC. I want to be able to show a legimate taxable income. I want to be insured incase something crazy happens to a customer's car. I live in a multi-state border (TN/GA/AL) and would want to able to business in all states. I'd also like to be able to travel outside of the "metro" area if the need arises. Well, that about sums it up for now.

Note: Please save all the "where the f**k have you been" posts for another thread. :) :aetsch:

2. TNVIPER

TNVIPER Active Member Supporting Member

Give me a call Jimmy...we can even meet in Knoville for a burger & beer..:)

3. 505'sFastestViper.

505'sFastestViper. Full Access Member

where the hell you been man!!!!!!!????????

4. Roz

We haven't been on a date in years!!! :date: I'll take you up on your offer!!!! :rock:

5. yellow446

yellow446 Full Access Member

Good luck ... Hope everything goes good for you buddy if you go for it ...

6. TNVIPER

Just dont tell Jack...you know how jealous he is...;) :p

7. FATJACK

FATJACK Full Access Member

I'll sure let you clean my nasty ass truck up!!:rock: :rock:

8. TNVIPER

Why do you think I wanted to meet with him in Knoxille?...

9. FATJACK

You sorry shit, you won't show up!!:( :(

10. TNVIPER

When did I not show up when I said I would be there old man???...:dontknow:

11. FATJACK

Old Man??? Are you talking to yer pecker??:D :D

12. SANCHOBA

SANCHOBA TEXAS A&M DAD Supporting Member

my advise?.....wait until obama and his cronies are voted out!

13. SilvrSRT10

SilvrSRT10 Full Access Member

You most likely will end up working longer hours for less money. Making appointments, billing, collections, taxes, getting supplies etc.. But you'll be your own boss. Only take on the amount of work you can handle yourself. Employees can be more of a hassle than they're worth. At least that's been my experience. Good luck.

14. TNVIPER

....I meant old fart..LOL....:aetsch:

15. viperhauler

viperhauler Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i can tell you a few things...this will be 5 years full time for me...7-8 total working for myself...

i learned A LOT...

about detail businesses...i do know a little from friends who are in the field...

no. 1...if you can help it...try to buy everything with cash..(save for maybe the van)...that way, if shit hits the fan, you won't have the debt to linger, as well...

there's tons of benefits of being incorporated...write-offs, etc...larry knows some shit...we've talked several times about my own stuff...

i own the construction co., and i'm soon to branch off into contract work that i'll probably start as a second entity so the books don't get mixed together...

gimme a shout any time...

you still got my numba:date:

16. Roz

That's something I've thought about. I know the job will continue after the physical work is done with billing and scheduling etc . . . I can only hope I plan my days accordingly (which what I do being a service advisor anyways).

17. Roz

That's my plan, to buy everything I need outright. I can get a van or truck/trailer combo pretty reasonably. I already own the majority of what I need (buffer, vacuum, air-compressor etc) Getting off the ground and bookkeeping is my real conern (as of right now).

I'll give ya shout bro-han. You have to talk dirty though. ;)

18. SilvrSRT10

SilvrSRT10 Full Access Member

Unless you already have a following.......building your client base is the first big step. There will be a few days of staring at the phone trying to will it to ring. You'll need to go out and beat the bushes for customers, advertising, cold calls etc. But once you develop a good reputation you'll wish the phone would quit ringing (so much).

I left IBM to start my business. I was doing it part time (going into work early then coming home and installing a couple doors. Sometimes by headlights) then made the decision to leave IBM and do this full time.

There will be some sleepless nights wondering if you made the right decision. I did. But I also had no competition in this area. Do your research to see what the demand is and who your competition is and what their reputation is. Know thy enemy.

Also......when you do start making money sock more of it away than you think you'll need to. There are all kinds of taxes (state, federal) and insurances (workmans comp) that pop up and may be necessary for you to do work for certain businesses. Even though I had an accountant doing my taxes (quarterly), I usually ended up having to pay even more come April 15th. Sometimes kick in the nads amounts.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  19. wesalbert

wesalbert 2015 Truck of the Year Supporting Member

Only advice I can offer...... Buisness partners suck

20. Roz

I've worked in automotive business off/on for many years in this area, and kept good contact with people in the business as well. To my knowledge, there isn't a super successful mobile detailing business in this area. I'm really hoping to cater to the specialty/collector/show-car crowd vs Mrs Smith's dirty/nasty/beat-up Suburban XL. Even with my experience more focused around daily-drivers, I'm confident I can "find" the clientele I ultimately want. I'm also not afraid to spend a few dollars on advertising. I'm going to make good use a website, list/price services/menus show before/after photos and post testimonials etc.

I'm going to have to wein myself into this venture. I know I'm going to have to work hard(er) than I do now to make it work in the long run. I do appreciate you taking the time to post some advice.

Thanks for that last bit of info. Something I know I'll have to do is dicipline myself as to what amount is "mine" what amount is "the company's". Since some of the prior years were kinda tough for me, (lately) I've been guilty of being frivolous and treating myself now that there's some money in the bank. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010