Thinking of adding a Traction Control Window Switch

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for traction issues but for hopes of getting a better launch. My issue is this. Rev to 4,000 dump the clutch and get on the gas.....tires hook and motor bogs to 2,200 rpm which is too low for me to floor it which would turn on the NOS. I'm being too tentative and not getting into the throttle enough to keep the revs up cause I don't wanna blow it up. So I never realized a window switch would serve as a performance mod- I always thought it was for safety only. But if I could floor it right off launch and as soon as it hit 3,100 rpm's it started spraying that'd be a lot better launch than i'm doing right now. Make sense to anyone else:dontknow: Come on talk me into getting it.....its only $159 for one from zex and will mesh perfectly and looks like a cake walk install.

I'm sure Nowwhat will be along shortly to fill you in.

Sorry, I had to post something. Didn't want to be a Turd Licker.:eek: :D

Honestly, calling this unit a "traction control" window switch makes you think it's something more than it is. Traction control on vehicles so equipped is a fairly sophisticated system of engine torque and/or brake management based on wheel speed vs. vehicle speed. This nitrous controller is simply allowing you to program nitrous injection based on RPM and gear selection (providing the vehicle can send that information to this controller). It does not, in any fashion, take into account whether or not your tires are spinning. It just allows for some programmability as to when the system is going to spray. The name is just "tarted" up to make what is really just a window switch seem more capable than it is.

Only by virtue of the settings you make on this controller will it change how nitrous effects your traction, but it really is not a traction control device in any other regard than that, per se. After all, you wouldn't call a boost controller on a turbo system a "traction controller", even though by controlling boost it can manage the engine's output for time and RPM to help keep from applying too much power.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Ram From Hell said:
Honestly, calling this unit a "traction control" window switch makes you think it's something more than it is. Traction control on vehicles so equipped is a fairly sophisticated system of engine torque and/or brake management based on wheel speed vs. vehicle speed. This nitrous controller is simply allowing you to program nitrous injection based on RPM and gear selection (providing the vehicle can send that information to this controller). It does not, in any fashion, take into account whether or not your tires are spinning. It just allows for some programmability as to when the system is going to spray. The name is just "tarted" up to make what is really just a window switch seem more capable than it is.

Only by virtue of the settings you make on this controller will it change how nitrous effects your traction, but it really is not a traction control device in any other regard than that, per se. After all, you wouldn't call a boost controller on a turbo system a "traction controller", even though by controlling boost it can manage the engine's output for time and RPM to help keep from applying too much power.

Make sense?

yeah makes sense that's Zex w/ some creative marketing. I agree that it will aid in traction control when sparying but yes it is not a true traction device. I don't give a damn about traction anyways....that aint the problem!

so you are saying with just youre caltracs you can dump the clutch at 4000 rpm and you dont spin,,,,,,,,you just hook up on 22 street tires?

stick said:
so you are saying with just youre caltracs you can dump the clutch at 4000 rpm and you dont spin,,,,,,,,you just hook up on 22 street tires?

Check his sig. He's running 17's & drag radials.

i have no idea on what you are talking about, but i am here to try and talk you into like you wanted...my unprofessional, unschooled, unknowing opinion is to go ahead and get that thing you was talking about...

ya i have one for my truck... but i went and ordred the wrong one apraently they didnt make one for a V10 set up and you cant use the v8 switch.. you have to get something that will work on a 2 cyl option .. and aparenlty thats the one that tricks it and works with a v10.. but maybe they have it out for the viper now.. but that was my experience last year.. and i ended up with a usless window switch.. unless somday i get an 8 cyl

I am not sure how a NOS device will play with your ZEX system and its electronics controls, but I would definitely recommend upgrading from a basic window switch, to a full-out nitrous programmer(progressive controller). I know NOS makes them, but am not sure what compatibility issues you may have with your ZEX products. They are about $400, I think. The advantage? Well, a typical window switch(not sure if ZEX is typical or not?) will simply tell the nitrous to turn full on at some point and turn full off at some point. This point is set either by a removable chip, a dial, or is factory set to a certain point. A progressive nitrous controller can actually allow you to change (with dials) how much nitrous (% of 100%) you initially hit the system with when it is triggered on, and then allows the system to get from that point to 100% as quickly or as slowly as you would like. For example, you could set the controller to turn on 2.2 seconds after you leave the line at 10%. Then it will ramp up to 100% of your nitrous shot in whatever timeframe you specify, say 6 seconds. So, in doing this, you are able to control exactly how much nitrous hits your motor, and exactly when. This is the ultimate in "traction aid" and can be changed to almost limitless combinations to fit your specific needs. Also, some progressive controllers can be used with an MSD 7AL box to allow different programming for each different gear you are in. Hope this helps.

Greg

I was going to get one for my truck, but I guess I need to call and see if it will work on the V10. I would definately get one if I had a 6 speed!! Miss a shift with the throttle pegged and BOOM. Its much easier with the auto, floor it in first, watch tach, when it hits 2800 flip the switch:D

MUTT said:
i have no idea on what you are talking about, but i am here to try and talk you into like you wanted...my unprofessional, unschooled, unknowing opinion is to go ahead and get that thing you was talking about...

Thanks MUTT thats all I wanted!!!!! Ok I'm gettin it!!

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
ya i have one for my truck... but i went and ordred the wrong one apraently they didnt make one for a V10 set up and you cant use the v8 switch.. you have to get something that will work on a 2 cyl option .. and aparenlty thats the one that tricks it and works with a v10.. but maybe they have it out for the viper now.. but that was my experience last year.. and i ended up with a usless window switch.. unless somday i get an 8 cyl

yeah i heard bout that too. issue w/ some v10's i heard was the rpm signal was a lower voltage. The Zex window switch does work on V-10's and 2 cycle applications. Thanks for lookin out for me though.....that'd have sucked if i got one that didn't work.

fun2x.......i hear you and i know thats good stuff but i don't neeed to progressivly control the nitrous.....it has not spun once spraying 150 shot in first gear on the drag radials. I just want to be able to floor it off the line and not worry bout nottin. Plus I can get this switch for $159.

Rice I added an MSD window switch to my setup for the same reason. Although I haven't reved to 4k on the take off the truck does bog down somewhat. I didn't want the nos to kick in before 3k so I went ahead and purchased it. The MSD was $100 and It has the settings for a V10 (od2) and an on rpm setting and off setting fully adjustable. Hope this helps.

fastblksrt said:
Rice I added an MSD window switch to my setup for the same reason. Although I haven't reved to 4k on the take off the truck does bog down somewhat. I didn't want the nos to kick in before 3k so I went ahead and purchased it. The MSD was $100 and It has the settings for a V10 (od2) and an on rpm setting and off setting fully adjustable. Hope this helps.

right on bro thanks for the info! Have you had any runs since installing it? How'd you do and how much you spraying?:dontknow:

Yep...it will really help on a well prepped track

Vprpwr's best 60' was spraying off the line....he was dumping the clutch at 5000+ rpms....

I will be spraying a 75 shot off the line at 3000rpm....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back