Thoughts on my X-Metal TB

lbstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Friday I installed my new X-Metal TB. The installation was pretty straight forward. I have an overview of the install posted in the DIY section.

I initially was having a slight sticking of the throttle right after the install despite proper shimming. I feel I pushed the TB rob in a bit to far causing the blade to rub on the side of the TB at the pivot point. I gave a very slight pull outward while tinkering with the TB and the throttle and have not had a problem since.

My thoughts on the throttle body are as follows. I have no idea why the truck doesn't have a TB like this from the factory. This mod has increased the drivability of the truck. I always noticed that while in first gear, I would have a hard time modulating the throttle ever so slightly to prevent the truck from learching forward and catching itself with the clutch fully engaged and under low RPM's. This was very similar to how my street bike used to react to slight throttle blip while fully in gear (1st or 2nd) and just tooling around slowly. Another slight nag of mine was trying to get a smooth shift under light acceleration. I noticed it was hard to dial in the right amount of throttle causing the learching again. With the new TB, these little "issues" are solved. The throttle responce in much improved and the modulation of the throttle right off idle is easier. As far as SOP dyno, I feel the truck is making a few more peak hp. But down lower in the RPM is where the difference is more noticed. The truck pulls noticably harder from just off idle to about 3K. Under lighter throttle applications, I can hear my K&N intake making a bit more noise. Under WOT without the cats I cant hear the intake but I'm sure its making a ton more noise. It's music to my ears!!

All in all this is a great mod and ranks up there with the tuned PCM and Catless Mids for instant gratification. A must do mod for all RC's in my opinion. The QC guys should love it too for the increased throttle responce. I hope I'm not the only RC owner that is annoyed by the bucking that happens in first gear under light throttle and low RPMs and while shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd under light throttle.

Nice post Bro....However I wonder why you actually need to drive a truck when you can carry one :confused: :D From a Fan in Az :eek: :D

lbstone said:
All in all this is a great mod and ranks up there with the tuned PCM and Catless Mids for instant gratification. A must do mod for all RC's in my opinion.

Ya think it's a 'must do' for Vipers as well?:dontknow:

I hope so, cuz I have one on order!!:D :rock: :D

Good Post!

lbstone said:
On Friday I installed my new X-Metal TB. The installation was pretty straight forward. I have an overview of the install posted in the DIY section.

I initially was having a slight sticking of the throttle right after the install despite proper shimming. I feel I pushed the TB rob in a bit to far causing the blade to rub on the side of the TB at the pivot point. I gave a very slight pull outward while tinkering with the TB and the throttle and have not had a problem since.

My thoughts on the throttle body are as follows. I have no idea why the truck doesn't have a TB like this from the factory. This mod has increased the drivability of the truck. I always noticed that while in first gear, I would have a hard time modulating the throttle ever so slightly to prevent the truck from learching forward and catching itself with the clutch fully engaged and under low RPM's. This was very similar to how my street bike used to react to slight throttle blip while fully in gear (1st or 2nd) and just tooling around slowly. Another slight nag of mine was trying to get a smooth shift under light acceleration. I noticed it was hard to dial in the right amount of throttle causing the learching again. With the new TB, these little "issues" are solved. The throttle responce in much improved and the modulation of the throttle right off idle is easier. As far as SOP dyno, I feel the truck is making a few more peak hp. But down lower in the RPM is where the difference is more noticed. The truck pulls noticably harder from just off idle to about 3K. Under lighter throttle applications, I can hear my K&N intake making a bit more noise. Under WOT without the cats I cant hear the intake but I'm sure its making a ton more noise. It's music to my ears!!

All in all this is a great mod and ranks up there with the tuned PCM and Catless Mids for instant gratification. A must do mod for all RC's in my opinion. The QC guys should love it too for the increased throttle responce. I hope I'm not the only RC owner that is annoyed by the bucking that happens in first gear under light throttle and low RPMs and while shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd under light throttle.

NICE post!!! X-Metal RAWKS :rock: :rock: :rock: Boomer is da man :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :rock:

TheSickness said:
Nice post Bro....However I wonder why you actually need to drive a truck when you can carry one :confused: :D From a Fan in Az :eek: :D

just wonder i you 2 should hugh , who's gonne be first become blue :confused: :dontknow:

Stinker said:
it been done, sworn to secrecy, but wsnt pretty;)

come on stink, you got results? Post up! My SOTP says there is some hp/tq improvement (slight)

milkmanedi said:
come on stink, you got results? Post up! My SOTP says there is some hp/tq improvement (slight)

I agree , put up or STFU.:bebored: :bebored: :bebored: :elefant: :p :D :D :elefant:

Wifey said:
I agree , put up or STFU.:bebored: :bebored: :bebored: :elefant: :p :D :D :elefant:

hey wifey post of pic of yours installed on your truck showing it is your truck:p
or if it isnt installed a pic of it beside your tag plate:D

then....................................I may or may not tell:p

Stinker said:
hey wifey post of pic of yours installed on your truck showing it is your truck:p
or if it isnt installed a pic of it beside your tag plate:D

then....................................I may or may not tell:p

you seen one tb install you've seen em all.:bebored:

lbstone said:

I expect that if Phil Pfister gets a Ram SRT10 and joins the forum you'll have some explaining from having tagged yourself as "America's Strongest Man". Having ended America's win drought in the 2006 World's Strongest Man Competition with the first win since Kaz, I'm inclined to view him as "America's Strongest Man".

Good write-up on the TB.

oldguy......OK "strong oldguy"

I did not have a problem bucking for, Well up to about 40,000 miles. Then stated getting it. I believe it was the T.P.S. I replaced it ,Along with install of the ROE T.B. I must say S.O.T.P. was impressive. I drive this truck every day, And can feel the difference. It pulls much harder through all gears, That being said i put it on the dyno. I seem to have lost about 12 hp. I do not understand this because of the reasons i stated. I am not going to worry about it anymore. It feels strong,And better than before so i am good with it.

oldguysrt10 said:
I expect that if Phil Pfister gets a Ram SRT10 and joins the forum you'll have some explaining from having tagged yourself as "America's Strongest Man". Having ended America's win drought in the 2006 World's Strongest Man Competition with the first win since Kaz, I'm inclined to view him as "America's Strongest Man".

Good write-up on the TB.

oldguy......OK "strong oldguy"
I wont the 2007 Americas Strongest Man Competiton, he didn't show! Check out my video's if ya doubt me!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjgvgdz4Yu4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNP_8Bz3EI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOEggOiPPjc
any questions?? Didn't think so!!
Next time, PM me and don't ruin a thread, thanks!

lbstone said:
I wont the 2007 Americas Strongest Man Competiton, he didn't show! Check out my video's if ya doubt me!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjgvgdz4Yu4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNP_8Bz3EI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOEggOiPPjc
any questions?? Didn't think so!!
Next time, PM me and don't ruin a thread, thanks!

Congratulations on the lifts and the win. I don't have cable since the hurricane, haven't kept up with strongman since, and didn't know the outcome of the 2007 America Competition. I stand corrected.

Yep, one question.....aren't you awfully sensitive for such a big guy?

On a serious note.....congratulations again. Impressive, and I've been in strength sports long enough to understand the significance of what you've accomplished and the sacrifices you've had to make to achieve that level of performance. If you're ever gonna be in the East Texas area, PM me. I've got some powerlifter friends I'm sure would want to congratulate you. Kaz was a guest speaker at a competition I was in years ago. He had some excellent stories from his days in Strongman.

Go win World's for America.

Thread not ruined!

oldguy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back