Throw out bearing clearance

Ponchopwr70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just measured my throw out bearing clearance and I have .48 clearance between the clutch and t.o. Bearing and the slave looks like it's 1.48 stroke. Also I measure the installed height of the viper and the stock assembly with the spring all the way out and it's 3.55" from the trans mounting surface for the viper and 3.38" for the stock unit. With the spring compressed and bearing all the way in I have 2.07" for the viper and 2.49" for the stock one. My clutch fingers to face of trans is 2.55". So my question is do I need to shim the slave? I've read I should have .1-.2" of clearance with the bearing fully compressed. I'm running a stock flywheel resurfaced (approx .015 removed), centerforce clutch (which the pressure plate and disc both have luk stamps on them and look to be based off the oem clutch parts, viper hydraulics from jtsvp. So I'm so confused on this because the trans and engine dimensions are the same for the car and truck, so I would think this set-up should work no problem. The viper salve looks to have almost 1.5" travel and the stock ram one has almost one inch at .89. So the viper hydraulics are almost identical to the stock in relation to fully extended. I just don't want to have to take the transmission out a bunch of times. I had to go through all this the hard way when I built my 70 Pontiac lemans with a Howe t.o. Bearing and Richmond 5 speed, if I didn't have the .15" clearance I had problems, to much space and the bearing would puke.

I bolted the Roe viper slave to the transmission, complete with the 2-1/8" shims. Installed the pressure plate and disc in position torqued it down appropriately and assembled the transmission and have been happy with the setup for the past 5 years. No issues at all. It even hold better the the tires with the twins! 11psi of boost. I never rev past 5500 rpm. Now with boost i don't have to ... :)

What clutch and flywheel did you use? And if I'm understanding correctly you used 2x 1/8" shims totaling 1/4"?

centerforce clutch stock flywheel... yes both shims supplied with the Roe kit

You also need to take into account the material removed when the flywheel was resurfaced.

Yes that is .015 which is 1/64" not very much. Based on my measurements I'm off by 1/4"

Also just measured the lip on the slave that mates to the trans and the lip is approx .20 long with .04" being a taper and the same on the trans with an .04 lip. So that means only .12" of the slave lip is holding it centered. Remember you don't want the bolts centering the slave you want the trans lil to center it. With only .120" being usable I think a .090 washer is the thickest I can go. I just re measured everything and I have .43 clearance. I'll add that spacer get it down to .34 clearance. Also my hieght at full extent will be 3.64" compared to my factory 3.38" so in theory I should be good.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back