Ticking noise?

EMT/SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a ticking noise in the engine since I bought it. It's not a tap or a knock but just a soft little tick. I think I seen a thread on this a while back. Heard it was normal for our engines. Just curious if I need to be concerned.
Oil is fine. Just changed it 200 miles ago and all gauges are within normal limits. TIA

EMT/SRT said:
I've had a ticking noise in the engine since I bought it. It's not a tap or a knock but just a soft little tick. I think I seen a thread on this a while back. Heard it was normal for our engines. Just curious if I need to be concerned.
Oil is fine. Just changed it 200 miles ago and all gauges are within normal limits. TIA
no need to worry mine has done it since I bought it two years ago,the noise is normal.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Thanks! That makes me feel better. Maybe it was just b/c I turned my radio down for once.

EMT/SRT said:
Thanks! That makes me feel better. Maybe it was just b/c I turned my radio down for once.
That was your first mistake,the rules say do not turn down the radio.:p :p :p :p :p :p

I quit worrying along time ago.Just keep up with your oil changes.These babies make alot of noise!!!

Yep.. nothings wrong.. mine is quiet at times.. (when cold), and noisy when its hot... these engines just simply have noisy valve trains.

I had a discussion with Boomer about this, and, he told me it was the valve train..he also mentioned a mod that would solve that tick, AND, put more power to the ground: roller rockers!

EMT/SRT said:

UPS truck:D

milkmanedi said:
I had a discussion with Boomer about this, and, he told me it was the valve train..he also mentioned a mod that would solve that tick, AND, put more power to the ground: roller rockers!

My Viper makes the same noise as the truck, however I don't think roller rockers will fix it. I've got RR's on the Viper and it still sounds exactly the same.

--wes

If you switch to a heavier oil it will reduce the noise some. The loud valvetrain always makes me nervous. I like to be able to tell if something is a miss by the sound of the motor.

Its your engine about to blow up...its a ticking time bomb...:D

Just kidding...both my Viper engines tick, tick tick.

Nature of the beast! :eek: :D

The noise is valve train.
If you go to 15W x 50 oil it will all but eliminate the valvetrain noises, hot and cold.
The motors are noisey beacuse Dodge uses a very high/fast bleed off lifter. The factory lifter is similar to a Rhodes lifter. It is done to make the engine idle a little smoother and cleaner, emissions wise. This is great in theory but seldom works as well as the engineers say it will. I have used high bleed lifters in a few motors I built, and eventually took them out and installed a low bleed racing hydraulic lifter. Better overall performance. And before you ask, ("where can I get a different set of lifters for my motor"?) there are no low bleed replacemants available.

Shaft roller rockers will not make any more HP in a Gen 3 Viper motor than stock rockers.
Gen 3 motors have a 1.7to1 ratio to start with, where previous generation Viper motors had a smaller ratio which allowed for upgrading the rockers to a higher ratio with a corresponding HP increase. Shaft rockers do maintain a better geometry and will help to make the valve train last longer. The roller tips on the rockers keep the valve stem from being side loaded and keeps valve guide wear down.

FSTJACK said:
If you go to 15W x 50 oil it will all but eliminate the valvetrain noises, hot and cold.
The motors are noisey beacuse Dodge uses a very high/fast bleed off lifter. The factory lifter is similar to a Rhodes lifter. It is done to make the engine idle a little smoother and cleaner, emissions wise. This is great in theory but seldom works as well as the engineers say it will. I have used high bleed lifters in a few motors I built, and eventually took them out and installed a low bleed racing hydraulic lifter. Better overall performance. And before you ask, ("where can I get a different set of lifters for my motor"?) there are no low bleed replacemants available.

Shaft roller rockers will not make any more HP in a Gen 3 Viper motor than stock rockers.
Gen 3 motors have a 1.7to1 ratio to start with, where previous generation Viper motors had a smaller ratio which allowed for upgrading the rockers to a higher ratio with a corresponding HP increase. Shaft rockers do maintain a better geometry and will help to make the valve train last longer. The roller tips on the rockers keep the valve stem from being side loaded and keeps valve guide wear down.

Jack That why your the Boss:rock: Good info

FSTJACK said:

Good to hear. Will this oil have any negative effects on this engine? I currently have 0w 40

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back