Timing chain cover

madmanadam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the trick to get this off. oil pan dropped, oil tube out of cover, all bolts removed. must be missing something. I don't want to smack it to hard and break something. are there hidden bolts?

thx, Adam

What is the trick to get this off. oil pan dropped, oil tube out of cover, all bolts removed. must be missing something. I don't want to smack it to hard and break something. are there hidden bolts?

thx, Adam

Ensure you removed each bolt Adam. There are sneaky ones. You also got the ones on bottom I assume? A rubber mallet around the edges and if neccessary a small flat blade screwdriver to get started. You can bet that gasket is hardened and sticking to block well. You'll have fun removing gasket with sane screwdriver and rubber mallet ;)

The seal has it, muscle it off without breaking Shit.

Last edited:
Likely it ^^^
Like I said, you'll likely have to chisel out the old gasket from the cover. It's the only one Ive seen get so hard and brittle :(
Usually wont come out in 1000 pieces, much less 1 piece. :rock:

Ironically I often have guys break our valve covers taking them off when the miss a bolt and "Think" it's the gasket holding it on and pry on it. :(:puke:

Came off in one piece. They used some type of gasket sealer, pertex? Cam out, next step.

The engine has 37000 miles on it that I know of. There is alot of things on this truck that seam not right. Oh well.
I had also noticed that the dampener was never key'd and it loooks that it has spun a little, some markings on the crank nose.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back