Tire Life! This Could Save One Of Our Lives!

Huh did not know.

Now i do. Gunnah go check my NEW tires n see how Old they are......

Jeesus my tires i just got less than a year ago are actually.....

4 years old.

Holy crap. And these were from the Tire Rack Warehouse.

Looks like im going to have to use them up faster than i want.

Hehe

Thanks for the info.

SHU

Last edited:
Well, hmmmm. I would think an old tire would show signs of degeneration if the rubber was drying out. On the other hand, maybe structural integrity suffers long before there are visible signs. Might be nice to have some actual science on this one. In the meantime I'll sure be checking my tires!!!

Thanks for the food for thought and for thinking of everyone's safety!:)

Well it looks like I will be Keeping my 22"s. Since they have only been in mass production for maybe 5yrs and small scale. My Yokos are 08 and the Pirrellis are 06.

I've known about the week/year thing for a while and I always check that when I buy a new tire!

Interesting video. I would also think that not only age of a tire would affect its longevity. Vehicles that are exposed to extreme cold and hot temperatures affect rubber as well. What about driving habits? There are so many variables that can affect rubber.

They say not to use condoms that are too old as well. Look at rubber bands that site around for a few years. Bushings and seals on vehicles also have rubber components.

No doubt, the longer tires site, the more chance that you could experience a problem. The video also shows treads on the side of the road but I think that is misleading because truckers all have those retreads. That kind of stuff should be more investigated.

This was a very interesting video and definitly a wakeup call for most including myself who will now go out and examine his tires forthwith! I think it also pertains to this forum since we have a certain amount of "Garage queen " trucks which sit idle under blankets never being driven. I know a few people around my 'hood with o4 trucks who never drive them except for a few high speed passes on the weekends. They should be informed about their " new" 6 year old tires and the possible outcomes. Good post BTW!

Last edited:
I do know that the RV industry sortah know about this.

The RV guys rarely use up the tread on a tire before replacing them. If you notice they almost all have tire covers. To keep the sun and elements from deteriorating them quickly.

My pops bought a RV and found out the hard way. $3K for new tires. And the used tires were only 15K miles old and had great tread on them.

SHU

nice find, i never knew about there was a date on the tire. I got to check my tires when my truck comes back from the shop

For those that doubt it, it's true.

There was a family in a van that was killed in an accident when one of their "new" tires failed. Investigation found that the "new" tires were 7+ years old if I remember right.

Tires can deteriorate to the point of being dangerous without any visible indications.

Costs nothing to check the date, so be safe and do it.

Thanks Ronnie for posting this information.:rock:

looks like abc is hyping something that is nothing again. notice how all the cars in that warehouse are ford's? i bet thats from the firestone recall. furthermore...
under inflated tires will heat up and blow more quickly than an OLD tire.

i had bought a truck with origional tires on it, it was a 1983 nissan/datsun. the tread came off. no big deal, same as a flat tire. i have had blowout before as well. no big deal. and the scraps on the highway are from trucks... big trucks... and 90% of thoes are recaps from the trailer tires.

scoobert said:
looks like abc is hyping something that is nothing again. notice how all the cars in that warehouse are ford's? i bet thats from the firestone recall. furthermore...
under inflated tires will heat up and blow more quickly than an OLD tire.

i had bought a truck with origional tires on it, it was a 1983 nissan/datsun. the tread came off. no big deal, same as a flat tire. i have had blowout before as well. no big deal. and the scraps on the highway are from trucks... big trucks... and 90% of thoes are recaps from the trailer tires.
The you evidently have seen a tire rip to shit. Ever seen a dry rotted tire? If you know how it looks on the outside imagine how it looks just beneath the tread. ;)

GADodgetech said:
The you evidently have seen a tire rip to shit. Ever seen a dry rotted tire? If you know how it looks on the outside imagine how it looks just beneath the tread. ;)
scoobert pisses me off so bad he is one of those flaming homosexuals that knows everything!!!!!!!! god i wouldnt mind ....never mind.....;)

great video ronnie ,,, oh and just checked my daughters 02 cherokee and the 2 front tires are 5 yrs old and after really looking close the are dry rotted to hell .... suv s are more likely to roll over after tire failure than cars hence the ford explorers were plentiful at that time.... anyway thanks again ronnie for the heads up bro !!!!!

505'sFastestViper. said:
scoobert pisses me off so bad he is one of those flaming homosexuals that knows everything!!!!!!!! god i wouldnt mind ....never mind.....;)

Put yourself at ease and scoobert on ignore.....

You'll be glad you did........

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back