tire question

1sicponi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have 5000 miles on original tires. No cracks and plenty of tread. Is it time for new ones?
Original battery. Have kept a 1 amp float charger on it since new when not in use. Still reads 12.4 on a battery tester. Should I change it?
thanks bobbymac

If the battery is good its good. The tires on the other hand are probably a lot harder than they were originally. The rubber dries and hardens. I guess if they're not dry rotted, and your not really using them as a performance tire (in which I'm assuming your not, seeing as you have only 5K on a 7 year old truck) you should be fine. Or you could look at it as a lot of really smoky burnouts and give yourself a really good reason to have to buy new tires! :rock:

Yep, our trucks are made to run fast and hard. You always need the best rubber (read insurance) between you and the road. I drive my truck way too fast to trust old tires. Tires that old are weak even if you can't see cracks. Replace now if you intend to drive, just not worth the risk. Battery----I wouldn't replace till it give problems. My 2 pennies worth.

it's recommended that you toss tires that are 6 years old or more. a blow out can really ruin your day.

don't click on that video!!!! No, you didn't have a blowout, your forgot to install your driver mod.

:hahaha: It's ok to watch it's funny. Your tries are probably fine.
But a burnout video is required per forum rules, before new tires.

The original tires are dangerous.... better send them to me so I can properly dispose of them for you. :D

Just to give you an idea, in 2011 I bought my truck with 14k miles on it. At that time the tires were so hard that I could break them loose at any speed in second gear (up to 65ish mph). There is a section of sweeping road here where I could even break them loose half way through 3rd. I swapped to new tires and now I can dump the clutch at 2500 rpm and hook up well.

I would run the battery until it stopped working.

Since I closer to you then caveman is, I'd be pleased to take them off your hands..:D
Had a 9 year old battery in my Lightning and swapped it out just for piece of mind. If you don't mind the inconvenience of possible battery failure at any time, then roll with it for now. Even newer batteries are susceptible to failure.

Since I closer to you then caveman is, I'd be pleased to take them off your hands..:D
Had a 9 year old battery in my Lightning and swapped it out just for piece of mind. If you don't mind the inconvenience of possible battery failure at any time, then roll with it for now. Even newer batteries are susceptible to failure.
Get in line, Lightning boy. :D Distance is of no consequence, because I will pay shipping.

I definitely replace the tires, get another 22" rim & use them for spares. Of course practise burnouts always a good option! Battery good until it pukes, sounds stupid but I have had them last 8-9 yes, had them last 2 yes, crap shoot.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll keep the battery awhile.
Have left a few stretches but not into those burnouts. Besides aren't they to heat the tires up before a drag race. Never saw anyone do it at the stop light 0 to 60 runs. lol
Been thinking of replacing the tires with firestone destinations. Any srt's out there use this tire? bobbymac

Wrote a quick replay. Haven't a clue where it went. Sorry. bobbymac

tires

Just trying again. Back to tires. Read somewhere on this sight to try bfg kdw's. Question - which ones?
Don't drive in the rain or snow. In the winter I do not even take it out when roads still have salt on them. But really - were the bfg kdw's refuring to the t/a kdw-2 kind? bobbymac

You're right to loose the OEM tires. They are dangerously bad.
I also drove them on my truck in the beginning but the tires being 6 years old they didn't gave my confidence.
So i decided to kill my wallet and put four new dunlop tires the truck.
Well i can assure you that the confidence thing with the old tires was right.
Now i finally can enjoy a good acceleration without loosing the power in smoke and even in rain it sticks to the road like glue.
It's really not worth risking the whole truck just for a set of rubber.

Checkout the BFG KDWs. Great tire, super grip on wet or dry road, quiet, good ride. Currently have NITTO 420s, also great tire. Many good tires to choose from, basically pick one for your driving style, budget, etc. Happy drivin..

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll keep the battery awhile.
Have left a few stretches but not into those burnouts. Besides aren't they to heat the tires up before a drag race. Never saw anyone do it at the stop light 0 to 60 runs. lol
Been thinking of replacing the tires with firestone destinations. Any srt's out there use this tire? bobbymac

I am using the Firestones, just put them on a couple months ago, and I think they are a pretty good tire. They have pretty good grip. You have to run them around 35 psi. At 38 psi they are like basketballs. 32 psi a little sluggish in turns. They bite real good from a dig. I have had it floored from a stop and then made a left or right turn and they stick right on through. Could never do that with the stockers or the Conti's I had on after the stockers wore out.

As for the battery, if it still good, keep it. I just replaced mine because I kept getting excessive corrosion on the negative terminal resulting in a no start until the corrosion was cleaned (was getting to be a monthly occurrence). I may have done that for nothing because the bottom of the negative terminal connector corroded away. However, I believe the battery was possibly venting gas making it corrode in the first place. Anyway, it was the original battery and after 8 years that battery didn't owe me anything so I replaced it. Have to get a factory terminal connector because the garbage I got from Pep Boys is crap.

tires

Thanks for the info. Looking towards the firestones for replacements. The BFG's look coowel but a little to radical for me. Always use a little less tire pressure then recommended by the manufacturer anyway.

Think you guys that want the old ones are joking. Unless of course there is some kind of 500 dollar re cycling rebate on them?
Still have my original 88 t bird T/C tires in the cellar. Take up too much room. You want me to send you those to? LOL bobbymac

Thanks for the info. Looking towards the firestones for replacements. The BFG's look coowel but a little to radical for me. Always use a little less tire pressure then recommended by the manufacturer anyway.

Think you guys that want the old ones are joking. Unless of course there is some kind of 500 dollar re cycling rebate on them?
Still have my original 88 t bird T/C tires in the cellar. Take up too much room. You want me to send you those to? LOL bobbymac

I don't think they are joking, 22" tires to burn off don't come around everyday. At least you know you will have donated to a great burnout video when it's posted. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back