tires are dry rotted?

xtreme2424

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys after doing a real good cleaning of the truck today I noticed the tires are dry rotting pretty bad in btween the treads. The truck sat for over a year at the plant and then on dealers lot for another 4 to 6 months. I have 746 miles on the clock. Do you think the dealer would do anything about this?
I will try to get a pick for reference. Input needed here thanks. :dontknow:

xtreme2424 said:
Well guys after doing a real good cleaning of the truck today I noticed the tires are dry rotting pretty bad in btween the treads. The truck sat for over a year at the plant and then on dealers lot for another 4 to 6 months. I have 746 miles on the clock. Do you think the dealer would do anything about this?
I will try to get a pick for reference. Input needed here thanks. :dontknow:

Between the dealership and tire manufacturer, there should be no issue about warranty. Someone just has to be willing to site a safety issue with the condition of the tires, and it ought to be taken care of without fuss.

I would try my hardest to get new ones under warranty, and even harder to get something other than Pirellis

whats wrong with the perellis ---mine spin and make a lot of smoke----WARRENTY fight for it ---it's a saftey issue

My 05 sat on the lot for over a year and I made them replace the tires and all the fluids under warranty. The service manager was really cool about it, he knew that they should be replaced if for nothing else than possible flat spots. Plus I got Continental tires, much better than the Pirelli's imo.

This is going to depend on the dealer. I know a couple others that had this issue and were told to pack sand.:(

I took mine back at 900 and had them replace the tires. And made them give me the old ones. They messed up one bead, on purpose...............

the bad thing about this is that its not the dealers, nor manufacture fault that the tires are bad and its not Pirellis fault that the truck sat for that long on the dealers lot. so i bet in this case you will get alot of pointing of the fingres. most if not all of us have had the same vibration issues and very few if any have been covered.

my sugestion is to go back to the dealer you bought it from (im hoping you just bought it) and see what can be done there.

good luck

I had the same issue my truck was purchased new in Jan 07 and it was an 05 so it had been on the lot awhile. I can tell you what happens in this cases. Dodge will not warranty them since it’s not their issue. They will tell you to go to an authorized Pirelli dealer, Discount tire was the closest. I have always bought all my tires from the same store and had just bought an $800 set of Pirellis for the wife’s Tahoe. I figured I would go hit the manager up since I had talked to him when I bought my wife’s tires. He called his Pirelli rep and set up a time for us to meet. He took the info off the tires and got the manufacture date. The Pirelli rep told me that he would give me credit towards new tires but not replace them. He said that the cracks aren’t an issue when the are on the tread. He also said that he wouldn’t hesitate to give me new tires if it was on the sidewall. So in a nutshell good luck.

I have an appointment Tuesday morning at the dealer. Wish me luck.

Hey guys, I drove my new/used 06 Reg. cab with 4k miles to Daytona Beach from Sarasota today and had some pretty significant vibration during the trip. I thought the tires were just flat spotted after the truck had set on the used car dealers lot for over 60 days but the vibration didnt let up even after the 200 mile trip. Im starting to think that the Pirellis are too damn high maint. and tempermental.

Im gonna take the truck to my dealer in VA next week to get the factory offered free truck alignment and also have the tires rebalanced to maybe see if either one of those causing the problem/vibration. Probably wont but atleast it will be a cost covered by the dealer/manufacturer.

Does anyone have any input on getting rid of some of the vibration on a practically new truck. Its a shame to have to replace the pirellis, they are practically brand new. Thanks

VAViperPower said:
Hey guys, I drove my new/used 06 Reg. cab with 4k miles to Daytona Beach from Sarasota today and had some pretty significant vibration during the trip. I thought the tires were just flat spotted after the truck had set on the used car dealers lot for over 60 days but the vibration didnt let up even after the 200 mile trip. Im starting to think that the Pirellis are too damn high maint. and tempermental.

Im gonna take the truck to my dealer in VA next week to get the factory offered free truck alignment and also have the tires rebalanced to maybe see if either one of those causing the problem/vibration. Probably wont but atleast it will be a cost covered by the dealer/manufacturer.

Does anyone have any input on getting rid of some of the vibration on a practically new truck. Its a shame to have to replace the pirellis, they are practically brand new. Thanks

Some members had lots of problems with the OEM tires, others, like myself had no issues at all. It appears to be a crap shoot.

I just replaced the OEM's with Toyo Proxies and they are okay, but I'm waiting for the rainy season to start up again before I make my final determination. The one day we did have a good rain, it was like driving on ice with them. I honestly could not take off from a stop without spinning them.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back