Tires for racing / handling

blwn SSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking for options for the best 305/40/22 tire for a track setup (cornering and drag) . i know you guys get this size stock so i figured it would be a good place to get some feedback even though i dont have a 10 banger.

looking at the bfg kdw in this size as i know they are soft and look great. just wanted some feedback on people with experience.

nitto also has a decent tire 420s and a price but they dont sem quite as soft as the bfg.

costs and tread life dont matter to me as long as these tires stick. I would go to a 20 rim but i have some light 22's and big brakes .

They need to hook up decent as well off the line for a 1/4 mile and 0-60 since im competing in a event where wheel changes arent allowed. i have 18" wheels with 305/45/18 mt et street for the strip (changing brakes for that sucks but it is what it is )

love the BFG,s:rock::rock:

great straight line or the twisty bits. wet traction is greatly improved:rock::burnout:

& the price is comin down also. right after i bought mine:(:marchmellow:

Last edited:
right on guys , keep the feedback coming . ive got some not so great review from others with here say experience but i want someone that has driven them and compared them in this size to a quality tire in the same size.

im assuming you guys had pirelli's before ?if not what else have you had to compare them too?

i wish nitto had the nt01 in this size as it would be my first choice as a competition tire.

went from Pirellis, to the General Grabbers, a P.O.S. tire & then the BFG's.

just about all were a step up.

i'm also stickler for rotatin & tire pressure. got bout 35,000 on the Generals & over 20,000 on the BFG's & they should be good till this fall

i'm also stickler for rotatin & tire pressure. got bout 35,000 on the Generals & over 20,000 on the BFG's & they should be good till this fall

Almost same story here......first mod to the Vette I bought a few weeks ago were the BFGs....

I have the conti's as of right now, I love them, 2 years they have been on the truck and still look new.Tread wear is awesome

I was looking into the nitto 420's also.

But I might just buy 4 new conti's.

Yup. I bought the general grabbers on some reviews from others and I hate them. I'm gonna get the bfg's next if I can sell my generals.

i've got the yokohama prada spec-x and i can't complain, where the toyo's and OEM tires would do rolling burn outs the yokohamas hook up. but i'd go with the BFG's if it was a competition:rock:

the bfg's are the stickiest you can get in a 22...

the oem's are actually good...IF YOU DRIVE YOUR TRUCK A LOT...like i do...

the conti's were fantastic...but quit making them in our size...

i just had a set of toyo proxes installed...so far i like them...but i'd like to put them through some paces for a bit to see how they really work...

I've had the Toyo's on another rig and on dry roads a great tire. Not the best in the rain. And we get rain in Oregon.

anyone compare them with toyo proxes ?

any of you really push your trucks hard around the corners?

glad to hear the kdw helped traction though . thats awesome.

I read that the BFG's can't be used on a cars/trucks where weather gets near freezing.

that sucks for me.

I read that the BFG's can't be used on a cars/trucks where weather gets near freezing.

that sucks for me.

they did just fine for me last 2 snows & ice we had. even made it a couple of hills that no one else could
:rock::rock::rock:

they did just fine for me last 2 snows & ice we had. even made it a couple of hills that no one else could
:rock::rock::rock:

Really ?

I have been looking into these & the nittos.

But these might be better for traction.

I found the Perelli to be more of a drifting tire. It was very predictable and controlled, but not a sticky tire by any stretch. I never could really get the Perellis to hook at the strip.

From the Perellis I went to the General Grabber H speed rated. The compound was much stickier and the sidewalls comparatively sticky which gave pretty good straight line traction but made the truck nearly uncontrollable in the turns and at higher speed (over 80). At the drag strip, I make it a point to not try to heat street tires but found that after a slight hazing and tire pressure on the low side, I could dump the clutch around 4K and snatch the truck off of the line (no VHT, etc).

Next I went to the Continentals. While I haven't had these to the drag strip, the seat of the pants feel is that when they're new, out of the hole is close to the Grabbers while being far more stable at high speed (around 150). However, as wear approaches the wear indicators, they start to behave like a new Perelli (traction drops off sharply). Cornering performance surpasses that of the Perelli (again, seat of the pants...no real numbers). I've noticed a squeal when pressed hard into turns that I've not previously noticed with other tires.

I've heard good things about the Nittos for the strip and good things about the BFGs for the track. I'm anxious to try both.

Running such a low profile tire at the track on a vehicle capable of running mid 10s, it's going to be hard to hook up coming out of the hole at the strip. Don't forget your track bite. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back