Tires rubbing?

initforthelulz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has been out of town for about month with my truck, and met up with us at our vacation spot. My wife AND my truck, I was stoked. Hopped in, turned the key and hit the lil red angry button and started going...

Right away I noticed a weird noise coming from the front end. It sounds as if a tire is rubbing, but I'm not getting any crazy vibration or pulling. I checked the tires and don't see any evidence of rubbing around the inner sidewalls. Everything drives and steers fine, just the noise. It increases with speed and almost has the same type of hum that you hear on mud tires except it's not as loud and I don't hear it from the outside.

A little over a month ago I replaced the upper A-arms, but was unable to replace the lower ball joints because I didn't plan for the bracket to be riveted on and I couldn't get the alignment done on time before my wife had to leave. It's bad enough to have 2 bad ball joints and even worse to rolling around with a bad alignment, but unfortunately we didn't have much of an option.

I now have a 6 hour drive with my truck fully loaded with kids and luggage before I'll get to jack it up and look at it.

I'd appreciate any ideas you guys might have of what to check out. I've got one video of what it sounds like on the highway doing about 60 mph.

Last edited:
check your wheel bearings. they don't have much grease in them

What they said :(
Be careful!! It's easy to change and any parts store should have it in stock. It can seize and wheel can go separately from truck :(
Usually while you're barely going around a corner or slight turn on highway it will be quiet till you're straight again.
Regardless it sounds just like a wheel bearing bro.

That was one guess I had, but I've never had any wheel bearings go bad on any previous vehicle so this was a new sound.

Thanks for the info, now deciding on what to do since I'm at a condo in the mountains... I could try to take it to a shop in town. Any ideas on what to expect for labor?

If I was paying attention, I could have replaced them when I was doing the ball joints.

Alldata book time is .8 of an hour. Labor should be well under $100 depending on what the going rate is in the area you are currently in.

Dealer here wants:

Labor: $180 (2 hrs)
Parts: $424 (2 wheel hubs)

Is it possible to just service the bearings? Or does the whole Hub assembly have to be replaced. I don't have my laptop with service manual to look it up.

Thanks!

Dealer here wants:

Labor: $180 (2 hrs)
Parts: $424 (2 wheel hubs)

Is it possible to just service the bearings? Or does the whole Hub assembly have to be replaced. I don't have my laptop with service manual to look it up.

Thanks!

Think the wheel hubs are like $140 at autozone.
Labor is fair as they get :(

It's a hub assembly with sealed bearings :(

initforthelulz, where are you at right now?

but seriously... that's hands down a wheel bearing... my wife's jeep just did this a few months ago...

well... i guess i'll say that "sounds" like a wheel bearing...

initforthelulz, where are you at right now?

Got ahold of a local shop and Adavance Auto. Ordering the parts online brings them to a little over $100 a piece, and the shop only wants $60 for labor.

We're in McGaheysville, VA 22840

Got ahold of a local shop and Adavance Auto. Ordering the parts online brings them to a little over $100 a piece, and the shop only wants $60 for labor.

We're in McGaheysville, VA 22840

I just saw you were from NJ and didn't know if you were possibly in PA and I could have tried to help you work something out, but it sounds like you have it handled. Carry on.... :D

I just saw you were from NJ and didn't know if you were possibly in PA and I could have tried to help you work something out, but it sounds like you have it handled. Carry on.... :D

Thanks anyways though!

My trucks been making that same noise after my wife drove it, we cant let the wives drive our trucks.but seriusly can you let me know if the bearing corrects that noise mine also cant be heard from the outside just in the cab like a off road tire sound ,louder with speed. thanks it would be much appreiciated.

Wheel bearing it is just replaced my driver side had play noise gone. never heard a bearing make that type of noise before the ones i replaced had a metal squel sound.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back