Top Speed gain with Ported Intake

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little side note on the speed gain with the ported intake. Comparing my previous best run with the stock intake to my new best with the ported intake from Form and Function Performance, the difference in speed was quite noticeable. Previous best was [email protected] and I was doing 90.32 at the 1/8th for a speed difference of 20.23 MPH over the last 1/8th mile. My new record is 12.354 @ 113.334 and I was doing 89.364 at the 1/8th. I pulled 23.860 MPH more over the last 1/8th mile....a gain of 3.63 MPH just in the last 1/8th mile. I feel that this is a real gain!!!! Thanks again FFPerformace.com:rock:

Last edited:
You are saying that you only did about 70MPH in the 1/8 before...not sure if I am following you..:confused: ......what other mods do you have?

Does FFPerformance port polished intake manifolds? What other changes are required with a ported intake?

was the temp about the same on both passes? on my 12.38 pass my 1/8 mph was 88.13 and the 1/4 mph was 111.36 a diff. of 23.23mph i'm not sure what your getting at??:dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
You are saying that you only did about 70MPH in the 1/8 before...not sure if I am following you..:confused: ......what other mods do you have?

???What??? where do you get 70 ? I was doing 90.32 in the 1/8th stock and 89.364 with the ported intake. The speed increased from 90.32 to 110.55 over the last 1/8th mile with the stock intake for a net increase of 20.23 mph.
With the new ported intake I was doing 89.364 MPH at the 1/8th mile and finished with a speed of 113.224 MPH for a net gain of 23.86 MPH over the last 1/8th mile. The difference in gain between the two runs was 3.63MPH ( 23.86-20.23=3.63) . That shows some top end horsepower and torque.

Basically I have stock short block, stock heads and stock cam. I have long tube headers, true dual catless Borla exhaust , a 170 therm , a Volant ram air and a DC Performance tune and now a Ported intake By Form and Function Performance with the stock factory throttle body.

Last edited:
ARRESTmeRed04 said:
was the temp about the same on both passes? on my 12.38 pass my 1/8 mph was 88.13 and the 1/4 mph was 111.36 a diff. of 23.23mph i'm not sure what your getting at??:dontknow:
Maybe 10 degrees cooler I'm guessing. It was 63 degrees yesterday in Sacramento. I was just kind of wondering outloud. That interesting that your top end gain is similar. Different tracks, different air, different gears...your 4.10 with 26" tires and my 4.56 with 29.5" tires....who can say, its all good and we're having fun!

Last edited:
Trainman said:
???What??? where do you get 70 ? I was doing 90.32 in the 1/8th stock and 89.364 with the ported intake. The speed increased from 90.32 to 110.55 over the last 1/8th mile with the stock intake for a net increase of 20.23 mph.
With the new ported intake I was doing 89.364 MPH at the 1/8th mile and finished with a speed of 113.224 MPH for a net gain of 23.86 MPH over the last 1/8th mile. The difference in gain between the two runs was 3.63MPH ( 23.86-20.23=3.63) . That shows some top end horsepower and torque.

Basically I have stock short block, stock heads and stock cam. I have long tube headers, true dual catless Borla exhaust , a 170 therm , a Vloant ram air and a DC Performance tune and now a Ported intake By Form and Function Performance with the stock factory throttle body.

I see what you are saying now...just confused me which is easy to do..;) ..........congrats on the run..great times for the mod level..

Venom Power said:
Does FFPerformance port polished intake manifolds? What other changes are required with a ported intake?

No other changes are required..my tune did not change on a stock motor with headers. DC Performance installed what is called a diffuser to divide the air flow just behind the throttle body inside the intake. Please refer to the photos and video in the " Ported Intake Results" posting.

Trainman said:
No other changes are required..my tune did not change on a stock motor with headers. DC Performance installed what is called a diffuser to divide the air flow just behind the throttle body inside the intake. Please refer to the photos and video in the " Ported Intake Results" posting.

Ahh good. I have those Basannis and Justin's CAI to install along with a polished intake. I figured I would send the intake to them to be ported before it's put on while the valve covers and CAI tube is sent back to Justin for recoating... February is going to be a busy month for performance and visual upgrades..

did you do a flow test on a stock intake compared to your moded intake ,,,i would like to see the diff on a flow tester ,,,:confused:

No , no flow test was done...this was just an idea I wanted to try, figuring not much of a gain on a stock motor but of greater benefit when I might go to striker heads and a bigger cam ,also forged rods and pistons and a little more compression

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
did you do a flow test on a stock intake compared to your moded intake ,,,i would like to see the diff on a flow tester ,,,:confused:

DC Performance and I will be continuing testing and because the net power on the dyno wasn't what was expected (although the 'ram' effect is obvious in trainman's results at the track) we will be seeking out a more robust platform to test on. We haven't solidified anything yet, but think about a 900+whp setup, that is prone to heatsoak, and performing the same test on it as with trainman's truck. I would hope for +35-40whp gains but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh when this test does get into my hands rest assured I will be flowing them before and after to see what they max out at. :D

Back