Tour de France winner flunks drug test

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
Floyd Landis' stunning Tour de France victory just four days earlier was thrown into question Thursday when his team said he tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race.

The Phonak team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test. If Landis is found guilty of doping, he could be stripped of the Tour title, and Spain's Oscar Pereiro would become champion.

It wasn't immediately known when the backup sample will be tested.

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the International Cycling Union (UCI) on Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

Efforts to reach Landis were not immediately successful.

The 30-year-old Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third in the overall standings. He regained the leader's yellow jersey two days later.

Landis rode the Tour with a degenerative hip condition that he has said will require surgery in the coming weeks or months.

Arlene Landis, his mother, said Thursday that she wouldn't blame her son if he was taking medication to treat the pain in his injured hip, but "if it's something worse than that, then he doesn't deserve to win."

"I didn't talk to him since that hit the fan, but I'm keeping things even keel until I know what the facts are," she told The Associated Press in a phone interview from her home in Farmersville, Pennsylvania. "I know that this is a temptation to every rider but I'm not going to jump to conclusions ... It disappoints me."

The Phonak statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

Phonak said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

Phonak said Landis has been suspended and that he will be fired if the second sample confirms the initial finding.

USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said that organization could not comment on Landis.

"Because it's an anti-doping matter, it's USA Cycling's policy not to comment on that subject out of respect for the process and Floyd's rights," Lee said. "Right now, we have to let the process proceed and we can't comment on it."

Carla O'Connell, publications and communications director for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said: "I'll make this very brief: No comment."

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said Landis was notified of the test Wednesday morning. He said the cycling body doesn't require analysis of the "B" sample, but that Landis requested it.

"We are confident in the first (test)," Carpani said. "For us, the first one is already good."

Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid on WADA's list of banned substances, and its use can be punished by a two-year ban.

Landis wrapped up his Tour de France win on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping whispers and allegations, won the previous seven. Armstrong never has tested positive for drugs and vehemently has denied doping.

On Thursday, Armstrong was riding in RAGBRAI, an annual bike ride across Iowa that attracts thousands of riders.

At the first break in Sully, Iowa, about 50 miles southeast of Des Moines, Armstrong had little to say at the Coffee Cup Cafe, where he grabbed a slice of coconut cream pie and a big glass of ice water.

When asked about Landis, Armstrong told The Associated Press: "I'm not here to talk about that."

Landis' inspiring Tour ride reminded many of fellow American Tyler Hamilton's gritty 2003 performance. Hamilton, riding for team CSC, broke his collarbone on the first day of the Tour but rode on, despite the pain, and finished fourth overall.

But, a year later, Hamilton, then riding for Phonak, tested positive for blood doping at a Spanish race and now is serving a two-year ban. He has denied blood doping.

Speculation that Landis had tested positive spread earlier Thursday after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders - including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso - were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe.

World Anti-Doping Agency chief Dick Pound, speaking before Landis was confirmed as the rider with the positive test, said it was amazing any cyclist would risk doping after the scandals that rocked the Tour before the start.

"Despite all the fuss prior to the race with all these riders identified and withdrawn, you still have people in that race quite willing and prepared to cheat," he told the AP by phone from Montreal. "That's a problem for cycling."

The French pulling there typical crybaby shit!!

I do not know if Floyd has taken any performance enhancing drugs, but I do know that the French can't take it that another American has won the tour!!!

They tried the same shit with Lance!!!

I remember in 2005 the French testers found some banned items in Lance's hotel room:
- Soap
- Deodorant
- Shampoo
Those almost got him kicked out of the TDF!

Gee......How I wish you had posted this in the offensive section....

I feel so out of ammo without the F word.........

But, as things progress, I'll try to muttle along without it.....

Lynette ain't gonna like this.....no...not one little bit.....

SD

The French thought they were in the clear when Lance retired. Landis pulls out the win and they can't stand it. Gotta make you wonder
scratchchin.gif

Yes indeed,

Frog bashing has been a regular avocation for US yanks .....

....and certainly NOT without some just cause......

This should prove interesting.....

SD

Silent D said:
Yes indeed,

Frog bashing has been a regular avocation for US yanks .....

....and certainly NOT without some just cause......

This should prove interesting.....

SD

Nuke the F'ing French.:mad:

Personally I getting a little tired of the Tour De France....

Love the racing, the competition, the team work....

But you get a month of the good stuff and 11 month of the French.....

We need a whole new governing counsel...maybe the Irish :dontknow:

And a whole new independant drug teat group...thinking the Columbians, they know drugs :D

But what we have isn't working, there process is so full of holes, theres no telling what happens to a sample once its turned over to these clowns

Well they have finally figured out what happened!! Thay were comparing an American male Testosterone level with the the standard level for a male frenchman!! No wonder it was high!!!:D :D

Four days after his triumphant ride down the Champs-Elysees, Tour de France champion Floyd Landis found himself embroiled in a fight to clear his name.

The Murrieta resident denied using performance-enhancing drugs during the race, though he conceded his career could be forever tainted by test results showing an unusually high amount of testosterone in his system. If a second test that could come as early as today provides the same outcome, he could be stripped of his Tour victory and fired from his team.

"All I'm asking for is that I be given a chance to prove my innocence," Landis said Thursday during a hastily scheduled teleconference from an undisclosed location in Europe.

"Cycling has a way of trying people in the court of public opinion. I can't stop that, but I would like to be presumed innocent until I'm proven guilty since that's how we do things in America."

Asked repeatedly what might have caused the abnormal test results, Landis said he would continue to solicit more opinions from doping experts before he blamed any one thing. He said he's taking medication for a thyroid condition and cortisone shots to alleviate the pain in his degenerative right hip, but his own doctor said those would not be expected to alter his testosterone levels.

Landis had hoped his stirring victory would be the centerpiece of a remarkable career that has taken him from the meandering roads of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country to the pinnacle of his sport. But instead of sharing his inspirational story with talk-show host Jay Leno tonight, Landis said he would continue to search for the elusive explanation to the positive urine test that has thrown his life into chaos.

Even if he does prove his innocence, however, he fears the disgrace of the failed test will follow him the rest of his career.

"From what I've seen on the news, this seems like a bigger story than me winning the Tour," he said. "There's a good possibility I can clear my name, but regardless, I don't know if this will ever go away."

Landis' nightmare began Wednesday when word spread among members of the cycling community that a high-ranking rider had failed a drug test during the Tour. As fans and media speculated about the rider's identity, Landis said he learned it was him after receiving a fax from the International Cycling Union.

The Swiss-based Phonak team suspended him a day later, pending the outcome of the second test.

Stage winners in the Tour de France take urine tests each day, as do the overall race leader and two riders selected randomly. Landis, whose failed test came after his stunning 17th stage comeback July 20, had also been tested earlier in the race.

Dr. Gary Wadler, of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said human error can lead to erroneous test results, but that's extremely rare. Rather, the results of the follow-up test usually confirm those of the first. Still, the Landis camp remained hopeful.

"The fact is that this is just his A-sample," said Temecula's Brent Kay, Landis' doctor. "It's very common in the medical field that if the first test comes back abnormal, you repeat it. Frequently, it's a false positive."

Testosterone does naturally occur in the body, but athletes sometimes use banned synthetic versions of the hormone to help build muscle and shorten recovery time. Cyclists who are caught can be punished by a two-year ban under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations.

Most people have roughly the same amount of testosterone and epitestosterone, another natural hormone, although levels can vary. Landis' tested ratio of the two substances wasn't revealed, but it had to be at least 4:1 to be a violation.

AP photo
Murrieta's Floyd Landis spent Sunday celebrating his Tour de France championship in Paris. Now he is fighting accusations that arose when a drug test revealed high levels of testosterone in his system.

Landis' feel-good victory seemed to be the ideal antidote to a doping scandal that had threatened to overshadow this year's race.

On the eve of the Tour, nine prominent riders were implicated in a doping investigation and barred from competing. Now Landis is the Tour's first champion to fail a drug test.

"It's stunning," said Landis' former teammate and fellow Tour competitor Chris Horner, a four-time Redlands Bike Classic champion. "It's a professional sport so it has its upside and downside, but it seems pretty hard to believe that a guy like Floyd could do that. Hopefully the B-sample comes back negative and his name is cleared."

Second-place finisher Oscar Pereiro of Spain does not relish the prospect of becoming champion via a technicality if Landis isn't cleared.

"Should I win the Tour now it would feel like an academic victory," Pereiro told The Associated Press. "The way to celebrate a win is in Paris, otherwise it's just a bureaucratic win."

This is not the first time prominent American cyclists have faced doping allegations. Tyler Hamilton, a former Phonak rider and U.S. Olympian, is serving a two-year ban for blood doping, the practice of getting transfusions of one's own blood to boost the blood's hemoglobin and oxygen content.

And seven-time Tour champion Lance Armstrong has been unable to escape suspicions of doping, though he has never tested positive.

USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said his organization would not speculate on the impact of the accusations against Landis until the result of the second test is revealed.

Midway through the three-week Tour, Landis revealed that he would be having hip replacement surgery to alleviate excruciating pain that has rendered him unable to walk without a limp. He got permission from Tour officials to take cortisone shots for the pain.

Tour director Christian Prudhomme said they remain committed to eradicating drugs from the sport.

"We will be saddened if, unfortunately, the (backup) test confirms what the first test showed," Prudhomme said in a statement. "It's anger more than anything else. ... We are going to have to make those who haven't understood it yet understand it now."

Blakewilder said:
There would be NO benefit of boosting his testosterone level for a day....
I agree. Only from prolonged use could any benefit be had at all. I bet it was something physiological that happened during the ride. My .02.

Stretch

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back