tps problem

the bowler

Reaction score
ok i had the throttle hang like everyone else did, so i just changed the tps today, but it ended up making the hanging rpms worse. should i try rebooting the computer by disconnecting the battery or am i borked? thanks

I would give the reset a shot. Its not gonna hurt anything.

Check your iac motor and reset possible bad tps.

k ty guys, ill go ahead and try the reset and give it a day. if that doesnt work ill go from there

well i just got done driving the truck after resetting the computer and no dice. gonna go get an iac motor tomorrow. anyone know if its hard to change?

Does your truck have the stock throttle body or maybe the one piece x-metal? They were prone to catching the throttle Plate on the side. Take the intake hose off and check to see if the plates are hanging up

Put some carb cleaner on a shop towel. Open the throttle butterfly with one hand or have someone press the throttle and scrub the edge of the blade and the little lip on the housing that the blade touches when closed. Then take the iac off. Very easy. And scrub the plunger. Do this before you buy something.

as for the tps, it was from duralast if i remember correctly, and my throttle body is still stock

ok took carb cleaner to the butterflys and the iac as well as the iac housing. unfortunately step dad went hulk smash on the poor iac and pulled it apart when he was trying to move it in and out. we got it put back together but now my idle is sitting at 500 pm. is there any sort of adjustment we threw out of whack when he "deconstructed" it with extreme prejudice? thanks

Last edited:
Does the rpmstill hang? Sounds like we are the right track! Except for the beating of the iac!! Lol:D

didnt hang, but every time it idles down it goes to 500 rpm (so far)

He must have 'f'ed it up. The IAC should maintain a constant idle speed. There is a idle screw on the throttle body, that can be adjusted to increase the idle. ALthough if the IAC is working properly the ECU will lower the idle speed as soon as it is increased.

Last edited:
Another thought, you can block off the line leading to the IAC and then use the screw on the throttle body to adjust your idle speed. I did this after my build was done as the factory tune would not let the truck idle with my camshaft.

Or just get a new IAC.....

iac motors are cheap :)

Exactly. I _just_ went through this issue (not hanging idle, but too low of an idle). You won't need to search my thread, b/c you've already diagnosed this issue through some trial and error.

I cleaned my IAC, and didn't break it :), and everything worked great for about a month. Then I started having the issue again, so I just bought a new IAC. No more problems.

yeah he borked it. went out to try it this morning and truck wouldnt idle at all, just went down to 0 rpm. gonna take 3 days to get a new one in since they all seem to be back east.

yeah he borked it. went out to try it this morning and truck wouldnt idle at all, just went down to 0 rpm. gonna take 3 days to get a new one in since they all seem to be back east.

that sucks :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back