TPS sensor FAIL? P0123

04SRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so about a week ago I replaced the TPS sensor because it began to hang a little at idle. It would hang around 1500 rpms while at a stop light and it was really annoying. So I read up a little on the forum and the tps sensor looked to be the culprit. So I swapped them out, just a hot swap no disconnecting the pcm or the battery just a hot swap. Ok so the truck was running fine for about a week. Today on my way to work my truck began to idle erratically and then immediately threw a check engine light. After the light came on the truck began to idle just fine. Im assuming the ECM began to override the sensor and went into default mode... Well while on lunch I went ahead and disconnected the battery, the PCM, the tps sensor and the IAC sensor. Did the whole TPS relearn procedure. Alright so started her up and went for a drive I was very gentle to her and I ended up catching a red light about 2 miles down the road and the truck began to idle erratically again and bam! threw the code again! What else could it be guys??? The wiring doesn't look terrible but there is a bit of a kink on one of the wires. Ill post a picture in a bit. Sorry for the long post!

IAC seem to be a bit of a problem focused on lately! Change it!! disconect the battery this time. and try that

iac for me

yeh thats right it was the iac motor for me i had a nasty cold idle surge, only when it was cold during warm up , :rock:

I installed the original one back on its hanging RPMS again, no check engine light though. Had the sensor replaced under warranty, bought it at O'rielly. Its a BWD brand. Maybe I should just get a dealer part. Ill take my IAC out tomorrow and inspect it. Thanks guys!

Ok so got a new TPS in and cleaned out the IAC valve really well as well as the tb. Did a relearn and seems to be running great. Hopefully the other TPS i bought was just DOA. Anyone else get a little popping while decelerating while the rpms are falling? Other than that it, its a beast!

Yea these trucks do snap,crackle and pop on decel. adds to the growl!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back