TQ for universal joint?

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't find a reference in my list...so I grunted twice...that close enough? Remember I am old and weak.

Replaced both universals (why not both if the drive line is down?) cranked down on the four nuts on the U bolts...anyone use loctite on them? I didn't...I put in joints that have a zerk fitting on the end cap...so I will grease them from time to time and check the u bolt nuts each time...

Prof said:
Can't find a reference in my list...so I grunted twice...that close enough? Remember I am old and weak.

Replaced both universals (why not both if the drive line is down?) cranked down on the four nuts on the U bolts...anyone use loctite on them? I didn't...I put in joints that have a zerk fitting on the end cap...so I will grease them from time to time and check the u bolt nuts each time...

Book says "install new SRT-10 yolk clamp (4) bolts and tighten to 22 ft lbs."

Did you at least break wind ????

Roy,

I used to go through UV joints all the time in my 68 Camaro SS. I was not sure why it was always happening until I called a local shop that deals with drive shafts. He told me I probably had a kink in the shaft and that it needed to be replaced with a new one or find a used one, and have it weighted and balanced.
They found one for me and never had a UV joint problem again. They said a rock or even when it dropped initially, it would have been kinked. Not sure if that info helps you but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks Scott...this is the first one to go (40k plus)...got it back in last night, but I have a sever vibration...so I need to drop it again and see if I have done something wrong...

Thanks Denise...I guess 22 lbs is about two small bubbles, I may have them too tight, and will try loosening them to get the vibration out.

I had vibration as well. I'd say have the shaft weighted and balanced as a drive shaft shop. Being off balance is what destroyed my U joints. Mine wasn't severe but a slight shimmy. I kept extras with me in car back then. :)

The knuckle on the rear could also be off. It's the only possible reasons for it if under normal drivng this is occurring. Get it on lift and put it in gear and see what it looks like spinning.

I plan on taking the u-bolts off this morning...and rotating the differential knuckle 180 degrees just to see if it is a wear issue or an angle problem...it has not had any kind of shudder before...if that doesn't work to solve the problem I will put it up on jack stands and look at it rotate and then get it to a shop to check it out...if necessary.

any one know the part number for the universal joints? I can find any I popped mine out and ran into every auto part store and pulled any that it called for and the closest was off by 1/16th on 2 sides when sitting flush on the other two

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back