Traction/Transfer Bars, Review/Testimonials

mysrt10

Been there, done that
Supporting Member
Reaction score
V1R Long-bar review

Installation: They are a really straightforward install. The only info I needed confirmation on was where to place the front brackets that need specific placement for frame drilling. The rest is just u-bolt plates, the bars with heim joints, and nuts/bolts/washers.

This took me my whole weekend (about 16 hours). Now I know Scott has advertised this as “a few hours†but, keep in mind I had the following obstacles: a 6.5 year old set of caltracs, an extremely rusty set of x-metal u-bolts, two cordless drills that couldn’t seem to last more than 15 minutes per charge, and a few harbor freight unibits. If anyone does this install themselves, I highly encourage you to get a new corded drill (if you don’t have one) and a very high quality unibit. If I had these items I probably could have cut 8 hours off the install time.

Adjustment: These along with caltracs are designed to set preload. I started with 3/4’s a turn on each side. This was a waste as I was 50 feet down the road and went to about half throttle in first gear and the truck effortlessly went sideways. I went home and readjusted to 1 turn each. This was better and may work for some, but I needed a little more. Next I set them at 1.5 turns. This is probably where I will stop. The truck stays pointed straight on launch and on hard acceleration.

Use: I will still need to work on the launching to gather data for 0-60/ 60 ft. times/techniques. Even without thought, I can say 0-60 and 60 ft. times are faster. I did a 5 mph rolling burnout just to clean off/lightly heat up of the BFG’s and man, did it grab hard in second! With caltracs, I could/would spin all the way through 1st and 2nd at about ½- ¾ throttle, but still keep it pointed straight. Now, still pointed straight you can really feel the front end lifting even while spinning in 1st. Grabbing 2nd gear, still spinning initially then… what’s this? Massive grip towards the beginning of 2nd??? I’m still in disbelief that I’m getting this much traction on a set of 5-year-old 22’s! 3rd gear, no spin just big lift of the front end!

Conclusion: Do they work? Yes! I had a set of DR’s at one point; they never even came close to this amount of grip for me (even with caltracs). For those of you that have been struggling to get into the 11’s or 12’s using DR’s or slicks, I believe that you could easily get there on your first track outing with these (especially those of you with FI setups). On the cost, why the f@#k would you spend 2-3k on exhaust, 3-7k on head/cam combos, 5-10k on a forged engine, 4-15k on FI setups, and then act like 1k on your suspension is too much?! The suspension on ANY vehicle is just as important as the engine/drivetrain. Period!

Buy them and you will see that this will prove to be the biggest bang for the buck mod!

null_zps6ac49cc4.jpg
[/IMG]
null_zpsc264eded.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Great review! Great results! If I end up keeping my truck this is on my list of future mods.

could not agree more with your assessment, second hooks, third pulls its crazy, have you pulled your swaybar, if not, do it then report again :)

could not agree more with your assessment, second hooks, third pulls its crazy, have you pulled your swaybar, if not, do it then report again :)

I'll give it a shot.

When will you be able to get to the track again?

I'm waiting on my bro, his truck will be finished soon, prob the end of the month I'll hit it up. Once i pulled that front sway bar it transfers so much more of the weight it is awesome.

Some of us here in Phoenix have been talking about these. It looks like they hang real low. How many inches from the back of the bar to the ground & from the front of the bar to the ground. We don't want to spend this kind of $$$ and hook them on a speed bump or curb. We have TEXAS size potholes here.

Some of us here in Phoenix have been talking about these. It looks like they hang real low. How many inches from the back of the bar to the ground & from the front of the bar to the ground. We don't want to spend this kind of $$$ and hook them on a speed bump or curb. We have TEXAS size potholes here.

Bro I drove over every speed bump in town and potholes are everywhere as well ;-) not just in AZ! Lol :)
Also I have gone in and out of steep driveways and such to test them and not an issue. Now I'm not saying there's not a place somewhere with the nations hugest speed bump but I'm all other instances I don't see issues and haven't scraped mine once and I'm lowered 2/4. A lowered RC I did recently had 4" before the tire. It should be about that same 4" on all trucks lowered or not. If you happen to find that speed bump that's that huge, you angle at it like a Vette or Ferrari
:rock: although I haven't found one yet and I purposely tried.

I measured, the rear bracket to ground 5 5/8" and the front is 9 3/8"

Keep in mind that I do not have the OEM slapper/overload leaf and I have a 1" front drop spring.

ok correct me if i am wrong but it looks like its hooked to the leaf springs at the axle no? if so there is no way they could ever hit a speed bump.

Great review and thanks! I'm getting the side exit exhaust and thinking about the bars after I get rims and slicks for the rear! Maybe I will get the bars and hopefully not need the slicks! Have you ran it at the track yet? If so what were your gains?

ok correct me if i am wrong but it looks like its hooked to the leaf springs at the axle no? if so there is no way they could ever hit a speed bump.

Correct, under the leaf springs. I think the concern was if their wheel dropped into a pot hole the bracket would come close to the pavement and the front bracket was the concern for the speed bumps.

well thing is if you hit a pothole big enough to hit them. you will have more problems than scraped paint on them you are probably loosing a tire and bending a rim lol

I measured, the rear bracket to ground 5 5/8" and the front is 9 3/8"

Keep in mind that I do not have the OEM slapper/overload leaf and I have a 1" front drop spring.

How come you removed your slapper/overload leaf spring. Also is that part of Jmb kit bolted to your leaf. Did Scott recommended this?

Nice sir! I cant wait to get mine they should be on the way :) :burnout:

How come you removed your slapper/overload leaf spring. Also is that part of Jmb kit bolted to your leaf. Did Scott recommended this?

Honestly... I don't remember exactly why I pulled the overload leaf. I pulled it when I installed the caltracs in '07.
Yes. Those are what's remaining of the stage one kit. I actually broke another bolt the other day and lost the associated bracket. I'm down to only three brackets. Lol!

Nice sir! I cant wait to get mine they should be on the way :) :burnout:

Yessir there's a Silver Set headed your way sir :)
Removing the overload spring isn't necessary but for those worried about clearance it would bring rear mount of bar up about 3/4" ;-)
Won't affect traction as my system is doing the brunt of the work now :chain:

I have one more set in Flame Red at introductory price of $995 as well. :rock:
Come and get em :drool:image.jpg

Thanks for the feedback MYSRT10. Unbiased, unopinionated, and from a previous CalTrac owner! :ridinghorse:

Bump for a follow up review with more miles under the bars and I'm personally interested in how they work with the 4.88's on the street.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back