Tranny problems as well...

SnakeBite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when having the brakes done that the trans is leaking from the main seal, and driving it I've been hearing a clunking noise in the rear end as well. When I'm driving and lift off the gas, then back on you can hear the clunk sound. I have the flashed PCM so my guess is its slowly destroying the the drivetrain because I drive like a frigging maniac... that's why I bought it right.

Any experience with dealing with these issues through the dealer. I know I need to swap the PCM back to orig before I take it in...

The clunking could be your U-joints going out. Do you have some vibration at highway speed too?

I had a u joint go out in the cummins. No vibe at first. The first thing I heard was some very faint clicking noise. Could only hear it with the windows down. After about a week of the clicking noise the vibration came.

SnakeBite said:
I noticed when having the brakes done that the trans is leaking from the main seal, and driving it I've been hearing a clunking noise in the rear end as well. When I'm driving and lift off the gas, then back on you can hear the clunk sound. I have the flashed PCM so my guess is its slowly destroying the the drivetrain because I drive like a frigging maniac... that's why I bought it right.

Any experience with dealing with these issues through the dealer. I know I need to swap the PCM back to orig before I take it in...

The stage 2 really shoudn't destroy your tranny:dontknow: I had mine for about 10 months now and smooth as silk. The Torque managment was there for the Towing. In fact some members are still doing ok with their trannies even with forced induction

Annu Kumar said:
The stage 2 really shoudn't destroy your tranny:dontknow: I had mine for about 10 months now and smooth as silk. The Torque managment was there for the Towing. In fact some members are still doing ok with their trannies even with forced induction
As you well know Annu these trannies are not the best thing to roll out of the factory. Example is Fast Freds truck.

Annu Kumar said:

Ive had my PCM a year now. Just assumed the tranny and rear is getting slammed by the way it hard shifts at WOT, which is 80% of the time for me.

How do like your new BMW 335?

Sounds just like mine. I have an 05 QC with 24k miles and just had the tranny replaced. I read on here that about half the 05 QC's had a bad tranny. The tech told me that when he checked it, the stock tranny had the wrong spacers on something or another.

I had that same clunking in the rear end which I still have but they said the u-joints were fine. I still think its the u-joints clunking. It's all about the warranty. Just blow it up and get a new one.

LOL.... Blow it up and get a new one.

I don't have to wait for that to happen do I?

If I take it in now, hopefully they'll take care of it. I got 25k on it now.

Thanks for the heads up!

My truck has the same clunk sound. Someone else posted about this on another forum and everyone said theirs did this. Mine did this when I first bought it (I am the 2nd owner since 7k miles) and it had the clunking before I put the stage II in it. Besides I thought hard shifts saved the transmission?:dontknow:

Get under the truck and grab the drive shaft and try to turn it. If there is play then the noise is probably from the U-joints. If not it most likely in the rear end.

Yes, clunking noise is usually in the rear end. Try driving around a corner at idle with the window down. Listen for the noise then.

xs190ue7.jpg

Annu Kumar said:
How is shifting harder with no torque mang. and an extra 30 hp not going to hurt a allready weak tranny??/?

Bone said:
Yes, clunking noise is usually in the rear end. Try driving around a corner at idle with the window down. Listen for the noise then.

View attachment 22088
:dito:

If it "hit's" in a turn...side or spider gear's... or a tooth out of both.:dontknow:

MWM said:
Sounds just like mine. I have an 05 QC with 24k miles and just had the tranny replaced. I read on here that about half the 05 QC's had a bad tranny. The tech told me that when he checked it, the stock tranny had the wrong spacers on something or another.

I had that same clunking in the rear end which I still have but they said the u-joints were fine. I still think its the u-joints clunking. It's all about the warranty. Just blow it up and get a new one.

Can you check with your tech if they fixed the problem on the 06 QC's???

SnakeBite said:
Ive had my PCM a year now. Just assumed the tranny and rear is getting slammed by the way it hard shifts at WOT, which is 80% of the time for me.

How do like your new BMW 335?

335 I is amazing ride. I think it runs low 13's stock:dontknow: Small turbos but lots of good Torque for sure:rock: and the steptronic makes driving more fun

MWM said:

Just as an FYI I experienced a leaking rear main seal and was having problems with a delayed 2-3 upshift (2005 QC Auto). 1-2 was great would chirp the tires on the shift. Long story short tech (who I have known since being a kid and trust) ordered new front bands for trans when he dropped it to replace the main seal. When he pulled the trans apart at 9,200 miles the steels and clutches were smoked. Looked like someone took a blow torch to them. Reason was that the actuator, a white plastic retainer, was missing a spring. This spring allows the trans to build up pressure before it shifts. Result of this missing was no fluid build up before the shifts. Does not shift as hard from 1-2 like it did but the trans won't get smoked either. I have no idea if this was a major problem with the SRT-10 transmssions or not.
I have also noticed the clunk mentioned above which may be some backlash. Can't tell if it is coming coming from the rear or the trans. Anyway just figured I would add this to the info posted here.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back