TRANNY PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if the new 8 speed automatic tranny will work with my 06srt10 ...i have had the 48re rebuilt 7 times in past yr and the back half burns up within 4-7 days ...three differnt builders same result ,im done with the 48re...any help would be great

According to VENOMOUS1, no----I ask the same question, seems something to do with the computer. :dontknow:

Have you replaced the transmission cooler every time, transmission cooler lines flushed / replaced. I have seen this before when debris from a previous failure was not removed from the system causing a failure of the same component.

I asked the same question to a bunch of people myself. I only found one guy that would even consider taking the challenge and it was going to be expensive 10k+. The electronics was going to take a lot of R&D to get it working with our trucks.

Let me offer some info about the RE tranny, it may be possible that the shop who rebuilt your tranny did a remove and replacement of the overdrive unit instead of rebuilding your original overdrive unit, So whats the difference ? i cant get into detail without opening the ATSG manual but there is a big difference in the internals of a 47/48 RE GAS 318/360 VS 47/48 RE V10/Diesel espescially in the overdrive, Yes you can interchange them and it will work but the diesel/v10 will burn up the overdrive of the smaller v8 RE. I had this almost happen to me when i tried to take the ez way of a overdrive swap for a diesel and as i was reading through the manual i found out and i looked inside and saw the difference of the components so i went back and argued and showed the sales guy at the tranny parts house so he refunded me and i rebuilt mine, Also the Sprag in the overdrive can be installed upside down and yes it will work for a short while, Also the bores in the valvebody can be worn and cause problems, And lastly stay away from trans go shift kits, they can make a great shifting tranny become a slush box. cope racing transmissions is who id speak to also, he is a mopar only tranny guy, he was a transmission engineer for dodge also. hope i put some hope back into your 47re

oops 48re lol, also in the diesels there is a check valve in the cooler line that would be known for getting stuck, but diesels used a small tank in the cooler line near the block where the check valve is located, im not sure if our trucks use a check valve but it can be removed. be sure to have pure atf4 and the converter checked out

Could anyone tell me if the new 8 speed automatic tranny will work with my 06srt10 ...i have had the 48re rebuilt 7 times in past yr and the back half burns up within 4-7 days ...three differnt builders same result ,im done with the 48re...any help would be great

I can have your 48re built right or we can fo T56 or 6060. We can also do a Turbo 400 or 4l80 GM tranny as well. All are viable options. Not sure what your builders have done with no success, but definitely not cool.

flushing is critical. On my diesel I lost 2nd intermittently but I chose to do the whole Tran. I flushed the cooler and lines with an rx11 air conditioning flush kit and all sorts of nasty gunk and filings came out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back